AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th December, 2001, 07:52 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Once upon a time, the Alpha PEP-66 was the best..

The Alpha PEP-66 was the top of the line HSF roughly two and a half years ago. It was the most expensive HSF available at the time and was designed specifically for use on Slockets.

I'm giving my brother my P3B-F Slot 1 P3E 600 machine for Christmas. As my PEP-66 is the only Slocket HSF I have, I want to get rid of, ahem, I want him to have it for the Slocketed P3E. Perhaps the wimpy wire clip for the PEP-66 got stretched a bit when I tried it on a S370 mainboard. Maybe a S370 Celly has a different "geometry" than a FC-PGA CPU and this "tired out" the wire clip.

I ordered a stronger Version 2 wire clip for the Alpha from 2cooltek. This new clip is a good deal wider and getting it between the fins of the HS distorts it a lot. It needs forcing, and by the time it reaches the point where it will engage the lugs of the S370 it's bent far out of true. It required fiddling with so that no light could be seen through the top of the CPU/bottom of the HS junction. The upshot is that a GW FOP-38 works a little better, using an identical Delta screamer.

Maybe the crux of the biscuit is that a new $5 clip does not a new heatsink make!
Old 9th December, 2001, 08:00 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Ah, the memories!....sigh....":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th December, 2001, 10:18 PM

I still have 2 of the alpha pep66, ver.1 an ver.2. They where great with the intel P3 chips.
Old 12th December, 2001, 05:18 AM

Isn't (according Zappa) the, "crux of the biscuit the apostrophe?"

Notice to signature reader: The entire physical universe, including
this signature, may one day collapse back into an infinitesimally
small space. Should another universe subsequently re-emerge,
the existence of this signature in that universe cannot be guaranteed.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th December, 2001, 07:02 PM

Lol, i have soo many heatsinks from yesteryear....

First there was the bigass globalwin thing for my SLot Athlon.. one that came with the ducting and everything.
Then I upgraded to Socket A! And got a FOP38.... then at a comp fair i bought a no-name sink that kicked its ass for 8quid..
Then Spode needed a duron for his heatsink roundup, so i swapped a duron600 (which originally came from him somehow, i dont remember) for a WBK68 and another of the NO-name sinks.
Then, the fan on the WBK decided to shoot a fin, so it became a WBK 38 with the fop38 fan..
The noise annoyed me soo much i went and bought a Taisol 760 from Tekheads, and killed the fan about an hour after getting it (same fan as WBK68, had worlds most fragile blades! innovative POS)
I had dabbled with watercooling on and off in that time, and picked up about 7or8 no-name heatsink from comp fair which looked interesting....

Now I'm watercooled with a Swiftech MCW462b - Dunno how i managed with the fop noise for so long! Still with my forst socket A processor, trust duron800@1000 ish (its a moody bastard)

Dogs can never have too much fun! See Marge, Weee, weee, woo! wayhey! weeeeeeeee!!! -Homer
Old 12th December, 2001, 11:39 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

dave are u the dave off spodes abode then?

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 12th December, 2001, 11:42 PM

yep, thats me!

Dogs can never have too much fun! See Marge, Weee, weee, woo! wayhey! weeeeeeeee!!! -Homer