AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st November, 2001, 05:55 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Is this overkill?

my cunning plan:

2X220 Watt TEC's side by side, cooled by a custom built by DD waterblock, through a big heatercore, then up my cooling tower and dropped into reservoir, then pumped back through....

i dont care that i will black out the entire area for miles around, i just need a rough estimate how cold its gonna get on the rig in my sig im volt modding it, and attempting to unlock it again... aiming for 1.9ghz at 2.05 volts, i think thats realistic after seeing what EPoX tech did with his vapochill!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st November, 2001, 06:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

-10C to -20C is all you will likely see when under 100% load. That's just a rough guess, I could run the numbers if you need a more exact figure.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st November, 2001, 06:48 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

The good news is that the hotter your coolent, the better the radiator will be at getting rid of the heat. The bad news? You've just invented a half kilowatt heater. Start looking for some aircon to keep your room cool!

From a few back of the envelope calculations, you'd be lucky to get it under 0C under full load. Under idle conditions, you might find problems stopping the TECs exceeding their dT ratings!

Ok, so my calcuations used 2x172W TEC, as I don't have the performance figures for your 220W TEC.

Who makes them?

AidanII
Old 21st November, 2001, 06:55 PM

Like Aidan said, one big arse heater, a bit bigger than half a kilowatt though. More realistically closer to 750W as it takes roughly 75% more power to operate a TEC as what it can pump.

Personally, I think a single 172W TEC with a homebrewed vapor-phase coolant chiller would be the way to go. Use some killer refridgeration to get the coolant down to a good -10C, and use the TEC to bump the temperature down another good 20C.(I make this stuff sound too damn easy )

AOA Team fah
Old 21st November, 2001, 09:48 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
i just need a rough estimate how cold its gonna get on the rig in my sig
>0ºC if you're using components and specs from other of-the-shelf watercooling systems. To get it into the sub-zero range you're gonna need a BIG radiator, and a lot of (fast) coolant flow.
Old 21st November, 2001, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Personally, I think a single 172W TEC with a homebrewed vapor-phase coolant chiller would be the way to go. Use some killer refridgeration to get the coolant down to a good -10C, and use the TEC to bump the temperature down another good 20C.(I make this stuff sound too damn easy )
If you're gonna use vapour phase then a "killer" system would take you down to about -180C in a single stage. Don't bother with a TEC in that case, cuz it isn't going to be much use.

I don't know how you'll control the duty well enough on such a system. That's why my cryogenics friend stopped work on a system, between the difficulty of designing an evaporator that'll fit in such a small space and preventing condensation!

AidanII
Old 21st November, 2001, 10:15 PM

The word "killer" was in reference to Qmax not DeltaT . . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 21st November, 2001, 11:01 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

hmmmmmmmmmmm well i am using a big rad, and a evaporator tower, im hoping the rad get the water to a few celsius over ambient, then tower drop it below ambient... dimmreaper tells me i can get a 1000GPH 6 foot lift pump for $100 so i will use one of them as to vaporphase.... i know i need a compressor, what else do i need and is it something i could just rip out of a mini-fridge or freezer?

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 22nd November, 2001, 07:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

I ran 2x172W peltiers on my DD maze 2 for awile, and it put out a hecuva lot of heat...It worked well though..it would have put out more heat, but I didn't have a 24v psu..
Old 22nd November, 2001, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
The word "killer" was in reference to Qmax not DeltaT . . . .
TECs are just so hidiously inefficient it's almost untrue. For the amount of heat they pump, they produce a heck of a lot more. Vapour phase does much better in the efficiency stakes, so if you really wanted to move plenty of heat, then you'd go a lot further on a lot less power. Less heat output means less hassle getting rid of heat, and less heat leakage back to the cold side. That also means you don't need a TEC adding to the total load.

On the other hand, perhaps you could just feed your CPU more ice from the freezer?

AidanII

Last edited by Áedán; 22nd November, 2001 at 11:45 AM.
Old 23rd November, 2001, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII
On the other hand, perhaps you could just feed your CPU more ice from the freezer?
I prefer dry ice myself

AOA Team fah
Old 23rd November, 2001, 02:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII

TECs are just so hidiously inefficient it's almost untrue. For the amount of heat they pump, they produce a heck of a lot more. Vapour phase does much better in the efficiency stakes, so if you really wanted to move plenty of heat, then you'd go a lot further on a lot less power. Less heat output means less hassle getting rid of heat, and less heat leakage back to the cold side. That also means you don't need a TEC adding to the total load.

AidanII
I did that all last winter. It was "fun". i did get my system down to 20c that way though.