AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th October, 2002, 10:54 PM

Unhappy Leaking connectors!

Hi all,

I've been having problems with one connector on my water cooling setup. I've used the heater core for a VW Polo (as recommended by some of our members) and have kept the blower attached rather than use a 120mm fan. To save some messing around and stop the clear hose from kinking I have used about 12" of the original car hose for the input and output, the a 14mm straight connector to my 1/2" clear hose. Now.... both input/output connections have been secured with a metal hose clamp. Then output is as dry as a bone but the input (fed straight from the 1250 pump) is dripping ever-so slightly.

I've tried a couble of dirrerent clamps and even clipped a bit off the hose to see if it wasnt making a good connection.

Any ideas on what to do? The clamp is at maximum pressure and I don't want to crush the plastic connector!

Any help or ideas are apreciated

TIA,
Enigma
Old 27th October, 2002, 02:31 AM

You probably have them clamped too tight.

With those metal hoze clips you can easily crimp up the tube my overtightening.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th October, 2002, 03:08 PM

Cheers Holst, I'll check the tightness out.

I must admit that when I saw the leak I was trying to get the tightest fit without crushibg the connector.
Old 27th October, 2002, 03:16 PM

Send a message via MSN to Spode

you could try putting some of that silicone grease that doesn't dry or just petroleum jelly to get a nice tight seal.
Old 27th October, 2002, 05:00 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

A great alternative to the regular vinyl hose is reinforced 1/2" hosing. Got mine at B&Q brilliant stuff! Hacksaw off the little lumps on the connections to the heatercore, and heat the tuubing in steam from a kettle and it will stretch over perfectly, requiring no clamps!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th October, 2002, 06:19 PM

I thought that stuff ewas awfull RN its just not flexible enough.

The best stuff is silicone, you hardly nead clamps as it seals itself, and its super flexible so it makes building your system dead easy.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 27th October, 2002, 10:24 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Silicone is good, but so is the reinforced stuff, i've had it bent quite tightly, it just needs supporting otherwise it will pull waterblocks off the CPU etc. But it is even more kink resistant than silicone

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."