AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Case Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th September, 2002, 04:44 AM
The_Silverite

Unhappy Craziest idea I've ever had. Shame I'm broke.

Ahh, the woes of being a young unemployed underappreciated college student (read: a lovely state of broke-assedness).

I read the Blue Meanie article ( http://www.spodesabode.com/content/article/edenmod ), and I got to thinking: I could brobably modify a car's "glove-box" to stash that mobo and a wireless LAN card, 20 GB Hard Drive (explanation later), build an itty-bitty PDA keyboard into the inside of the glove-box door, and add a touchpad for a mouse by the keyboard. I might could completely lose the cd-player in favor of mounting a DVD-rom in it's place, alongside volume and balance/fade controls. That's right, a DVD-ROM drive in the dash where a CD-player would normally be! A 15" LCD screen could be housed in a compartment above and in between the passenger and driver's seats, which would be opened by pulling and swinging it down, and you could swivel it to the left or right so that you wouldn't distract the driver.

All this hooked up to a major Rockford Fosgate sound system... Playing a massive winamp list while letting your passengers enjoy the beauty of Acidspunk, or watching a DVD...

The downside: I'd be looking at some serious cash for all the work that would need to be done inside the vehicle, such as wiring from the back of the glove box to that 15" LCD hangin' from the ceiling, and all the audio cables.

Why must I be so broke!?

(oh, and where is this re-pc place?)
Old 4th September, 2002, 05:06 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Washington, or www.repc.com
Mod on brother MOD ON.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th September, 2002, 05:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Ok- heres what im planning- i have a 65mustang GT im getting and im doing simmilar-- the MB- harddrive and micro PS is in the glovebox- WITH extra fans- the keyboard is a modifyed foldable one that compreses into a small box which from under the passenger seat, and sits on the seat inbetween, it goes foldes up under the seat--- the mouse it wireless logitech and is usable ontop of the foled up keyboard box- The display is a $75 10inch LCD- that tucks up and under the glove box, but swings down easily for viewing--- and because i want to make it so no one knows it there--- the fosgate radio sits in a sliding tray which also pops out next to the lcd--- 2x12inch subs are hidden in the trunk behind a "fake" divider- and the amps are stored there too- the speakers have oringal covers, but are replaced-- Whatcha think?
Ill draw it all up
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th September, 2002, 12:11 AM

I've thought about that kinda thing before, but it all kinda comes to a halt when I realise I don't own a car

I was thinking of exactly the same idea, except with a GPS card and Autoroute, so you could use it to find wherever you're going. Oh, and make sure you get a slot load DVD drive, just to make it easier. It'd be pretty decent when your stuck in traffic, you can just sit back and watch a video
Old 7th September, 2002, 08:07 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

As soon as I get my license (Once I get off my ass and on to the road and get another 97 hours ) I'll be installing a system in my car... I'm thinkin PIII/Cely 1GHz, GeForce2, 20GB HDD, and a small (7-10inch) LCD screed. It will have a wireless track ball mouse and a wireless keyboard too. I am outfitting the system with a wireless LAN connection, and my house too, so when the car is in the garage, it can be downloading the latest tunes off of my home MP3 server The system its self will go in the trunk, as Jetta's have **** for glove box space.

I need some advice on how to get a DVD-ROM/CD-RW up to the front with the system in the back... There has to be way...

I am getting a 500w 12" driver (sub) and a 500w amp for the driver, along with a 800w amp for the speakers (4x200w).
Old 7th September, 2002, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I need some advice on how to get a DVD-ROM/CD-RW up to the front with the system in the back... There has to be way...
Since standard ATA cables have quite a limit on their length, your gonna have to go with an external solution, using either USB (most likely) or firewire. USB cable can have a maximum length of 3-5 meters depending on whether it's high speed or low speed. That should be hopefully long enough to get a cable from the system to a DVD drive (I wouldn't reccommend using a CD-RW drive unless the car is perfectly still). If it's not long enough, I think you can get signal boosters or hubs that will let you increase the length of cable.
Old 7th September, 2002, 11:19 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Quote:
Originally posted by Hamzter
Since standard ATA cables have quite a limit on their length, your gonna have to go with an external solution, using either USB (most likely) or firewire. USB cable can have a maximum length of 3-5 meters depending on whether it's high speed or low speed. That should be hopefully long enough to get a cable from the system to a DVD drive (I wouldn't reccommend using a CD-RW drive unless the car is perfectly still). If it's not long enough, I think you can get signal boosters or hubs that will let you increase the length of cable.
Perfect! Back in the day's when I was a Macie (No comment, please) I had a external Firewire HDD (IDE in FireWire case) and a external Firewire CD-RW. I can just use the FireWire CD-RW case! It has 110v inputs, and already has a case (d'oh) and can take IDE drives!

Thank you!
Old 8th September, 2002, 12:20 AM

Send a message via MSN to Spode

It's quite a common thing to do. But yeah! Sounds fun!
Old 8th September, 2002, 01:37 AM

Common, yes. But there is a reason: It's hella useful! I mean, I will be able to watch DiVX while on the road, and play MP3's all the time
Old 8th September, 2002, 01:54 AM

Yet..... it is illegal to do this...... ~there are several lawys saying drivers man NOT have view or be distracted by a visual device (tv, computer display)- and that it may only be visivle when the car is in netutral--if the cops see it- Your screwed- the tickets are like $1000 or something because your endangering other drivers when using one of these!
My uncle helped write them
AOA Team fah
Old 8th September, 2002, 03:12 AM

Heh, I know you can't legally be playin' DVD's/Movies or the like while driving, BUT you are allowed to have GPS displays So a 4x20char display would be sort of like that. I am planning on having a display in the car, but not attached to the dash. Today I was looking at some smaller ones, like 7" ones, so they would fit in the glove compartment Then, below the radio (In the reset space behind where you put coKe cans and whatnot) I would have the small LCD and a small control panel for it This would be my primary control of the music, and the LCD would be for running the computer system (Downloading MP3's off my home server, etc). And for friends to watch movies via
Old 9th September, 2002, 02:38 AM
Phat Spammer

Send a message via AIM to Phat Pat

crazy Idea: get a laptop with a DVD player.
Old 9th September, 2002, 04:30 AM

crazier idea..... only spend $300 to make a system vrs $1000
AOA Team fah
Old 10th September, 2002, 01:39 AM
Phat Spammer

Send a message via AIM to Phat Pat

this is true, just trying to be a smart ass. guess it didnt work.
Old 15th September, 2002, 09:32 PM
The_Silverite

Hmm... lots of good input here. I'm still broke, just in case anyone was thinking about asking. Anyways, My car-purchasing decision is gonna hinge on Glove compartment space. I'll probably end up cutting inside the glove box to find a space to stash a HDD, and making holes for the audio cables to the DVD, Amp and EQ.

I'd want to set it up so that when I crank the car, the machine powers up as well (like the CD-player... I'll have to try to get an AT power supply for this I bet...)

My current car or my brother's truck has an ideal glove-box for this. You'd just pull it open, and there'd be an itty-bitty keyboard and touchpad right there. The ladies would be all like "That is so far out!" And they say geeks can't get chicks.

I'll stick a slot-loading DVD-ROM drive where the CD player would normally go. The screen would be an inexpensive 15" LCD screen, housed in a compartment in the ceiling. Just pull it down, and watch.

If Winamp3 doesn't get some good visualizations, I'll have to slap Winamp2 on it. It'd be nice to get a wireless NIC to connect to an MP3 server while in the garage/driveway...

A swordsman has to have a very unique ride, y'know... I'll have to photoshop myself a very detailed paintjob.