AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th November, 2001, 09:11 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

12v to 7v hack for fans

I have the infamous delta fan and am considering undervolting to 7v. At full power, it generates 37.6 CFM w/ 46.5dBa and about 6800RPM.

Can anyone give me an approximation of what it would do at 7v??
CFM, dBa and RPM?

I don't want to end up replacing the whole thing because it can't handle the heat.

TIA.
SteveI.
Old 13th November, 2001, 10:10 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

An overclocked XP will definately require the volume of the fan at 12V. If the Delta is too loud, perhaps it is time to look to a 80mm to 60mm fandapter, or a HSF that natively supports an 80mm fan such as the PAL 8045 . . . . Or water-cooling! LOL

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th November, 2001, 10:54 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

After all the time I've spent already, no water cooling for me.
Also, my HSF is a WBK38. The way the fan clips to the HS, it cannot handle a fandapter. I have tried a 3000RPM enermax 80mm fan on it, and it did not provide enough cooling, or I didn't have it on right.

BTW, I built a sys for a friend with a WBK68, same HS weaker fan: 23.7CFM & 36dBa, and it cools an o/c Athlon@1.33 ok.

I did see a thermaltake 60mm fan rated at 31CFM w/ 28dBa. Do you think it's worth a shot? Or is 31CFM w/ 28dBa B***S***?
Old 13th November, 2001, 11:18 PM

Find yourself a YS-Tech 27CFM 60mm fan, they seem to be just right. Any more noise and you go mad, any less air and your not cool . . . . A fandapter is still doable with your heatsink, it would just take a bit of ingenuity to implement it.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th November, 2001, 11:58 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Sounds doable... but what about the Thermaltake I found online.
The Thermaltake website says 31CFM w/ 28dBa. Is that reasonable in your experience.

I haven't looked at fans much, so I can't tell.

If the numbers don't lie, I think I have a winner.
Old 14th November, 2001, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI
The Thermaltake website says 31CFM w/ 28dBa. Is that reasonable in your experience.
Obviously it's a misprint Steve. Even if those numbers were reversed, say 28CFM @ 31dBa, it would still be unrealistic for a 60mm fan.

The important thing to remember about dBa's is that every 10dBa is twice as loud(because of the way in which the ear functions). So:

20dBa is twice as loud as 10dBa.
30dBa is twice as loud as 20dBa.
40dBa is twice as loud as 30dBa.
And so on, and so fourth . . . .

This is why just 4-5dBa has a huge effect on whether or not a fan is tolerable.

AOA Team fah
Old 14th November, 2001, 02:12 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Thanks Jeff,
Part of me wanted to believe the description... but from what I have read in the past, it just seemed too good to be true. Thanks for confirming it for me... Once I get the replacement CPU, I will either work on a fandapter or that YS you mentioned.
Old 14th November, 2001, 01:08 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Ok Jeff,
I know you must be tired of this thread by now.. One Last set of questions (i hope). Is the millenium glaciator as good as the hype in all the reviews? Everyone seems to say the same thing... perf like delta, moderate noise.

Also, they have a millenium glaciator II available out. so the original is only $20 + shipping. Is it worth the effort? This may even be better than my current WBK38, and still quieter. Again, is this too good to be true?

The only place I found the YSTech, cost 10 plus 8 for shipping.

Thanks for your patience.
Old 14th November, 2001, 01:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

The Dimm will never Tire.... I will beat him to post thou...

The Glaciator is what it is hyped to be.... I should know i have one
currently after folding all night my athlon @1370 Mhz with 1.85 V is at 46 Degrees Celsius Case Temp 24.
XP 1800+
[color]
Old 14th November, 2001, 01:42 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Thanks phiber, is it quiet too?

BTW, your quote, the proper word is "than age" not "that age",
it is a comparative statement.
Old 14th November, 2001, 01:54 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

Quote:
Thanks phiber, is it quiet too?

BTW, your quote, the proper word is "than age" not "that age",
it is a comparative statement.
thankk you i will change
and yes its really quiet
XP 1800+
[color]
Old 14th November, 2001, 07:28 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Do you have the original or the second (II) version?
Old 14th November, 2001, 08:54 PM

Glaciator is awsome! I own one, and can say it is probably the best heatsink I've ever owned. It cools very well, and is tolerable even with the case side panel off. Only thing I might go for over it is an Alpha PAL8045 with a nice quiet Enermax thermistor controlled fan, but that option would set you back a bit more than the Glaciator . . . .

I know you already said it wasn't an option for you, but I prefer watercooling myself. But this Morgan core isn't very responive to the extra cooling, unless I go sub-ambient or better yet sub-zero. I ever tell you guys about my dry ice cooled peltier junction experiment? It got so cold that I didn't have any equipment capable of reading the temperature . . . . and I got the equipment to read down to -60C(-76F) . . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 14th November, 2001, 09:19 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

glaciator 2 here, and its AWESOME! if MBM5 is right (somehow i doubt it) its at 32 degress full load! this is on a 1700 MHZ palomino! even if its 10 degrees hotter its still excellent! the thing cant be heard in my case.... but then i do have 2 125cfm 120mm fans on one side and 2 80's on the other.

its probably the best looking heatsink around too

im still gonna go to water cooling.......... i wanna see if i can hit 1800mhz with a volt mod and water cooling

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 14th November, 2001, 09:27 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
I know you already said it wasn't an option for you, but I prefer watercooling myself.
Remember, I'm used to the celeron, with the piece of cake 60% overclock. I'll get there eventually.

For now, I think the glaciator is my best bet. The original version is on clearance for $20, and version II sells for $35... so I will go with the cheaper version .

Thanks everyone for your input.

SteveI.
Old 4th December, 2001, 04:57 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Thanks Jeff,
Part of me wanted to believe the description... but from what I have read in the past, it just seemed too good to be true. Thanks for confirming it for me... Once I get the replacement CPU, I will either work on a fandapter or that YS you mentioned.
I got a YS they can be pretty loud, but with some mod's you can make it quiter.

Rob
Old 4th December, 2001, 08:11 PM

One possible option that im running at the moment is to use a 120mm fan on your CPU.

Im running mine on 7v with a 10ohm potentiomiter and its very quiet. Because of its size its still giving very good airflow, plus its ajustable if you want to drop the noise whyle at idle (although i fold now)

I just made the adaptor from cardboard and duct tape and tye wrapped the fan to my case.

Its also allot more efficent and quieter if you have the fan sucking not blowing due to the diference in diamiters.

My temp on my duron 800@1044@1.85 volts full load is only 31*c with very little noise.

Im sure that with a good heatsink you could get a very respectable temperature on a XP without going deaf.

Mines not a permanent solution as im about to go watercooled (bought a lump of copper today for my waterblock) but with a little effort you could make a durable adaptor that should last better than my cardboard botch.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 4th December, 2001, 08:15 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Thanks for the suggestions. I went with the Millenium Glaciator, and love it, 2 thumbs up.

Now, I have a WBK HS, tons of various sized fans, and sooner or later, will make an excuse to use it, .