AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   AMD Motherboards & CPUs (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/4-amd-motherboards-and-cpus/)
-   -   Experiences of a putz (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/amd-motherboards-and-cpus/7606-experiences-of-a-putz.html)

SteveI 20th July, 2002 10:19 PM

Experiences of a putz

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, I admit it. I finally got around to try unlocking again.

I went out and got materials, and tried to first unlock my old first generation XP 1600+... total failure...

Then I remembered the new ones have a much smaller pits, so, what the hey... I used tons of scotch tape, gave it the crazy glue, then the rear defogger repair kit, and the practice came in handy. I boot up and check all the multipliers....

I have most between 6x - 9x... and NONE of the higher ones.. totally useless to me. I wasn't going to try again, but I have some time for once... so I looked at it, and noticed some of my traces were a bit thin. Carefully, without a net, i added a bit more paint... Well, not perfect, but I now have 11.5x and 12.5x, which is all I need.

From max of 10.5x166.7 = 1750,
I can now do:
11.5 x 156 = 1794 or,
12.5 x 143.5 = 1794.

Any higher on either multiplier gives me blue screens or reboots.

BTW, when I retried, I forgot to plug in the glaciator... Needless to say, I was miffed after getting the 12.5x and the system just shut down... I even rebooted before I realized that the cpu was over heating. I attempted to plug it in, and literally burned my hand on the HS... I had to blow a house fan on it and went out of the house for a few minutes to curse at myself... and pray.. But it's all good now.

I think I'll leave it this way for a while:

WyrmMaster 20th July, 2002 11:13 PM

nice overclock, exact same fsb/multi as im running

Orbit 21st July, 2002 12:06 AM

I am totally jealous.

Pinky 21st July, 2002 12:35 AM

The fan is very important, you'll need to make a mental note of that for next time :p

Samuknow 21st July, 2002 12:38 AM

I am going to try my Morgan again. Very nice work...

SteveI 21st July, 2002 12:50 AM

Well.. not so fast.
The system just crashed in the middle of a game install. Now windows is all screwed up, and thinks the game is installed, when it ain't. Every time I try to install it, it says it's there... When I try to play it, it crashes. So I try to repair, system hangs... Now I'm reformatting again!!! :(
I just reformatted last night!

Well, I'm gonna have to take it down a few notches.. And it was stable for hours too, I burned in and ran tons of benches too.

cloasters 21st July, 2002 12:53 AM

Higher FSB is better for good performance than higher Clock Speed, isn't it? FSB is everything while clock speed just looks good. Or am I wrong?

SteveI 21st July, 2002 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by cloasters
Higher FSB is better for good performance than higher Clock Speed, isn't it? FSB is everything while clock speed just looks good. Or am I wrong?
Yes and no..
I wanted to experiment a little because running 167 FSB is a bit iffy with PCI at 41.7, and AGP at 83+. It ran fine for a while, but I wasn't sure if the high mhz, with latency being tweaked wasn't a good thing.... So I had to mess with it. :rolleyes:

And I fold!

Update:
I'm back up on my main machine again... It really comes in handy to have a few back up machines lying around :-D . I strongly suspect my Video is the culprit... The June driver for my Radeon could be the cause. I've already overclocked the old LE to retail specs (flashed), and after updating the driver, I've gotten a couple of AGP errors. When I reinstalled last night, the June driver was there. (just noticed this time around, and didn't do it this time:) ). So I'll start pushing it again... What was the subject of this thread again??? :p
1760 seems stable :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

drow_elf 21st July, 2002 03:33 AM

hehe best burn in i know: warcraft 3 if you can run it for 3hrs- you have a stable system (i've gotten higher temps running it than any "cpu heater" like 109F) watch out for the map selection screens though they seem a bit buggy!

SteveI 21st July, 2002 03:47 AM

My favorite burn in programs are:
Diablo2 LOD
Warcraft3 &
Starwars, Galactic Battlegrounds.
:) :) :)

Pinky 21st July, 2002 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SteveI
What was the subject of this thread again??? :p
I fry my pepperoni before putting the pizza in the oven so I can under-cook the crust :D

bldegle2 21st July, 2002 03:27 PM

8kha+

the newer bios's for that board kick in the 1/5 divider @166 and beyond, just like the 8k3a+.

puts PCI and AGP back into spec.

you are killing any potential bandwidth gains with the lower FSB.

these AMD issues really scale well with bandwidth, and that can only be achieved with a FSB clock and a lower x.

9x206 here with the 8k3a+ and a 2000+ unlocked.

air cooled.

baldy:cool:

SteveI 21st July, 2002 04:44 PM

Re: 8kha+

Quote:

Originally posted by bldegle2
the newer bios's for that board kick in the 1/5 divider @166 and beyond, just like the 8k3a+.

puts PCI and AGP back into spec.....
baldy:cool:

Please let's not start this again, K?? If Epox tech says it's so, I'll believe him.. I was running 10.5x166.7, and PCI and AGP was way out of spec and had huge latency.. My HDD is connected to a PCI card, and performance sucked as a result. I've indirectly been trying to measure it, and my HDD peformance degrades at higher FSBs. PCI latency to run stable at higher FSBs are the only conclusion I could come up with. My best HDD performance is at spec 133fsb. By your theory, it should be equal at 166.