AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th November, 2002, 07:05 AM

Water pump causing monitor interference

I know it's the pump's proximity to the monitor that's causing this, but space is at a premium at my home. When testing the setup on kithcen table overnight, this didn't happen. When I plug the pump into the socket i was using (via ext. cord) it still happens. When I shut pump off for second, it stops. I have pump rad and all in a box I made and that sits on top of PC with the tubing running through a hole on top of PC.
I know I could move the whole shebang to the floor or something, but man, my wife would not love that (for reasons not worth mentioning). What I'm wondering is if there is some type of cheap sheilding I can get for the inside of my water box at home depot or radio shack or something, and would this work before i drive around and buy the stuff, hehe. No way I wanna take some retail store flunky's word that this will or won't work.
Thanks.
Old 12th November, 2002, 07:11 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

get an old cheap sheilded computer speaker and put it in there.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th November, 2002, 07:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

aluminum foil :P :P:P and try using a DIFF powerstrip then the monitors pluged into~
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th November, 2002, 07:44 AM

Just put a speaker in there? Maybe try that if I can find one small enough to fit in there...which is unlikely. Aluminum foil, I gave that a cursory try, didn't go all out though (had to go to bed), noticed no difference, and I already mentioned I plugged the pump into a different part of the house and it still did it :P.
Thanks anways though.
Old 12th November, 2002, 10:07 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I ment take the speaker out and use the housing. Some are lined with shielding to protect them from interference to the monitor.
Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 12th November, 2002, 12:48 PM

ah, ok I see. I wonder what the shielding is made of and could I get some of that stuff easily? Actually, now that I think about it, just moving the damn thing to the floor and hearing the wife nag me about it could be easier. And it would give her more desk space to stack her crap so maybe I could get away with it practically unscathed (unlikely).
Speaking of watercooling, I wonder what would happen if my stupid dog releived himself on my computer that has never been on the floor before?
Old 12th November, 2002, 04:35 PM
AOA Staff

Well for me.............................................. I'd miss that dog.
Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 12th November, 2002, 04:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

The pump is magneticly powered so it creates a large magnetic field that interfears with the monitor, I'm afraid this is a problem with all mag-drive pumps. There are three cures:

1) Move the pump further away from the monitor.
2) Shield the magnetic field, this is very difficult to do as the field is quite strong.
3) Run the monitor at a 60Hz refresh rate, this is the same frequency as the AC power which generates the magnetic field, so the monitor won't have a distorted picture.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 12th November, 2002, 07:03 PM

What make and model of pump is this.

Ive never had such a problem with my eheim (and ive not heard of anybody ele either)

Maybee a new pump will be a better bet.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 12th November, 2002, 07:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
The pump is magneticly powered so it creates a large magnetic field that interfears with the monitor, I'm afraid this is a problem with all mag-drive pumps. There are three cures:

1) Move the pump further away from the monitor.
2) Shield the magnetic field, this is very difficult to do as the field is quite strong.
3) Run the monitor at a 60Hz refresh rate, this is the same frequency as the AC power which generates the magnetic field, so the monitor won't have a distorted picture.
Running the monitor at 60Hz wouldn't be very fun.
Old 12th November, 2002, 09:27 PM

Definately 60 hz would suck. Well, I got home from work and moved it to the floor. I would almost swear that the shimmering is totally gone....almost. I'll prolly squint at my monitor from now on thinking that it's just not right. If I run across and old big speaker I'll try that too though. Thanks for the help and here's hoping my wife is in a good mood when she gets home, I hate it when she wakes me up just to biich at me hehe.

Edit: It's a via aqua 1300 pump.
Old 13th November, 2002, 01:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

humm..... i have a via aqua..... its fine....... also you may want to superglue the impeller to the shaft so that it stops vibrating
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah