AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Case Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th May, 2004, 05:23 AM

Thumbs up Project "Liquid Silver" Lian Li/EXOS Mod update 5/19

After a few weeks of debating, searching, researching, reading posts and laughing at some pretty funny threads I have decided to prove some of the naysayers wrong by using an external WC unit on my latest project.

The case is going to be the Lian Li PC73 SL cooled by a modified Koolance Exos Al unit. The mod being the unit will be recessed into the top of the case for a (Hopefully) Factory look.

Why would I do this you ask? 1 Becuase I can and 2, It turns a generic Lian Li and Exos into something a little different.

Some of you will/may question my choice of an external unit and that's fine. My point is to show that they can be a VERY comparable choice to a DIY kit and still keep the custom/Mod factor.

I will post pics as I go when I have a chance.

Thanks for the help, laughs and hopefully compliments.

Bobby
Attached Thumbnails
Project "Liquid Silver" Lian Li/EXOS Mod-dscf0051.jpg   Project "Liquid Silver" Lian Li/EXOS Mod-ext-a03_02.jpg   Project "Liquid Silver" Lian Li/EXOS Mod-dscf0052.jpg  

Last edited by fpsfreak; 19th May, 2004 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Project Update
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th May, 2004, 05:27 AM

An inside shot showing how much room this thing has. Talk about elbow room and area to grow. The other shot is of the HD cage with nice pull handle and full rubber isolators for real quite drives. SHould keep my 2 WD 80Gig SATA's and my 40Gig JB quite
Attached Thumbnails
Project "Liquid Silver" Lian Li/EXOS Mod-dscf0055.jpg   Project "Liquid Silver" Lian Li/EXOS Mod-dscf0056.jpg  

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th May, 2004, 05:30 AM

In this shot you can see how both the MB side cover and top of the case are both covered in 1/4 inch thick soundproofing which is extremely well and neatly applied.
Attached Thumbnails
Project "Liquid Silver" Lian Li/EXOS Mod-dscf0060.jpg  

Old 8th May, 2004, 05:32 AM

Well 4 hours of Measuring.....Measuring again.......And than Measure one more time before cutting yeilded this........Temp mounted to check clearances and what the look would be. I think it looks pretty good how about you guys?
Attached Thumbnails
Project "Liquid Silver" Lian Li/EXOS Mod-dscf0069.jpg   Project "Liquid Silver" Lian Li/EXOS Mod-dscf0070.jpg  

Old 8th May, 2004, 05:33 AM

Here's a shot showing the position of the Rad and how it fits in. Like a glove. I was even able to use the firm rubber fan ducts so the entire Rad surface still gets an even, smooth flow of air.
Attached Thumbnails
Project "Liquid Silver" Lian Li/EXOS Mod-dscf0071.jpg  

Old 8th May, 2004, 05:34 AM

No good doing all this work and not being able to see it so $15 worth of materials, 2 hours of Measure....Measure....Measure cut and we get this.....
Attached Thumbnails
Project "Liquid Silver" Lian Li/EXOS Mod-dscf0066.jpg   Project "Liquid Silver" Lian Li/EXOS Mod-dscf0068.jpg  

Old 8th May, 2004, 05:35 AM

I figured I might as well keep cutting and decided on this location for the res. as it keeps it the highest point, allows for easy filling and viewing of the coolant level. First up, Measure.....Measure...Measure (Do you notice a theme here? Lol) and than 1 hour of cutting and filing with a long file got me this...
Attached Thumbnails
Project "Liquid Silver" Lian Li/EXOS Mod-dscf0075.jpg  

Old 8th May, 2004, 05:36 AM

When I was happy with the final fit this is how the res looks mounted in place. What do you guys think? Should look good when it's glowing Orange from the 2 12" UV CCFL's and DYE.
Attached Thumbnails
Project "Liquid Silver" Lian Li/EXOS Mod-dscf0076.jpg  

Old 8th May, 2004, 05:36 AM

Well.....This is where she sits right now. Tonight should be mounting of the control board and starting the wiring, Layout of the CCFL's and possibly start the duct from the back to the RAD. Pics should be here Tom. am.
Attached Thumbnails
Project "Liquid Silver" Lian Li/EXOS Mod-dscf0073.jpg  

Old 8th May, 2004, 05:39 AM

Not really a productive night but hey I WAS at work
Managed to get the control board mounted and partially wired.

The other picture is the mounting plate for the pump along with the rubber isolators.

Not being one to waste, I reused the handles from the Koolance unit as panel pull handles.
Attached Thumbnails
Project "Liquid Silver" Lian Li/EXOS Mod-dscf0065.jpg   Project "Liquid Silver" Lian Li/EXOS Mod-pump.jpg   Project "Liquid Silver" Lian Li/EXOS Mod-handle.jpg  

Old 8th May, 2004, 05:41 AM

Finished Res mount. Just need to clean up tape residue.
Attached Thumbnails
Project "Liquid Silver" Lian Li/EXOS Mod-res.jpg  

Old 8th May, 2004, 05:44 AM

Well, that's were she sits right now. The CCFL's - Orange UV DYE - Aluminum Floppy Bezel - Aluminum Drive bay w Auto flip down door - PSU Sleeve Kit - Fan Sleeve Kit - TweakMonster VGA HeatSinks - Koolance 300 Series WB for CPU - 180 Series WB for 9800XT were all delivered by my Fedex Man

More pics hopefully by Sunday if I can work on it over the weekend

Last edited by fpsfreak; 8th May, 2004 at 05:59 AM.
Old 8th May, 2004, 01:11 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Darn! I forgot to mention you made front page your first day back!

http://www.aoaforums.com/
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 8th May, 2004, 01:23 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

A completely factory look! Very nice workmanship, looks like a single piece forged unit!

Having and loving my own Koolance I'm curious about why you decided to farm things out a bit rather than taking the easy way out and just installing it as a single unit?

Would the EXOS have breathing problems in her new location otherwise, Or did you have other requirements you wanted to meet?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 8th May, 2004, 03:15 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Very nice work, fpsfreak!
Old 8th May, 2004, 07:02 PM
AOA Staff

Top job!
Old 9th May, 2004, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
Darn! I forgot to mention you made front page your first day back!

http://www.aoaforums.com/
Oh My God !! What do I say except THANKS!! Now this is an honor Now It HAS to be top notch

Thanks Guys !!

Old 9th May, 2004, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
A completely factory look! Very nice workmanship, looks like a single piece forged unit!

Having and loving my own Koolance I'm curious about why you decided to farm things out a bit rather than taking the easy way out and just installing it as a single unit?

Would the EXOS have breathing problems in her new location otherwise, Or did you have other requirements you wanted to meet?
One of the reasons was with my 13 month old son running around and loving ANYTHING electronic, It was a fear of mine of him tipping it off the tower.

The other reason.... I wanted to be different

Another reason......Somebody over at "Another" Forum said it couldn't be done.

I think it will breathe easier in the case versus up top. The path of air is just MORE free flowing in this arrangement.

Thanks Again Guys...... More pics soon

Old 9th May, 2004, 12:21 PM
AOA Staff

Are you going to duct air in towards the rad or just let it use the air in the case?
Old 9th May, 2004, 05:14 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Excellent work!!!
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah