AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th November, 2001, 10:02 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Keepin' It Cool

I decided that I wanted to get that cold WI air into my computer case so I came up with this idea. I don't have the window fitting and tube done yet but that's coming. There's a 120mm fan inside the computer duct.
Attached Thumbnails
Keepin' It Cool-duct1.jpg  

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th November, 2001, 10:50 PM
Systems Administrator

It's a great success!!! My CPU temp at the moment is 28C, down from 33C before the project, and my case temp is 20C, one degree cooler than the room temp! All these temps are slowly falling btw, and I hope to see sub-20 CPU temps tonight when the outside temp goes down to about 0C-5C. More pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Keepin' It Cool-duct2.jpg  

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th November, 2001, 12:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to fireball_87

wtg!
512mb crucial pc 2100 ddr
sound blaster audigy
120gb 7200 rpm WD hard drive
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu
alienware style green case (:

Old 25th November, 2001, 04:39 AM
Systems Administrator

Like dem temps dere :

Edit: That's with full load. My fan intake is currently at 11C and my room temp is 22C. My case temp has now went down to 13C.
Attached Images

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?

Last edited by Superman; 25th November, 2001 at 05:50 AM.
Old 25th November, 2001, 02:28 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Last winter I left my radiator out the window for a while, but eventually it caused some minor condensation issues(cold waterblock, warm chassis), so I had to bring it back indoors. One of these days I want to get around to installing an subterranean heat exchanger, to let the ~55F earth keep my PC cool.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 25th November, 2001, 07:35 PM
Systems Administrator

Like the avatar

It's 12:30 a l'apres-midi here and my CPU temps are 4C cooler than room temp. I'm in my room in a t-shirt while the case temp is 11C and the CPU is 17C. This is awesome. I can't wait until tonight to see the temps.

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 26th November, 2001, 03:20 PM
Member/Contributer

Looking good Superman! I hope you have a grill and a filter somewhere in that setup! :=)
Old 27th November, 2001, 03:05 AM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Allan Nielsen
Looking good Superman! I hope you have a grill and a filter somewhere in that setup! :=)
At the fan intake I do. And I bent the thing a bit so that rain isn't a problem. It never rains from the south anyway, always from the West or North.

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 24th December, 2001, 05:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to kplonk

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Last winter I left my radiator out the window for a while, but eventually it caused some minor condensation issues(cold waterblock, warm chassis), so I had to bring it back indoors. One of these days I want to get around to installing an subterranean heat exchanger, to let the ~55F earth keep my PC cool.
i am intrested in a subterranean heat exchanger do you know of any sites that detail them

thanks kieran
Old 24th December, 2001, 08:10 PM
Banned

I showed this to my coworker...

"That is the saddest thing I've ever seen." was his response. he's not much for overclocking, but I understand the sentiment... I think we (members of overclockers anonymous) would call that "extreme" cooling...
Old 24th December, 2001, 08:27 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Ploaf Send a message via AIM to Ploaf Send a message via Yahoo to Ploaf

Quote:
Originally posted by kplonk

i am intrested in a subterranean heat exchanger do you know of any sites that detail them

thanks kieran
I keep thinking to do the same thing, although my idea was just to bury a long copper coil about 3 feet below the surface. In and out through the basement wall. Pump/reservoir downstairs with tubing coming up through the floor to feed the block. Just don't know if I have it in me to do that.

BTW Superman. Love those temps.
Old 25th December, 2001, 10:55 AM

How much tube

Ploaf I see your point do you know how to calculate the length of tube that may be needed to drop the temp of the water running through it.
Old 25th December, 2001, 03:57 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Ploaf Send a message via AIM to Ploaf Send a message via Yahoo to Ploaf

Re: How much tube

Quote:
Originally posted by kplonk
Ploaf I see your point do you know how to calculate the length of tube that may be needed to drop the temp of the water running through it.
Off hand? No. I am more into guess work, trial and error, screwing up until I get it right, although I would think that 20-30' of copper tubing would be enough to do the job. If you had a slightly larger reservoir then it would be easy enough.
If you really want to consider these things also consider the makeup of the soil as some soil types may more readily take the heat than other types. Clay would pack nicely around the tubing assuming that you added water when burying everything and made sure it was packed tight. A nice loamy soil would pack tight around it as well. Sand on the other hand may not work as well. But then all of these could be completely reversed and sand may work better. I don't know since I have never studied the thermal conductivity of soils.
One thing I know. Once you do it you're not going to do dig it back up. Best case scenario there would be that you had a lot of work involved. Average case scenario would be mangled tubing.
Minimum Tools required- Shovel, hammer drill with a large enough bit. Basic plumbing supplies although most of it can be done with a hacksaw and compression/threaded fittings requiring pliers, crescent wrench, channel locks or whatever can get the job done. another drill with a large enough bit to route the tubing through the floor/wall(installer bits are very useful for getting started because they are usually 12-18" and can go through several sections of walls)

I also want to try to cool all of my machines with water, but with one single pressurized system with trunk and feeder lines using well pump equipment, 3/4" trunk lines with 1/2'-3/8' feeder lines and a 20-30 gallon reservoir with check valves/pressure tank/pressure regulator and sensor, and a pressure tank to help maintain solid pressure throughout the system without having the pump run constantly. The well pump may be a bit much though.
Old 30th December, 2001, 06:03 AM
Systems Administrator

Uh, oh. I left my thing in the window this evening and when I came back from a party the aluminium pipe had a bit of ice on the exterior of it. Case and everything else was OK. Is this bad?

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 30th December, 2001, 07:40 AM
Member/Contributer

I think I would be a little worried about the moisture content of the outside air also. (humidity) I have played with the idea you have in practice there and here in the south it would not work well as the humidity always seems to run high. Winter & Summer. My other idea is to use something like that to duct the heat from the PSU and out fan on the back to get it out of the room so the temps will stay low and not be warmed by it's own exhaust.

Subterranean idea is interesting. Any idea what the cost of the copper tube would be. I imagine high.
----------------------------------------------

Old 30th December, 2001, 11:04 AM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman53142
Uh, oh. I left my thing in the window this evening and when I came back from a party the aluminium pipe had a bit of ice on the exterior of it. Case and everything else was OK. Is this bad?
the only probs you should run into is condensation on the outside of the case itself, as long as you dont open the box when the temps are extremely different U should be OK even if theres a littlre moisture in the air
Old 30th December, 2001, 07:36 PM

The cost of copper tube is not that high, here in the uk you can get 20M for arround £20 of 10mm tube on a real
Old 30th December, 2001, 09:03 PM
Banned

I had the notion of a self containing refrigeration unit... gonna play some more with the idea... would want a complete unit however, not something for an hour or two...
Old 31st December, 2001, 06:01 PM

yer see what you mean