AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 2nd December, 2002, 02:22 PM

My micro-channel jet-impingement "White Water" block

Hi All,

Someone alerted me to these forums after someone here had mentioned my block and I thought I'd share it with you.

I've developed a waterblock through the use of a thermal simulator, pulling in ideas and suggestions from a number of people, and followed up with variations on that design through a very tolerant group of quality CNC machinist operators to arrive at a finished product.

The block deviates from most other designs in the following ways:

1) The base is extremely thin at 0.75mm, or less than 1/32"
2) The block uses micro-channels, being just 1mm wide
3) The block uses a nozzle plate to restrict and distribute flow over the entire channel cross-section directly above where the most of the heat from the CPU's would be. The nozzle plate is such that it roughly accelerates the water to about 3x the entry speed in the inlet barb. The nozzle plate also sits flush with the tops of the micro-channels and braces the thin base-plate so that it does not bend.
4) It uses 3 barbs, 1 inlet in the middle and 2 outlets. This is mostly as a result of 3), and the need to provide an even flow through the block. Despite the water flow splitting into two internally, the water velocity through the block is still 1.3x higher than the inlet velocity due to the channels being low.

Despite what may be assumed from the description above, the block still flows quite freely, allowing for good volumetric flow rates. The block is optimised for 1.5-3m head height pumps rated for 200-2000lph.

Here's some pictures of the beastie:

http://www.employees.org/~slf/concept/shiny1.jpg

http://www.employees.org/~slf/concept/shiny2.jpg

http://www.employees.org/~slf/concept/shiny3.jpg

http://www.employees.org/~slf/concept/shiny4.jpg

Here's an old picture of the insides of the block with an older nozzle plate design. Have yet to take a more up-to-date picture of the block insides after milling, but before being cleaned up

http://www.employees.org/~slf/concept/prod1.jpg

So, there it is...
Old 3rd December, 2002, 03:24 AM
AOA Staff

nice job man!! :-D
Old 9th December, 2002, 02:13 AM

I think he forgot to mention that these outperform any other block as of now
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th December, 2002, 04:44 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Spirals

raise the fist and resist

Last edited by Spirals; 10th December, 2002 at 04:14 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th December, 2002, 05:21 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Spirals we dont permit buying and selling on the forums Im afraid. in the classified its not a problem, though you need 125 posts. These rules are to protect people from being ripped off. Could you please edit your post?

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 10th December, 2002, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Spirals
Do you have anymore than that one?
Willing to sell?
lmk
I'm not allowed to advertise and sell in these forums. The opening post was just an indication of the technology and research that I've been undertaking to push waterblock
performance.

If you have any questions about the block's technology that you don't wish to discuss in the forums, then PM or email me and we can take it off-line.

Bill Adams has a copy of one of the blocks (yes - more than one exists) and is presently measuring its performance on his advanced testbed, and ultimately some results will be published at www.overclockers.com in the near future.
Old 10th December, 2002, 06:54 AM

I used to experiment a lot with this sort of stuff, although nothing that refined as I am limited to handrills and such. I had theories about blocks that worked in a similar fashion but could never quite get it worked out. By looking at the pics I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be the best block Bill Adams has tested. So are you planning on producing for retail market? Nice job and good luck.
Old 10th December, 2002, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by S_Wilson
So are you planning on producing for retail market?
I'm not a retailer as such, just a hobbyist. About 50 people have asked me to share my creation with them to date and I've been happy to accomodate them.
Old 10th December, 2002, 11:19 AM
Member/Contributer

Very nice design, I like it!
Old 10th December, 2002, 02:55 PM

Send a message via MSN to Spode

nice work
Old 14th December, 2002, 02:42 AM

This looks great! I would like to own one just to look at.
Old 14th December, 2002, 05:27 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cathar

I'm not a retailer as such, just a hobbyist. About 50 people have asked me to share my creation with them to date and I've been happy to accomodate them.
From the smallest of beginings do the largest of things come. Good Luck!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 14th December, 2002, 07:04 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Cathar

Bill Adams has a copy of one of the blocks (yes - more than one exists) and is presently measuring its performance on his advanced testbed, and ultimately some results will be published at www.overclockers.com in the near future.
WHY not publish them here ALSO?!?!?! We here at AOA are a GREAT forum, and growing by leaps and bounds!!!

BTW very nice block,
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 14th December, 2002, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by robbie

WHY not publish them here ALSO?!?!?! We here at AOA are a GREAT forum, and growing by leaps and bounds!!!

BTW very nice block,
Rob
I meant that it'll be a front-page article at overclockers.com as part of a round up of a number of other commercial waterblocks.

There is a results comparisons thread over at overclockers.com.au, but you'll need to register to read it.