AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Case Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st April, 2005, 04:57 PM

Send a message via MSN to jordyjohn

Modding a LAPTOP

hi all and thanks for letting me join the forum

id like to mod my laptop i dont want to cut holes in to it i just want to give it a face lift if u know what i meen so id like to know
what sort of paint id need to use and where i can find it please
Attached Images

Old 21st April, 2005, 05:30 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

what its the outer casing made out of?

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st April, 2005, 06:24 PM

all plastic
Old 21st April, 2005, 11:01 PM

from what i can see there is no metel at all on the laptop it just like a said it needs a good face lift
Old 21st April, 2005, 11:46 PM
AOA Staff

Certain paints will damage some plastics. I'm no chemist, so I can't be any more specific!
Old 22nd April, 2005, 12:06 AM

from what i can see and tell is that it is all very strong type of plastic but the whole thing only cost me £20 so thats not that bad
Old 22nd April, 2005, 08:48 PM

Krylon makes a spray paint called Fusion that's made for plastic. They say you don't need to sand or anything, however, I've sanded both monitors ( I know your project is a laptop, but my projects were plastic as well) that I've painted beforehand. They actually come out looking pretty decent, and if I bothered to wet-sand them in between, they'd probably look spectacular. Just remember a couple layers of decent clearcoat and ample drying/hardening time. Even after two or three days of drying I've found that the clear coat is still "squishy". For cars they usually bake them in an "oven" but I would advise against that.

Rustoleum also has a plasic "primer" that makes adhesion to plastic a no-brainer. I've never used it myself but hear good things from people who have. My experience with Fusion has been excellent, though. I had to sand a part that I'd painted with it later, and found it quite a challenge to get the stuff off.

I've been meaning to post pics of my monitor modding projects...but have always been in a rush to get them done or didn't have a camera handy. That too and I want to make sure I have mask and goggles in the pics. Lol. Safety reasons for the kiddies.

Edit: Also too, a respirator would be a good idea if you don't have good ventilation and gloves never hurt either. Most paints (especially aerosol) can be absorbed through and irritate skin on contact.

Last edited by Logan; 22nd April, 2005 at 08:54 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd April, 2005, 06:45 PM

I will echo Logan on the Krylon Fusion. as I am currently painting a case, moniter and
keyboard with the Krylon Plastic Primer and Fusion paint. I will find the camera for a
few pics today.

Ron

AOA Team fah
Old 24th April, 2005, 11:34 PM

thanks all for the advice but where do u get the krylon plastic and fusion paint from
Old 25th April, 2005, 02:44 PM

I tried searching for where you could buy Fusion in the UK, but I'm afraid I came up a tad short on matches. You may want to try your local hardware store or retail store. Anywhere you buy paint. There are some serious limitations on shipping aerosol products, so I doubt you could get any shipped overseas from an online shop. There may be a UK alternative to Fusion, but since I'm a backwater Illinoisan, I can't really help beyond what's already been mentioned.

Edit: Ewww...after some searching it would appear that Krylon doesn't exist in the UK...you may be able to find something since you're actually over there though.

Last edited by Logan; 25th April, 2005 at 02:50 PM.
Old 27th April, 2005, 04:51 PM

ill have a look around and thanks for haveing a look