AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Software > Benchmarking

Benchmarking Post your Benchmarks here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th August, 2004, 09:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

Net Speeds?

Recently my ISP upgraded the speeds that we get for no additional charge. That prompted me to test just how fast my internet is. I went to the DSL Reports benchmarking page and got a pretty nice (IMO) speed of 3677kbps down and 503 up. I'm currently using cox cable internet at a price point of $40 US a month.

I'm interested in what speeds you guys get, what service you have and how much you pay.
Old 18th August, 2004, 11:09 PM

2 mbit down and 1 mbit up. ( 230 kbs/125kbs) adsl.
to much ~ $110 or £61 a month. yes that $1320 or £732 a year.
Old 21st August, 2004, 01:58 AM

Just arrived at the WVU campus (where I will be attending campus for a while) and tested out the net speeds. Dowload speeds are pretty much the same as my old cable internet was the other day. BUT upload speeds are an amazing 3,000 kb/s! I think I'm gonna have to set up SOME kind of server here sometime soon (if for no other reason than that I can.)
Old 21st August, 2004, 04:11 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

1200 kbps down and 200 kbps up. I'm using CableOne, and paying $40/month
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st August, 2004, 04:37 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

SteveI gets almost 10,000kbps. I get about 2800kbps down and 350kbps up. That's with Road Runner and I pay $55 a month.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st August, 2004, 05:04 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Just ran the test again... seems a bit slow today.
Optimumonline for $45 a month. Honestly, I hate Cablevision, but there's always a silver lining.
Attached Thumbnails
Net Speeds?-netspeed.jpg  
Old 21st August, 2004, 06:27 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

i get 1240 down and 531 up. local phone company. local cable company has crappy techs that don't maintain thier systems...might get 800 up on local cable, but it is inconsistent.
oh yeah i pay 35 with antivirus and firewall software.
No Comcast? LMAO

Last edited by cadaveca; 21st August, 2004 at 06:33 AM.
Old 21st August, 2004, 03:10 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Just downloaded SP2 for winxp. Sustained download of 2megbytes per second. I think the speed test for dslreports are limited by servers at around 9,000-10,000 kbps. Based on what I ACTUALLY got from the microsoft servers, I should be scoring in the 16,000 kbs range.
Old 21st August, 2004, 08:19 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

that's one hell of a connection.
i cannot even wish of that here for anything under 160 a month, but the city limits are about 2 blocks away from my house.
Old 21st August, 2004, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
Just downloaded SP2 for winxp. Sustained download of 2megbytes per second. I think the speed test for dslreports are limited by servers at around 9,000-10,000 kbps. Based on what I ACTUALLY got from the microsoft servers, I should be scoring in the 16,000 kbs range.
Sorry if I insult your intelligence on this one, but are you sure that you weren't getting 2 megabits per second? If you downloaded it at 2 MB per second it should have taken less than a minute. Plus, if you get download speeds that are genuinely 2 megabytes per second I'm moving next door to you real soon.
Old 29th August, 2004, 11:27 PM

I just got on campus today @ RIT in Rochester, NY and here are my speeds!! Alot better than my Road Runner!!

2004-08-29 18:24:53 EST: 5291 / 457
Your download speed : 5418217 bps, or 5291 kbps.
A 661.4 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 468616 bps, or 457 kbps.
Asetek Waterchill Antartica
2x512 OCZ Platinum LL pc3200 @2.6v
2xSeagate 80 gig SATA raid-0
ATI 9800pro (460/800)
SB live 5.1 (old)
Pioneer 16x DL+DVD burner
Dell M992 19"crt 1600x1200 .24dp

Soon to be added

ATI x800XT-PE

Server
P4 1.6
Dell 4550
80gig IDE
512mb DDR PC-2100
Windows Server 2003 EE
[url=http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=45]
AOA Team fah
Old 29th August, 2004, 11:37 PM

That's quite a rig to be taking to campus. Where is the money coming from for the x800xt? Just one suggestion - since you visit these forums I assume you have at least a medium level of tech-savvyness. Help people with their computers. If you'd like, you can charge them for it. Just find out how much the tech support center at your school is charging and then find a good median price. Works like a charm since no one in my dorm seems to know how to use their computers.
Old 30th August, 2004, 02:38 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomfreq
Sorry if I insult your intelligence on this one, but are you sure that you weren't getting 2 megabits per second? If you downloaded it at 2 MB per second it should have taken less than a minute. Plus, if you get download speeds that are genuinely 2 megabytes per second I'm moving next door to you real soon.
I get that a lot... Optimum Online has probably the fastest home cablemodem speed in the country... At least where I am. BTW, I haven't tried any tweaks. Supposedly, there are things that will improve speed.

The download took about 90 seconds, give or take... It may have dipped a little toward the end to like 1.9mB/s.
Old 30th August, 2004, 04:15 AM

Quote:
I get that a lot... Optimum Online has probably the fastest home cablemodem speed in the country... At least where I am. BTW, I haven't tried any tweaks. Supposedly, there are things that will improve speed.

The download took about 90 seconds, give or take... It may have dipped a little toward the end to like 1.9mB/s.
Oh man...... You have me salivating at that net speed. I can't believe you pay so little for a speed that high. I'm so moving back to NJ after college lol.
Old 6th September, 2004, 06:32 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

I recently got a new service, ADSL from China Telecom. It's speed is about 2000Kb down and about 200Kb up. This is the best part, I pay $168 per year, $14 per month.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 6th September, 2004, 06:54 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
That's why there's more than one server for doing speed tests on. The problem with speed tests is that you're reliant on the weakest link between you and the server. Normally, the link between you and your ISP is the weakest, but in your case that's obviously not the case. Instead, some upstream link is weaker, so you don't see what your line is actually capable of.

Try some other speed testers and see how they do, but I think your line is pushing what the testers are capable of.
Old 6th September, 2004, 02:01 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
...Try some other speed testers and see how they do, but I think your line is pushing what the testers are capable of.
The regular sites, mostly CA give me much slower results. I poked around and found that the fastest results are using a server in NYC. Also, if you look at the results closely, the record is 9999kbps. I'm pretty certain that the test is limited and the ceiling for results are 10K.

In the end, it doesn't matter... It's FAST, more than fast enough for me.