AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th November, 2001, 09:51 PM

tell me the facts

Can someone tell me how reliable the temperature calculations on my cpu are, made by the bios, coz it reckons my chip is running at between 40 and 42 degrees c and yet when i booted for the first time today having not used the computer for 24 hours the bios immediately said my chip was at 30 degrees. The temp rose straight away not quickly but steadily up to 40 degrees, yet only moments before the chip was in my hand totaly out of the motherboard so someone please tell me what i should believe the facts or my estimations
3dfx Voodoo 3000 16mb AGP
Maxtor 40 gig 7200 + Samsung 12 gig at 5200
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th November, 2001, 10:00 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

ifi understand what you are talking about you dont wanna worry! the CPU has to start at room temp yeh? and i asume you are using MBM 5? by the time you into windows it would be about 30 degress, and heat up to 40 over the next min!

this evening i booted up, 12 celsius, went up to 24 celsius load after 2 mins

im not at 28 celsius full load as my room is warming up.

the in socket sensor is not all that accurate from what i've hear, but you only need to think about checking the temp accurately if you are getting an indicated 50 celsius or so! im gonna check mine anyway as palomino's have resistors underneath which could interfere with temperature reading!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th November, 2001, 10:25 PM

Cheers Random,

yea i follow what u say but its just that my chip according to the bios starts at 30 degrees celsius is that because this system is set to only read 30 degrees or more coz thats what it starts at when i turn it on. Oh and about MBM 5 if this is a temperature sensor divice then no im not using it infact what is it i would be interested to know thanks again
3dfx Voodoo 3000 16mb AGP
Maxtor 40 gig 7200 + Samsung 12 gig at 5200
Old 9th November, 2001, 12:05 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

It's quite possible that by the time you get into the BIOS, your CPU has already warmed up enough for it to be at 30C. Don't forget they put out a fair amount of heat too.

The temperature sensors used don't generally have a wonderful accuracy. I reckon you'd be lucky to get within a couple of degrees with the onboard sensors.

MBM5 is a windows program that can grab a whole bunch of details, like fan speeds, temperatures and voltages. It displays them in a neat little dashboard, and can be set to warn you, or run a program when they go out of the range of the settings you've set.

AidanII