AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   AMD Motherboards & CPUs (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/4-amd-motherboards-and-cpus/)
-   -   Just call me "Mr. Lucky" (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/amd-motherboards-and-cpus/941-just-call-me-mr-lucky.html)

dabaerman 28th October, 2001 08:05 AM

Just call me "Mr. Lucky"

why you ask. well i didn't burn up my athlon 900! whew:D
i got tired of the warm (not real hot) air from the psu. i think the fan is a little lame anyway. i look at Asus probe to see the cpu temp is 50c. so i change out the psu. decide to put the duron 850 back in. hsf off, hsf on. turn on computer and after boot i check Asus probe for a look at the temp. gee, why is the hsf fan speed
flashing ZERO! omg and a few quick expletives while pulling the plug. was really afraid to look. but no smoke or smell of burnt
stuff. hsf was HOT. plugged hsf power to mb and pushed the start
button. can grin and say that i write this using that cpu. my lucky
day.

duron 850@950, the athlon 900 is taking a break :D

dimmreaper 28th October, 2001 09:25 AM

My Millenium Glaciator will keep my CPU at 58C without the CPU fan running, just the case fans a-blowin' . . . . .

Phiber 28th October, 2001 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dimmreaper
My Millenium Glaciator will keep my CPU at 58C without the CPU fan running, just the case fans a-blowin' . . . . .
how many case fans would that be?

Spode 28th October, 2001 02:45 PM

I had a chip up to 94c once and it still works to this day :)

Oh hang on. no. I killd it. doh! But it was fine!

Superman 28th October, 2001 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Spode
I imagine you have a lot of CPU accidents :D

surlyjoe 28th October, 2001 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Superman53142

I imagine you have a lot of CPU accidents :D

and mobo accidents, and vid card accidents, and hard drive accidents and ........ :D

dimmreaper 28th October, 2001 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by phiber

how many case fans would that be?

Two smallish ones that only move around 100CFM . . . .

Superman 28th October, 2001 09:20 PM

Quote:

Two smallish ones that only move around 100CFM . . . .
Guess that says a lot for the heatsink. Just a quick question. I have little concern for noise. Which is going to keep an Athlon 1200 cooler, the Glaciator or the SK-6?

dimmreaper 28th October, 2001 09:51 PM

Quote:

Guess that says a lot for the heatsink. Just a quick question. I have little concern for noise. Which is going to keep an Athlon 1200 cooler, the Glaciator or the SK-6?

SK-6 will if it is non-defective(some of them don't have all the fins soldered correctly) and you put a 38-40CFM fan on it(or better yet the Delta 50CFM focused flow). And your best bet would be to duct air directly to the heatsinks fan, with a 120mm 115CFM Panaflow in the side panel feeding the duct work.

Superman 28th October, 2001 09:55 PM

Quote:

SK-6 will if it is non-defective(some of them don't have all the fins soldered correctly) and you put a 38-40CFM fan on it(or better yet the Delta 50CFM focused flow).
Yeah, that 38mm delta looks nice. Little taller, but stronger, and louder too! :p

What about the Akasa? I'm a little worried about getting a defective SK-6 now that you told me about it (ignorance is bliss). Is the Akasa as good as the SK-6 and should I get that or the SK-6 in your opinion with the 60x38 delta.

dimmreaper 28th October, 2001 10:08 PM

I think Personally I'd go for the SK-6, and if it was defective fix it by resoldering the improperly soldered fins with silver solder(and have the plate shop electro-plate it with silver too ;) ). But not having personal expirience with either the SK-6 or the Akasa puts me in a possition were I don't feel comfortable suggesting one over the other to anyone.

Superman 28th October, 2001 10:11 PM

Quote:

I think Personally I'd go for the SK-6, and if it was defective fix it by resoldering the improperly soldered fins with silver solder(and have the plate shop electro-plate it with silver too ;) ). But not having personal expirience with either the SK-6 or the Akasa puts me in a possition were I don't feel comfortable suggesting one over the other to anyone.
Cool. If it isn't soldered right my dad can fix it, he's an auto mechanic and does that kind of stuff all the time. Thanks for your help.

Phiber 28th October, 2001 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Spode
I had a chip up to 94c once and it still works to this day :)

lol i remember when that happened

cloasters 28th October, 2001 11:31 PM

I've only read one review, or perhaps it was a shootout that was concerned with the Akasa Silver Mountain. Not impressive. Not in the SK-6 class. At all.

Superman 28th October, 2001 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cloasters
I've only read one review, or perhaps it was a shootout that was concerned with the Akasa Silver Mountain. Not impressive. Not in the SK-6 class. At all.
OK, I've asked this question before and gotten a wide variety of answers, ranging from essentially it's the root of all evil to it's better than liquid nitrogen. All I've heard about the SK-6 is that it kicks a$$. So when I'm ready to get an XP I'll get an SK-6.

Phiber 29th October, 2001 01:19 AM

Quote:

OK, I've asked this question before and gotten a wide variety of answers, ranging from essentially it's the root of all evil to it's better than liquid nitrogen. All I've heard about the SK-6 is that it kicks a$$. So when I'm ready to get an XP I'll get an SK-6.

umm... only if u can put up with a Delta Screamer thou

Superman 29th October, 2001 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by phiber

umm... only if u can put up with a Delta Screamer thou

I can put up with anything. I'll just buy a few more 120mm's to soft the pitch of the noise a bit :p

dimmreaper 29th October, 2001 01:55 AM

three words:

Active Noise Cancelation

dimmreaper 29th October, 2001 01:56 AM

BTW- how much air you guys think a 40cc two-stroke leafblower kicks out?

Phiber 29th October, 2001 02:23 AM

Quote:

BTW- how much air you guys think a 40cc two-stroke leafblower kicks out?
enough to blow leaves?
in other words if u use one and run it at lower volts it would be quieter