AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Case Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th July, 2002, 10:04 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Aluminum enclosures. Genuinely cooler, or hype?

Aluminum cases are nice-- at least the expensive one's are. Anyone actually measure the heat shedding ability of aluminum vs. steel? Is there enough improvement with aluminum to notice?
Old 29th July, 2002, 10:09 PM
AOA Staff

I think mostly the weight is what makes them attractive, but they will shed heat quite a bit better than steel. If you have good airflow it prolly wont be noticable, but in a passive cooling setup it could make a difference I think.
Old 29th July, 2002, 11:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Like SJ says, with low chassis air flow they would likely perform better. The most attractive thing is the low weight, if you hit a lot of LAN parties aluminum is easy to tote around . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st July, 2002, 01:14 AM

I say suck it up and haul the heavy one. yah gotta haul your heavy monitor anyway.

Watercooled Barton 2500+ AGOIA-Y @ 2300 (11.5x200) 1.85v
Epox 8RDA
1gb OCZ PC3200, 2-2-2-6
eVGA Geforce 4 TI4400
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st August, 2002, 03:16 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Heh, get a nice 19" LCD I would, if I could put up with out a computer (LCD costs too much!))
Old 17th August, 2002, 12:45 AM
Phat Spammer

Send a message via AIM to Phat Pat

heh, my school got computers with lcd displays this year. plus Pentium 4's Windows XP, MS office (the newest one, cant remember if its XP or 2000 or something), optical mice, a nice touch screen projector setup in front of the room, from Dell. government paid for 75% of them when the school agreed to give more credit for programing classes, so it works out great for me. sorry to get off topic, im exited.
Old 17th August, 2002, 12:49 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Quote:
Originally posted by Phat Pat
heh, my school got computers with lcd displays this year. plus Pentium 4's Windows XP, MS office (the newest one, cant remember if its XP or 2000 or something), optical mice, a nice touch screen projector setup in front of the room, from Dell. government paid for 75% of them when the school agreed to give more credit for programing classes, so it works out great for me. sorry to get off topic, im exited.

AAARGH! how i detest it when schools do that.... Think of the huge stress all that word processing puts on the CPU and how they grind to a halt when excel or access is used!!!! really they should each have 4X xeons! ARGH! why dont they just stick with p2's they are beefy enough for every day school stuff, and spend the rest of the money on something that will be used to its full potential, new sports equipment? comfy chairs? things like that?

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 17th August, 2002, 01:21 AM
Phat Spammer

Send a message via AIM to Phat Pat

they got us comfy chairs too, and the football team isnt all that great, and they still have better equipment than most high schools. and you havent seen the way my district usually spends money, we still have a bunch of video disk players (you know, disks are about the size of a record). However I wont defend my school too much, they are in debt because they miscounted students (a lot of students).
Old 18th August, 2002, 11:00 AM

how can you miscount students?
anyways, I agree with the other people, alu cases are a little cooler, but only if you have little airflow.

Dogs can never have too much fun! See Marge, Weee, weee, woo! wayhey! weeeeeeeee!!! -Homer
Old 20th August, 2002, 02:11 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Interesting. Thanks for the answers, everyone. If one were incompletely conversive with the cooling needs of recent processors, is this where these admittedly stylish cases come into their own?

Somehow, I don't think the simple fact of the better radiative and or convective efficiency of aluminum will compensate for inadequate case throughput. Will modern CPU's simply increase the heat they broadcast ad infinitum?
Old 22nd August, 2002, 03:40 PM

My dad works on the govering body of a college, they miscounted students too, seems its all to do with when students finish and start courses, thats when it gets complicated.

I wouldnt personally bother with an aluminium case unless I had a lot of spare money (I mean a lot).

If you bothered about weight pick up a cheap Midi case for about £15 (www.ebuyer.com) and cram your pc into that. Wont look pretty but it will be lighter than a big beefy full tower.

And if heat is your problem, buy a 8cm fan for a couple of quid, slightly cheaper and probably more efective than an aluminium case.