AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.
Old 14th April, 2003, 11:51 PM

that was very cool ...those guys are insain

fer 47 years ive been seeking a balance in life
and I’ve been from one end to the other
i may be getting close
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th April, 2003, 12:43 AM

Wow, that was just amazing. Sounds like they (in episode 2) hit a similar problem as [H]ard did with their 3.06 HT p4 overclock: too cold! Not something most of us have to worry about, though
All this direct die stuff is getting me interested: I might whip out a P90 and see if I can muster a 100%+ overclock out of it, with direct 2 die (or direct to ceramic?)! (I haven't got the moolah to risk anything newer :-)
Athlon T-Bird 1.33, 133MHz bus, 512MB Crucial CL2 SDRAM (Ultra 2 Timings), ECS K7AMA Motherboard (ALi Chipset) BLOWN CAPACITORS , BFG GeForce 4 Ti-4200 128MB 8x (350/513), 40 GB WD Caviar, 80 GB WD Caviar, 48x16x48 CD-RW, 6x DVD ROM

I need a new mobo! Anyone have a spare Asus A7N8X or similarily plushy athlon mobo?

Currently on IBM ThinkPad i Series 1400 (Pentium 266-MMX, 4 gb hd, NeoMagic MagicGraph 128ZX+ video)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th April, 2003, 10:45 AM

Pertaining ot the OCTools experiment (I have the highest admiration for their pioneering spirit. And willingness to spend money). I believe where they experienced problems (admittedly at first) was in their choice of Flourinert liquid. The high boiling point of FC70 (215C) mislead me as well, but what I (and they possibly) overlooked was FC70's pouring point. FC70 is liquid only down to -25C. This may have been a better alternative; FC77 http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html  because of it's liquid state (or pour point) can accomodate temperature extremes as low as -110C, to a boiling point of 97C. It has similiar dialectric properties of FC70, in that electronic equipment can be safely submerged and tested in the liquid. If they had eschewed LN2 (which I believe was their onus,) they may have had much more success with their original choice in Flourinert FC70. Upon reading through the Flourirnert Data-sheets, I found their all incompatible with the extremely low temperature of LN2. In my opinion what has been overlooked, and of cardinal importance, isn't the "ideal overclocking" environment (temperature) but the "ideal operating" environment (temperature) for a given voltage VS speed. In other words, we've juxtiposed the solution with the problem. Were looking to chill the processor to sub-zero temperatures, when the crux of the issue is thermal dissipation. Instead of chilling the core as cold as we can THEN running current into it, we should be finding the ideal balance. This is what Chip-Con figured out long ago, which why the Prometeia is still the most reliable alternative, and even against LN2, showing better (overall) overclocking results. I'm not saying this can't be improved upon with lower temp's, I'm merely saying there's a critical relationship which has to be examined in the Law of Diminshing Returns, for just how low the core temperature should be.

This is not to detract from the LN2/Florinert experiement, albeit an awfully expensive method for determining the correct Flourirnert liquid to use. Perhaps they should have left the "booze factor" out of the equation several years prior to the experiment, although had those few hundred thousand brain cells not been destroyed we wouldn't have those "Mad Hatters" of LN2. At least they drank a more refined spirit, apparently they can afford it! I can relate as a beer lover only cork-bottled Chimae, or maybe Bellhaven would do for me. All good thinks come from Beligum Monks! Too bad they don't build overclocking systems. How about Holy Grail Motherboards, "Soldered in Silence."

Last edited by Liquid3D; 15th April, 2003 at 01:43 PM.
Old 18th September, 2003, 07:15 PM

Can somebody repost that link to the Cray spray / evaporation cooling video. I am doing research at my college regarding on die processor cooling and would love to see what the guys over at Cray have in mind!
Old 19th September, 2003, 07:33 AM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

Quote:
Originally Posted by winflex
Can somebody repost that link to the Cray spray / evaporation cooling video. I am doing research at my college regarding on die processor cooling and would love to see what the guys over at Cray have in mind!
Hi winflex. Welcome to AOA. Go into AOAfiles, use search facility, type in Cray and you should get it