AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Case Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th January, 2002, 05:41 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

How important is grounding the parts in a plastic case?

More than a few folks have made cases from clear plastics. I seldom read if they went to the trouble of grounding anything, much less everything in the case.

If I made a plastic case, I'd connect the exterior of all the HDD's, FDD's and every thing to a shielded woven copper ground wire that was attached to the PS's exterior, properly.

Is this simply accepted as necessary with plastic or other non-metal cases, yet not written about? Or ignored? Or not needed at all?
Old 27th January, 2002, 06:36 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

I suspect that it's probably ignored. After all, you already have a data ground path through the interface to the PC, and a power ground path through the power connector.

Unfortunately plastic cases don't reduce EM emissions. I don't know what this would do in the case of lightning, but I suspect it'd make the machine much easier to crash...

Never mind the fact it wouldn't pass EMC testing!

AidanII
Old 29th January, 2002, 08:56 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

EVER see how much static is on one of those plexy glass cases? I've seen alot. I think it would be a GREAT idea to ground everything. Just have a wire run threw the case and tack on to that.

Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd February, 2002, 12:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to ItHuNkPuNk

that would end up looking like a spiderweb through the case.. now attach glow wire to it or ground off the glow wire and run that through the case and you've got something! (is that even possible?)
Old 7th February, 2002, 12:24 PM

Re: How important is grounding the parts in a plastic case?

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
More than a few folks have made cases from clear plastics. I seldom read if they went to the trouble of grounding anything, much less everything in the case.

If I made a plastic case, I'd connect the exterior of all the HDD's, FDD's and every thing to a shielded woven copper ground wire that was attached to the PS's exterior, properly.

Is this simply accepted as necessary with plastic or other non-metal cases, yet not written about? Or ignored? Or not needed at all?
You are correct, Bonding (ground) is important in any computer, but would be vital in a plastic case. Plexi is a great static generator, even airflow across it will cause a charge.
You could use copper wick (made for "absorbing" solder during desoldering) lots of sizes available at any electronics store, or foil tape (burglar alarms)
The smallest static shock you can feel is around 3,000 volts, one of those ones that actually hurts (visable spark) like after leather shoes on a wool rug, can exceed 75,000 volts!
Long before you feel it, you will start to get memory errors, BSOD, disk errors, etc.
Old 7th February, 2002, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ItHuNkPuNk
that would end up looking like a spiderweb through the case.. now attach glow wire to it or ground off the glow wire and run that through the case and you've got something! (is that even possible?)
It may glow , but would not be a good choice.
You need something with very low resistance
Old 7th February, 2002, 08:47 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome, T-Shirt! Yes, a ground must be a ground, offering only the slightest(less than say, 3 Ohms) resistance. Going through some resistance along the way for entertainment value makes the "ground" into a not-ground.
Old 8th February, 2002, 05:39 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz Send a message via AIM to Jazz

If you use foil or tape to ground be carefull because foil does not dissipate power well. It is almost resisitive using a combination of tape and some braid will acheve the best results.
"Folding protiens and taking names"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!