AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th April, 2003, 05:09 PM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

Does Water Wetter Work?

Does it actually help to reduce temps a bit? If so has anyone any idea what I might expect the reduction to be? I wouldnt think it would be much but every little helps
Old 13th April, 2003, 06:57 PM
AOA Staff

THE COOLING BENIFIT IS NOMINAL, BUT IT DOES INHIBIT CORROSION

sry bout the caps
Old 13th April, 2003, 10:22 PM

Works excellent in my Race Car good for about a 20 deg temp reduction when mixed with straight water and no antifreez. In my H20 sys it seems to have shaved off about 1 deg. with 1 ounce mixed with distilled water as near as I can tell. Temp measured with thermal probe touching the edge of my cpu die.
Old 16th April, 2003, 01:38 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

If mixed in the correct proportions, it should help. How much it'll help is another thing entirely!

Áedán
Old 18th April, 2003, 09:11 PM

Water wetter is just a detergent dissolved in water, 1/2 a dishwasher tablet dissolved in pure water will do much the same thing. It works by breaking down the surface tension of the water allowing fuller contact with the wetted surfaces for better heat transfer. What type of race car did you try the water wetter in RandyB? I am also in the motorsport industry and have never seen any significant advantage from using water wetter.
Old 19th April, 2003, 04:29 AM

Dodge,
I run a Winged Sprint Car. That's me Hot lapping @ Skagit Speedway in my Avatar. We run injected 360 CID Chevy's on Methanol. With straight water I'll come in 220 to 225 after a 25 lap main event. With a bottle of watter wetter added I'll come in at 200 this is in the warmest part of summer. All the other cars
in my class share simular results. We all run it.
Old 21st April, 2003, 10:37 PM

Glad its working for you RandyB, it must be something to do with the block material your using. I saw a lab report on it and it definitely is detergent mixed with water.
Old 21st April, 2003, 11:12 PM

That's odd, you would think if it was just detergent mixed with water that it would foam and wouldn't do anything to enhance
cooling, there must be some additional (secret)ingredients in it as well.
I have never smelled any type of detergent that stinks as bad as water wetter does when you get it on your hands when it's hot and leaking out of the rad or block. In that respect it is just plain nasty.

Last edited by RandyB; 21st April, 2003 at 11:14 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st April, 2003, 11:17 PM

Dishwasher tablets also have anti foaming agents in them, Water wetter must also contain corrosion inhibitors as well.