AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Case Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th February, 2004, 11:28 PM
Metal Wizard

WeldZilla 2 "A New Beginning" Mod pics

Hey I am a confirmed Mod addict. It is a compulsion that I have no control over. Thank goodness!! It keeps me awake at night, planning moves. I do not sit down and draw up plans. ( YUCK! ) I just get an idea
then I get a saw,dremel,drills,welder,lots of toys. I do not deliberate on it, I just start cutting then I am committed. My wife thinks I should be. I am one of those who believes the old addage," He who hesitates is lost"
So I ordered this new Enermax case, it has so much room inside. It was just prime to cut up. So I go and now it is time to Rock it's world!!! As I like to say, " Fello Maniacs, Let the Modding Begin!!
Attached Thumbnails
WeldZilla 2 "A New Beginning" Mod pics-safety1.jpg   WeldZilla 2 "A New Beginning" Mod pics-victim.jpg   WeldZilla 2 "A New Beginning" Mod pics-chop.jpg   WeldZilla 2 "A New Beginning" Mod pics-glow-.jpg  
Old 28th February, 2004, 11:38 PM
Metal Wizard

Direction

you see I like my psu right up on my homemade (modded) desk. But the way it sits. I have to roll back my chair to gain easy access to the rom drives. Well on WeldZilla 2 the drives will be facing me. I Will post a couple pics that show you where all this is going.

WZ
Attached Thumbnails
WeldZilla 2 "A New Beginning" Mod pics-change.jpg   WeldZilla 2 "A New Beginning" Mod pics-taking-form-1.jpg   WeldZilla 2 "A New Beginning" Mod pics-riveting.jpg  
Old 28th February, 2004, 11:45 PM
Metal Wizard

hmm?

After tacking it all together. The space behind the "L" needed filled. I cut a piece of case material 2in. x 8.5 in. and welded it in. but, I still needed something to put that bottom lip for the side cover to go on. I search around and found some left over pieces. They were some metal bar stool legs I cut down for a guy this last winter. They were a perfect fit!! this is too much fun!!

WZ
Attached Thumbnails
WeldZilla 2 "A New Beginning" Mod pics-corner-in.jpg   WeldZilla 2 "A New Beginning" Mod pics-weldzilla-lives-.jpg   WeldZilla 2 "A New Beginning" Mod pics-pieces.jpg  
Old 29th February, 2004, 12:00 AM
Metal Wizard

Non-removable mobo tray?

I don't think so!! Nothing a drill and a 1/8 inch bit can't cure. I did not like the open top so I fabbed up a new one. Stay tuned!!

WZ
Attached Thumbnails
WeldZilla 2 "A New Beginning" Mod pics-removable-mobo.jpg   WeldZilla 2 "A New Beginning" Mod pics-top-tacked.jpg  
Old 29th February, 2004, 12:03 AM
Metal Wizard

Oh yes and as you can see I cut the original side panel down to fit the new (shorter side). I cut a hole in it and test fitted it, Along with what will be the new right side panel. This all leaves me a little short in the panel department. I will make up the difference with Plexi-glass

WZ
Old 29th February, 2004, 02:13 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Your up in lights!
http://www.aoaforums.com/
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th February, 2004, 02:35 AM
Metal Wizard

Well Thankyou, I am honored! Will be posting more as I go. Again Thankyou. Hope this motivates those who have been considering modding. It really is fun.
Hope you try it and find out just how satisfying putting your imagination to work can be!!

WZ
Old 29th February, 2004, 02:49 AM
Metal Wizard

Had a thought

Kinda stuck it together earlier. This helped to give me a little reinforcement for my ideas. Took a couple different shots of it this
way that i could sit and ponder from time to time. This will also complete the picture in your mind of where i am heading.
Attached Thumbnails
WeldZilla 2 "A New Beginning" Mod pics-fun-fun.jpg   WeldZilla 2 "A New Beginning" Mod pics-good-times.jpg   WeldZilla 2 "A New Beginning" Mod pics-slowly-but-surely.jpg  
Old 29th February, 2004, 03:02 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Strange is good.":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th February, 2004, 03:05 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

I am very interested to see how your 5 1/4" drives fit. My plextor would never fit in there. But I think my other drives probibly would.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 29th February, 2004, 03:11 AM
Metal Wizard

Sure it would it is a full 9 1/4 inches deep.
My pioneer DVR-AO5 is only 7 1/2 inches deep, as are most writers. Lots'o room
Old 29th February, 2004, 03:18 AM
Metal Wizard

Hole cut time

Well it was time to cut a few holes in this set up!!
So I put the 121mm hole saw in the drill press and
started cutting. Wow!! Instead of a couple hours of rough cutting with my dremel. I was able to cut all 3 holes clean in 25 minutes!! This is too easy

WZ
Attached Thumbnails
WeldZilla 2 "A New Beginning" Mod pics-hole-cut-1.jpg   WeldZilla 2 "A New Beginning" Mod pics-hole-cut-3.jpg   WeldZilla 2 "A New Beginning" Mod pics-3-x-121mm-holes.jpg  
Old 29th February, 2004, 03:56 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

You made me go and measure my drive. 8 1/2"

guess it would fit.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 29th February, 2004, 06:25 AM
Metal Wizard

greating cutting tool

I was in the hardware store looking for new jig saw blades. I found and bought what I wanted. However I discovered a new blade!! A blade that would forever change case cutting. A blade that could lead you through and into and safely back from a Time Space Continuem. A blade that could perhaps save the planet and it's inhabitants from the powers of evil even. Ok well with a guide, it will cut long smooth lines. It worked great for cutting the case itself and the side covers. It is a fiber blade for a skilsaw. A 7in. bade was only $5. here is a pic of the setup.

WZ
Attached Thumbnails
WeldZilla 2 "A New Beginning" Mod pics-fiber-saw.jpg   WeldZilla 2 "A New Beginning" Mod pics-tools.jpg  
Old 29th February, 2004, 12:59 PM
AOA Staff

I sell abrasive disks, amoung other things. I've never seen one for a skilsaw. Is the speed rating for the blade correct for the saw?

You can also get TCT blades for cutting non-ferrous like aluminium.

Keep it up! Looking forward to seeing the finished case.
Old 29th February, 2004, 06:52 PM

We used to sell them where I worked for B&D, they were a lot thinner than normal angle grinder discs, presumably so that they'd fit the spindle alright or something. Wouldn't have liked using them since they were thinner and larger radius so it just looked as if they'd shatter if you didnt keep them straight - not something that u want to happen at that speed.

If I remember right, angle grinders and circular saws run about the same speed and power, so theoretically there's no problem.

AOA Team fah
Old 29th February, 2004, 07:22 PM
AOA Staff

Yes, cutting disks are much thinner than grinding disks and they will shatter if used incorrectly, potentially causing serious injury. So long as the RPM of the saw doesn't exceed the max RPM of the disk and the bore hole is the correct size it would be ok.
Old 29th February, 2004, 07:30 PM

sorry what i ment was that the cutting discs we sold were even thinner than the angle grinder cutting discs. Can't beat a jigsaw for cutting up metal, you don't have to be that much of a pro to cut straight and its fairly safe if a bit slow.

AOA Team fah
Old 29th February, 2004, 08:24 PM
Metal Wizard

Much ado

The blade I used was designed for chop saws and yes skilsaws. It is quite thin and flexible. If you were to use it in an angle grinder, you would want to take care to use it only on it's edge for cutting as it is quite flexible. If you were to use it on an angle you might cause it to break if too much pressure was applied. I would only use my jig saw if I were cutting rounded corners, as that is their intend application. I would never post a pic of a metal tool that was being used improperly. Metal working is enjoyable if done with safety as your first priority. You see metal has been my livelihood since 1974. There is very little I do not know about it.Workplace safety is my first priority!!! So if you decide to use this disc, you would reasonably safe to do so in a skill saw remember, a circular saw has much more guard area to keep a shattered blade from flying at you. I always wear a full face shield when cutting or grinding metal as well as hearing protection. I am a great believer in PPE.
Here is a pic of the package that the blade came in and part of the award ensemble I received last thursday at work.

WZ
Attached Thumbnails
WeldZilla 2 "A New Beginning" Mod pics-package.jpg   WeldZilla 2 "A New Beginning" Mod pics-what-i-do.jpg  
Old 29th February, 2004, 08:52 PM
AOA Staff

I guessed you were good on safety because the first of your pics shows your PPE. Congratulations on the award.