AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.
Old 28th February, 2003, 12:18 AM

Kat,
Betty was kind enough to take the time and scan and post the file on the Cray system today. That was really cool of her on such short notice. So if yer interested it's up there
Old 28th February, 2003, 03:54 AM

Fantastic video, and cheers to betty! :beer:
Old 28th February, 2003, 05:51 AM

thanks darkest and Betty very interesting video

350 lbs per sq in to engage the the chips to the board wow!!

I'm having problems with finding the right method to atomize the water i went and picked these up at the Harley dealer in grand-rapids today they range from 109 thousands to 125 smallest ones they make and the hole is still to big i can get a spray but only at a very high pressure more than I'm willing to deal with ,at 120 lbs it literally will blow a hole in something

Ive found a couple of spray nozzle companies online I'm going to send a couple of emails tomorrow and see if can just buy a nozzle
Attached Thumbnails
Direct Die pics-image-0123.jpg  

fer 47 years ive been seeking a balance in life
and I’ve been from one end to the other
i may be getting close
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th February, 2003, 06:07 AM

one of these should do nicely
Attached Thumbnails
Direct Die pics-image-0124.jpg  

i may be getting close
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th February, 2003, 09:08 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally posted by kat

I'm having problems with finding the right method to atomize the water i went and picked these up at the Harley dealer in grand-rapids today they range from 109 thousands to 125 smallest ones they make and the hole is still to big i can get a spray but only at a very high pressure more than I'm willing to deal with ,at 120 lbs it literally will blow a hole in something

Ive found a couple of spray nozzle companies online I'm going to send a couple of emails tomorrow and see if can just buy a nozzle
Dang, I thought for sure they would spray at a lower pressure than that. Oh well, at least you got to get a look at some cool scoots I hope.

The catalog you show looks like it's a good next attempt. I hope they work as far as size goes.

I'm pulling for ya Kat. You'll get this worked out and have a bunch of people asking for the recipe soon.
----------------------------------------------

Old 28th February, 2003, 09:55 AM

Ya there's a lot of us cheering for ya. You really deserve a Kat.
Old 28th February, 2003, 09:55 AM
AOA Staff

ever see the jets on one of those wal-mart yard mister wand thingys to keep you cool n the summer?
Old 28th February, 2003, 10:25 AM

You could try a jet from a smaller carburetor, perhaps for a small bore engine. Try here for starters. Perhaps a trip to a small engine repair shop would yeild a free 'used' jet?
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 28th February, 2003, 12:04 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Bob
You could try a jet from a smaller carburetor, perhaps for a small bore engine. Try here for starters. Perhaps a trip to a small engine repair shop would yeild a free 'used' jet?
Nope Carb jets are just a needle that calibrates the fuel flow. Atomisation in a carb is done purely through pressure and temp changes, the fuel enters in the lowest pressure part of the venturi, this low pressure promotes evaporation. To evaporate the fuel needs energy, and takes it from the surrounding air. This is why carbs can Ice up, even at 25c the temperature of the air at the throat of the venturi is below zero! If any moisture is present in the air it will tend to freeze, and if it sticks to the venturi walls you get into a vicious circle. Ice forms, so the venturi throat diameter narrows, accelerating the air further, which drops the temp which causes the ice to form faster and so on...

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 28th February, 2003, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surlyjoe
ever see the jets on one of those wal-mart yard mister wand thingys to keep you cool n the summer?
you and my brother must think a like he suggested the same thing yesterday , that was on my list today , I'm also going to the Honda shop as well maybe they will have something smaller

the sad part about having to change methods in mid stream is that i will probably have to build a new big block ...oh well now that Ive done one the 2nd should go a little better

i may be getting close
Old 28th February, 2003, 02:29 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Its all practice remember

Also proper atomisation is gonna help prevent erosion! as the water particles should be tiny! and wont be at too high a velocity with luck.

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 28th February, 2003, 02:46 PM

Send a message via MSN to Spode

As surlyjoe was saying HP patented a very similar system using the nozzles from their inkject printers.....
Old 1st March, 2003, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Spode
As surlyjoe was saying HP patented a very similar system using the nozzles from their inkject printers.....
i couldn't get the video link to work try again tomorrow

the dielectric fluid sounds interesting i wonder how i could get my hands on some of that ...and as for that vapor bubble .. thing i think spraying at an angle should take care of that
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well i might have found a suitable nozzle and it works at low pressure 15-20 lbs and at the distance i am from the chip the spray pattern is looking really good its from a plant mist canister

experimented with a small fountain pump today and all i really did was waste 50 bucks,I'm going to look for a different pump tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails
Direct Die pics-image-0125.jpg  

i may be getting close
Old 1st March, 2003, 08:01 PM

Well I have collected every thing I need to do my first test of the pump and nozzle, interesting morning to say the least, I started looking for the things I needed at the north end of town,

the first auto parts I stopped at the guy seem disinterested in helping me and made a half hearted attempt at best, the 2nd store I got a dull stair from the 2 girls behind the desk and with a little extra prompting I managed to get the young lady to pull out a catalogue and look for a fuel pump with the specs that I was looking for ,and after a few minutes I could see she not trying very hard and becoming agitated so I thanked her for her time and left,

the third store however the guy was great ,when I told him what I was looking for he looked at me and said I know just what you doing apparently this was the fellow that my brother had been talking too about the carb jets, he immediately went into the back room pulled a pump from the shelf looked at the paper work grabbed a catalogue and looked up the specs ,a total of five minutes and I had exactly what I was looking for, but not before I had wasted an hour talking to unmotivated people

Well any way I just want to toss out a big thanks to “Trapper the auto parts guy” he should be visiting the site later today

And of course the RadioShack guys were awesome as usual
Attached Thumbnails
Direct Die pics-image-0126.jpg  

i may be getting close
Old 1st March, 2003, 10:57 PM

The first test went very well except for the bath I received due to my impatient nature, I decided to hook up the nozzle with out the relief valve in place, and in 1 second the needle on the pressure gauge pegged at 100 plus lbs and blew the hose with a clamp apart soaking me and spraying water all over the kitchen which removed any doubt I had weather the pump could do the job, and as an added bonus the pump is almost completely silent ,good thing I put 10 foot leads from the power supply to the pump

This is how I have every thing hooked up excluding the return line
Attached Thumbnails
Direct Die pics-image-0127.jpg  

i may be getting close
Old 1st March, 2003, 11:02 PM

the system has been running at this pressure for over an hour without any problems or leaks
Attached Thumbnails
Direct Die pics-image-0129.jpg  

i may be getting close
Old 1st March, 2003, 11:10 PM

the spray nozzle i found was very disapointing the spray pattern is terible like the first one in the picture , what i was realy hoping for would have been more like the 2nd
i think im going to order a couple of nozzles from this company
Attached Thumbnails
Direct Die pics-image-0130.jpg  

i may be getting close

Last edited by kat; 2nd March, 2003 at 12:40 AM.
Old 1st March, 2003, 11:34 PM

this picture is kind of cool i turned the shutter speed up as fast as it would go and was actually able to catch the individual drops ...notice the hollow spot in the middle
Attached Thumbnails
Direct Die pics-image-0128.jpg  

i may be getting close
Old 1st March, 2003, 11:51 PM

Kat, are you looking for a hollow cone type? If so why? I'd figure a full cone would be better for your application. If I'm totally off, mind explaining.
Old 2nd March, 2003, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Switch
Kat, are you looking for a hollow cone type? If so why? I'd figure a full cone would be better for your application. If I'm totally off, mind explaining.
the nozzle i found at walmart sprays a hollow cone and i would like a full cone spray pattern

i may be getting close