AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

View Poll Results: water or florinert
come on kat put the water in!! we want see burnt computer parts 4 66.67%
no no no kat take the safe road use the florinert all we care about are the temps 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd March, 2003, 09:35 PM

Fluorinert /water? direct die pole

Ive been sitting here having a little debate with my self about using the Fluorinert
Or water
I started out with the intentions of using water ,which we all know is dangerous and kind of made the whole thing a little exciting, and then the Fluorinert thing came into play and has basically made this whole thing a no-brainer I think any guy with a dremmel could direct die cool with just a little bit of effort

Any way im posting a pole and will let all of you decide, whatever the results tomorrow morning will be the way I go

fer 47 years ive been seeking a balance in life
and I’ve been from one end to the other
i may be getting close

Last edited by kat; 23rd March, 2003 at 05:37 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd March, 2003, 11:00 PM

Neat looking stuff actually!
It's inert, a great plus! Unless you use deionized water, even distilled water has the ability to conduct electricity and react with metals. This appears not to or it's so low as to be of little concern.

For those interested: the Product info and MSDS tell it all.

A boiling point of 156 C is great! I don't want to be around if the rig gets that hot. You should have a single phase system now.

It appears that it has almost identical thermal properties of water so it's a wonderful choice! (if my math is ok! ) Perhaps it would be good in a regular closed loop watercooled system were it not for the huge cost difference?
Here is some info I found:
Attached Thumbnails
Fluorinert /water?  direct die pole-water.jpg  
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd March, 2003, 12:53 AM

well i decided to finish reading the product info that 3m sent me and it looks like Fluorinert FC-3283 is not going to work take a look see

my entire seal is silicone
Attached Thumbnails
Fluorinert /water?  direct die pole-image-0220.jpg  

i may be getting close
Old 23rd March, 2003, 01:14 AM

Why not seal the silicone with an o-ring or something so it doesn't get wet it just holds the block on the die. Although Fluorinert is a bit expensive you could lose say 3 cpus with water before you would see the justification in price so water i say.
Old 23rd March, 2003, 01:21 AM

its not just the silicone but the hose's and some of the pump parts too

i would have to redesign the entire system

i may be getting close
Old 23rd March, 2003, 01:25 AM

Ouch!! I guess it was too perfect, eh? I just finished reading the same FAQ sheet you did and also find this:
Attached Thumbnails
Fluorinert /water?  direct die pole-water.jpg  
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!

Old 23rd March, 2003, 01:40 AM

perhaps it was an omen from the overclocking gods that i didn't get home in time to order the stuff on Friday i guess i should have been a little more thorough

I'm glad you were reading up to UB i might have missed that

i may be getting close
Old 23rd March, 2003, 01:49 AM

No problem! UB works in the Petrochemical Industry. I collect MSDS's. My MSDS fetish grew out of a need to know (it's actually a 15 or so year old federal law). You see...."Saaaaaaaaaay, what was that stuff we just spilled on my coveralls? Why are they smoking and dissolving? Hey, my hand hurts! I thought yousaid this stuff was safe? What do you mean you don't really know!"

All this information is readily available now. With the 'recent' advent of the internet it's pretty much immediately available as well. First responders like fireteams find it absolutely vital to their safety and ability to correctly deal with incidents.

Old 23rd March, 2003, 05:34 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Isn't Fluorinert very expensive? I didn't realize that glycol is so bad at sucking up the heat, compared to water. Makes me wonder why a 50-50 mix of antifreeze and water is so popular in auto engine cooling systems.
Old 23rd March, 2003, 05:39 AM

abut 300$ for 3/4 of a gallon and if you go with a better grade its around 425$ for the same amount

kinda sucks that it doesn't play nice with other plastics

i may be getting close
Old 23rd March, 2003, 05:43 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Ow, Ow, Ouch! kat, that price is redicimalous, IMHO.
Old 23rd March, 2003, 05:50 AM

at first when i thought this was "wonder juice" and i could just use it any old way i like, the price didn't seem so bad, but after reading the fine print its more hassle then its worth

i may be getting close
Old 23rd March, 2003, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kat
at first when i thought this was "wonder juice" and i could just use it any old way i like, the price didn't seem so bad, but after reading the fine print its more hassle then its worth
I agree.

If it was a straight choice between filling the system from the water or florinet taps in your house then the florinet wins.

But paying $300 for the florinet is way to much to spend.

Try it with water, if your temps are OK then use the extra cash to build your self a big old waterchiller and get the temps down that way.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 23rd March, 2003, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
Isn't Fluorinert very expensive? I didn't realize that glycol is so bad at sucking up the heat, compared to water. Makes me wonder why a 50-50 mix of antifreeze and water is so popular in auto engine cooling systems.
Anti freeze (glycol) is used to lower the freezing point, raise the boiling point and provide protection against corrosion and galvanic action. It's a tradeoff for our engines actually are designed to operate at hot temps to insure complete burn of fuel. Race cars typically use straight water as it affords much better cooling and, er.....emissions aren't in the forefront of design! LOL