AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th October, 2002, 10:58 PM

Question VW Polo blower question?

I'm trying to use the original blower from the VW Polo to push air thought the radiator. I thought this would be better than trying to strap a 120mm fan to it as thats what its been designed to do and I can change the speed settings to suit the cooling needed...

Anyway, I've ran some tests and it managed to cool a 3 litre res' of water from 45*C to room temp (23*C) in around 3 minutes, which I didnt think was too bad...

However, in doing this I fried a 12v transformer!!!

So, does anybody know what kind of current this thing would require straight from the car so I can run it all the time?

Cheers,
Enigma
Old 27th October, 2002, 04:24 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Probably a few amps, say maybe 3.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th October, 2002, 07:08 PM
Member/Contributer

The Polo blowers are known to start making a terrible whistle noise when they are 10+ years old. If yours doesn't, you are in luck! (And the noise will occur on all three speed settings)
Old 27th October, 2002, 07:39 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

As jeff said the amperage will be more than a regular plug-in transformer can take, ive blown one using a regular 80mm fan, about .1 of an amp! try plugging it into a spare PSU?

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th October, 2002, 09:35 PM

|Right then... After a bit of digging I managed to find my electrical meter and measured the following amp's

Slow Speed = 2.02A
Medium = 6.23A
Fast = 10.01A

AS you can see the Fast speed sucks quite a bit of power!!!!

I've found an old AT PSU that delivers 10.5A at 12V. I'm going to hook up a switch to allow me to use all the speeds but run it mainly on the slowest speed. The radiator and blower are going to be situated under my bed and after runnign some tests I've found it to be virtually silent for normal running.

In the future I'm going to use a thermostat so the blower will kick in at a set temp.

All I have to do now is stop that damn hose from leaking!!

Old 27th October, 2002, 10:23 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

As i said in the other thread, cut the barb off, and stretch reinforced hose over it, i havent had problems that way!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 27th October, 2002, 10:31 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Enigma
|Slow Speed = 2.02A
Medium = 6.23A
Fast = 10.01A
Wouldn't be surprised if it took some pretty hideous currents when starting up (like >20A) from the PSU, if the fan isn't already turning. Those motors do take a lot of power to run. Just ensure that the resistor that's used for speed control is cooled well enough, as it's going to be trying to get rid of a lot of power!

AidanII
Old 27th October, 2002, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Enigma
Slow Speed = 2.02A
Medium = 6.23A
Fast = 10.01A
Must be a heck of a fan, I'm pretty certain the blower in my pickup is only on a 5A fuse.

AOA Team fah
Old 28th October, 2002, 12:20 AM

RN - I'm looking to get some silicon hose really soon. For now I just want to get it up and running so I can test configurations etc. I've fixed the leak (short term) by putting some radiator tape around the barbs.. I know this wont hold forever but hopefully long enough till I get the optimum setup for my WC rig.

AidanII - I've measured it many time from start up and the max it seems to hit is 12.75A (The digital meter has a high/low record feature) So hopefully the PSU should work OK...

I'm still thinking about using 2 X 120mm Fans instead of the blower, however its very tempting to use it.

dimmreaper - Yup its a big'un.
Old 28th October, 2002, 09:47 AM

120mm will work, but NOWHERE near as well as the blower! Im using a 120 mm on each of mine, simply to save space, but performance wont be as good!

Remember to use antifreeze and deionised water as if you are using a Copper waterblock you will eventually get corrosion!

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 28th October, 2002, 10:35 AM

RN- The initial test very done using standard tap water for a period of 30 minutes or so. I went to 'a well known shop' and got 10 Litres of de-ionised water and enough antifreeze to suite.

The system has now been flushed and is ready to rock

My brother (a mechanic) raised a point about the antifreeeze smelling a bit. My res has a plastic lid but it isnt 100% water tight and I was interested to know how much it would smell!?!?

With the 10% mix as recommended, would it smell to bad?

Cheers
Old 28th October, 2002, 11:00 AM

well, its not going to evaporate much at the temperatures you will be running the system at, I've never heard of people having problems with the antifreeze causing a room to smell.

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 28th October, 2002, 03:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via Yahoo to Orbit

I have a heater core from a 92 Chevy P/U truck, and was considering using the blower, until I found out how many amps it takes to run the thing. Not to mention the noise factor.
So, I have two 120mm a/c server fans set up as 'pull' through it, and it's doing just fine. Nice and quiet, too. I also have them wired into the pump's a/c line, so they turn on when I fire everything up. Don't need a voltage control/rheostat, as they're really quiet to begin with.
I think they came from an old AS400 IBM server or something.
Also, I found a couple of high volume a/c fans here:
http://www.rpelectronics.com/Default...Div_37_100.asp
(let's see if the link works)

A Chieftec with a bunch of PCB's, Drives, Cables, and Water

-----------------------------------------------------------
Laws are for the lawless, who disregard them anyway... Crow
Old 28th October, 2002, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the info

I'm seriously gonna think about this one. I like the blower but don't want the cost of running it!

I have to say that even though its taking some time to get it all sorted, all the time I've spent working on it has been educational and fun.
Old 28th October, 2002, 09:33 PM

I'm running 5% antifreeze in my setup, doesn't smell like it does in a car where the water typically reaches 195F(90.5C), even if it did smell antifreeze has a pleasant sweet smell like caramel

AOA Team fah