AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.
Old 26th February, 2003, 02:19 AM
Member/Contributer

One thing I was thinking about a spray was it would be disastrous if you got a clog in the spray I would at least flush the system real good before running it "hot". Maybe a filter would be in order?

Another thought would be to thread the brass to accept carburetor jets so you could change the volume.

Just me thinking out loud.
----------------------------------------------

Last edited by Southern Man; 26th February, 2003 at 02:21 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th February, 2003, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Southern Man
One thing I was thinking about a spray was it would be disastrous if you got a clog in the spray I would at least flush the system real good before running it "hot". Maybe a filter would be in order?

Another thought would be to thread the brass to accept carburetor jets so you could change the volume.

Just me thinking out loud.
SM if you were in MI id give you a big kiss ive been racking my brain trying to figure a better way to get a good spray and make it easy to change if it didnt work well

you da man

fer 47 years ive been seeking a balance in life
and I’ve been from one end to the other
i may be getting close
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th February, 2003, 02:51 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally posted by kat

SM if you were in MI id give you a big kiss ive been racking my brain trying to figure a better way to get a good spray and make it easy to change if it didnt work well

you da man
As much as I would love to be closer so I could see this thing in person I'm ever so thankful there is an adequate +/- 700 miles between us just now.

Glad my gray matter could help.

Old 26th February, 2003, 10:10 AM

great idea ..... nice job ..... but i think you'll have 2 major problems ...... 1 would be making sure you have a very good waterflow jetlike would be most effective ..... 2 is eventually it'll wear out the core's surface ....... maybe slap on a very thin slice of silver plating on top of the die ....
Old 26th February, 2003, 12:46 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Kat, this spray idea.... You realise what you are talking about? DIRECT DIE PHASE CHANGE COOLING! I think your idea is to basically atomise the water? when it hits the core it would vapourise, using up a lot of energy!

If this isnt the Idea i'd steer clear of restricting it that much! Spode has had great results with a simple 4mm brass pipe. nice high veloctity stream over the core that way.

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 26th February, 2003, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tediber
2 is eventually it'll wear out the core's surface .......
perhaps i should use soft water..........
I'm sorry i just couldn't help my self

hopefully it will take a while for that to happen
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
Kat, this spray idea.... You realize what you are talking about? DIRECT DIE PHASE CHANGE COOLING! I think your idea is to basically atomizes the water? when it hits the core it would vaporize, using up a lot of energy!

If this isn't the Idea i'd steer clear of restricting it that much! Spode has had great results with a simple 4mm brass pipe. nice high velocity stream over the core that way.
i guess i didn't know the correct term but thats exactly what i intend to do thats why I'm using all metal hardware,

i figure its going to take at least 60lbs per sq in" to accomplish this I'm going to talk to a mechanic (my brother) about fuel pumps today

big block/small block/fuel pumps/carb jets who would have figured the computer and automobile industry would be combined in this way where is Jeff when i need him? I'm sure he could give me a quick lesson on fuel pumps ...

i may be getting close
Old 26th February, 2003, 02:10 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

If your bro is in the car industry, why not use a fuel injector? they atomise fuel well enough, im sure they can do a reasonable job with water!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 26th February, 2003, 03:02 PM

WOOt

Great work m8.

I cant wait to hear how it turns out.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 26th February, 2003, 03:10 PM

Kat, that is really coming along nicely. If you're interested I found the cray video on phase change cooling, I'm just not sure how to post it or who to talk to about that.
Old 26th February, 2003, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kat

perhaps i should use soft water..........
I'm sorry i just couldn't help my self

hopefully it will take a while for that to happen
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i guess i didn't know the correct term but thats exactly what i intend to do thats why I'm using all metal hardware,

i figure its going to take at least 60lbs per sq in" to accomplish this I'm going to talk to a mechanic (my brother) about fuel pumps today

big block/small block/fuel pumps/carb jets who would have figured the computer and automobile industry would be combined in this way where is Jeff when i need him? I'm sure he could give me a quick lesson on fuel pumps ...
You can filter distilled water through a Brita or similar filter to get relatively "clean" water to reduce scale, etc.
Watch out for fuel pumps, many are 'pulse' type and will rattle the crap out of your system! I've seen several threads in other water cooling forums trying just this. A small positive displacement pump with a pressure regulator would be ideal.

Hydra-cell makes some skookum pumps. Here is a good source for other manufacturers.

If you do decide to write an article, I'd be happy to "translate" it into English (hahaha) for you. So write away and never fear. I have decades of technical writing behind and (I'm afraid) ahead of me. I'd be honored to help.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 27th February, 2003 at 12:21 AM.
Old 26th February, 2003, 07:28 PM
AOA Staff

Thats lookin real sweet dood!! There are currently a few others workin on a "spray" D2D system too, HP included! I think the whole secret is the block fitting tight around the core like you have it there, I may have to bust out some plastic and try out some of these new ideas myself
Old 26th February, 2003, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kat

i have a feeling this is going to be one of a kind

Can I have it when you die?
Old 27th February, 2003, 01:29 AM

Random Nonsense

Well I was thinking the same thing, and it seems that an injector is a metering devise and doesn’t create any pressure, pressure is solely the fuel pumps job I also asked my brother about an inline fuel pump he said yes they make them but he wasn’t sure how long it would last because there is some type of lubricant in gasoline that the pump and the injector nozzle would need to operate so the entire fuel system components idea is out the window
SM
The carburetor jet idea as good as it sounded might not work, the smallest jet that can be ordered is 40 thousands, brother Joe thought that might be a little to big.. I told him to order one and we will give it a try
Darkest
I would love to see the Cray video, would you put up a link …and if I die I told my son to keep it for 10 years and then auction it off on ebay should be worth a million buy then
Uncle bob
Thanks for the offer to decipher my broken English and put it into something everyone can understand that seems like a pretty big job
I look at the pump site that you put up and there are so many …I was wondering if you might narrow it down a little
Surlyjoe
I’m glad you approve…. the others that are doing this are they posting somewhere??

Well the block and backer plate are finished I guess the next step will be to start testing pumps and spray nozzles any ideas from you guys would be great
Attached Thumbnails
Direct Die pics-image-0120.jpg  

i may be getting close
Old 27th February, 2003, 01:31 AM

i sure hope those pin's will take the presure im going to put on them
Attached Thumbnails
Direct Die pics-image-0121.jpg  

i may be getting close
Old 27th February, 2003, 01:32 AM

from the end
Attached Thumbnails
Direct Die pics-image-0122.jpg  

i may be getting close
Old 27th February, 2003, 03:47 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally posted by kat
SM
The carburetor jet idea as good as it sounded might not work, the smallest jet that can be ordered is 40 thousands, brother Joe thought that might be a little to big.. I told him to order one and we will give it a try
Did you try the Motorcycle shops? Car jets are going to be bigger due to the volume the engines need. Motorcycles on the other hand need far less. I can remember trying to clean M/C jets that were so small that I had to un-twist a braided wire to get a single strand so I could poke it through the passage. The wire in a bread twist tie was too big.

Now I'm not sure what kind of pressure you would need to get it to atomize the water.

Aren't you glad you didn't kiss me now?

Old 27th February, 2003, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kat

Uncle bob
Thanks for the offer to decipher my broken English and put it into something everyone can understand that seems like a pretty big job
I look at the pump site that you put up and there are so many …I was wondering if you might narrow it down a little
Can you give me some other design criteria? I heard 60 PSIG output, how about min max for that. How about GPM: min & max as well.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 27th February, 2003, 10:15 AM

Kat, there is no reason you couldnt use a diaphragm pump, they only need the moving parts lubricated as the fluid to be pumped is seperated from any moving parts by the diaphragm. You would most likely want a pair though, to minimise pressure fluctuation (one pushes water out, while the other draws it in). In a phase change design you dont really need high flow, as evaporating water can soak up a bucket load of heat. the problem is it really needs to be a total loss system, just dumping the water vapour and any water left as a liquid to keep efficient.

As to the pins taking the pressure. why not mill out a channel for them? and the component in the centre of the socket?

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 27th February, 2003, 10:17 AM

Kat, I can't get over what a beautiful job you've done on that. Not only does it look like it would work, it looks great to. I'm checking to see if I can get the okay to upload the cray video here and I'll let you know as soon as I find out. It's a 50mb wmv file so I hope I can get the okay. If not, is there anyone who has the space who would be kind enough to host it?
Old 27th February, 2003, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kat
i sure hope those pin's will take the presure im going to put on them
Those pins shouldbe ok.

You could cut up some mouse mat and put it between the board and the perspex to spread the load out a bit.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.