AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Case Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th April, 2002, 06:30 AM

new to case modding

hey whats up everybody i been coming to this site for awhile now checking out the cool cases on here some of you people have some nice ideas and looking at them all makes me wanna change my case a little i have a basic case now with nothing done to it which is this case here http://www.directron.com/998k.html i was thinking of maybe cutting that big square outline out of the side or maybe that design it has on the side and putting a window and some lights and stuff on it and i was wondering if you guys could give me some do's and dont's about doing this and some tips on how to do it first thing i wanna know is what kind of tools do i need for basic case moding like cutting windows and about how much does some of the basic stuff cost to do it to the case i would really appreciate the help guys and thanks in advance
Old 28th April, 2002, 08:41 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Well, I can't comment on windows, as I have never done one, but for fans you can use a Dremel tool, or a hole saw. I perfer the hole saw because its far easier. I hear that for windows you can use a Dremel tool, but a jigsaw is better. I am going to have a friend-of-a-friend with a laser cutter cut mine, but thats because of the connection. Other wise, I would just use a jigsaw.

Try putting a 80mm/92mm hole in the front of your case, and chose some kewl Chinese simbol out to do in the side. That would look tight.
Old 28th April, 2002, 08:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

After doing several windows and many many case mods- i can say this-
1. Get a window that will fit the case- remember- you have a PS and drivebays that could interfear w/ the mounting of that window-
2. Use a JIGSAW (bad dremal experiances- but for your case it would work- hint dremals do NOT like 1/16 steel) and go in from the REAR of the panel
3. Try Caseetc.com for windows/ fans/ lights or www.2cooltek.com
4. A cold Cathode would work the best- If you want i can PM you the name of a retailer that gets them for $20 a pop
5. Those lazercut fan grills are WAY to expensive for begginger mods- use the Plexiglass ones- 1/2 the price- same look
6. Use panaflow or Sunon quiet fans IF you want to leaf your computer on at night
7. Put a Fan in the window above the video and cpu for better cooling and add a top blow hole
8. Have fun
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th April, 2002, 04:09 AM

yes can you please pm me the information about the lighting thank you very much
Old 29th April, 2002, 05:06 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Spyder - Plz PM me the name also. I lost it :nervous:

Outraged - I would reccomend adding fans above the CPU and a sucker on top of your case. I have one on my CPU and one on my AGP, and it keeps the temp WAY down (5C!)
Old 29th April, 2002, 08:30 AM

is it really nessecary to add cooling when adding a window i mean how does the window make anything run any hotter then without it?
Old 30th April, 2002, 12:40 AM

It just introduces a ducked supply of cold air directly to either video or cpu to the hottest componets-
SPyder
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th April, 2002, 12:46 AM

Go here:
http://www.vhforums.net/cgi-bin/ikon...ct=ST;f=10;t=9
SPyder
AOA Team fah