AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Case Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th May, 2005, 03:56 PM

RPM monitor

Hey everybody,

I was wondering if it is possible to make a tachometer to monitor rpm of my fans, just like the car tachometer.

Has anyone done this or could someone give me some advice to do this?

Thanks
Old 10th May, 2005, 04:29 PM
AOA Staff

You could try this one CoolMon 2:
http://wiki.coolmon.org/screens

That's the screenshot page which shows how flexible it is.
Old 10th May, 2005, 04:47 PM

hmm, thanks, but thats not what I want. I want a real thing. Not software tachometer, but a real one on the side of my case or something.

I hope you understand what I mean.
Old 10th May, 2005, 04:50 PM

Some of the fan controllers have speed monitors in them, is that what you are looking for?

Or did you want to actually mount a car tach in a case?

steve
Old 10th May, 2005, 06:12 PM

Oh, hi skou, so you're here too?

I was thinking about mounting a car tachometer into my case, but that would be a bit too large. So maybe something smaller. Any ideas how to do something like that?
Oh and could you show me the fan controller you mentioned?
Old 10th May, 2005, 06:20 PM
AOA Staff

Something like this?
http://www.xoxide.com/pctachometer1.html
Old 10th May, 2005, 07:11 PM

Yes! Exactly! But I want to make one myself. Do you have any ideas how to make such a thing?
Old 10th May, 2005, 07:36 PM
Member/Contributer

I don't think making one would be practicle, not when you can pick up a fan bus with temps sensors and rpm monitors along with variable fan controllers for around £15
I have a Superflower one that has 4 fan controllers, monitors and temp sensors

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th May, 2005, 07:56 PM

Yeah, I know, it might not be practical, but it looks cool. So I could buy a car tachometer from a car shop, but how do I attach it to the fan rpm wire or something? Any help appreciated.
Old 10th May, 2005, 08:36 PM
AOA Staff

I don't know if it would be that straight forward.

You would probably need something between the meter and fan. Either some electronics or if you plug it into the serial port, some software.
Old 10th May, 2005, 09:23 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarwik
Yeah, I know, it might not be practical, but it looks cool. So I could buy a car tachometer from a car shop, but how do I attach it to the fan rpm wire or something? Any help appreciated.
It depends largely on the type of tachometer you buy. My somewhat ancient car uses the old mechanical variety that you will definitely not be able to use - somehow connected to the engine is a flexible cable that rotates at high speed in its sheath. It's connected to a magnet at the tachometer that rotates inside a coil, induces a current, ditto a field and moves the needle. Not very computer-friendly.

Your fans generate either one or two digital pulses per revolution. Modern digital tachometers accept a similar kind of signal. I will offer no help as to connect it to your system, as I'm neither mechanic nor electrician but will suggest a few beers and a large hammer as aides to the project
Old 11th May, 2005, 05:05 AM

Hehe, thanks guys. I want to do it without software, and yeah, I know I can't use the old mechanical tachometer.

I really hope someone knows how to do it, because my mind is empty.
Old 11th May, 2005, 07:24 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

There's a few frequency to voltage converters out there. You could always use one of those, and hook it up to a standard moving coil meter (see this). Otherwise you're into the domain of microcontrollers, and doing it in software.

Last edited by Áedán; 11th May, 2005 at 07:30 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th May, 2005, 10:22 AM
AOA Staff

Get a Type-R one!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...971766237&rd=1
Old 11th May, 2005, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
There's a few frequency to voltage converters out there. You could always use one of those, and hook it up to a standard moving coil meter (see this).
Hey thats a great idea, I'll look into it and post back if I have something done. Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
Lol, I think that doesn't help me much. I'll just buy some regular car tachometer.