AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th December, 2001, 05:14 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Glaciator on a S370 mainboard??

I have a Millenium Glaciator HSF that's specifically designed for a Socket A mainboard. The HSF would be better used on a S370 mobo with a PPGA Celly, not a Celeron II or P3E.

Will this destroy the motherboard's S370? Will King Kong's hands be needed to attach the SK7 clip?? Will the SK7's clip buckle be destroyed by trying this? It's a POS, and designed like the original SK7 clips for FOP-38's. No slot for a stubby screwdriver, and you prob'ly couldn't use it if it was there, anyway--because of this HSF's like totally kewl rad design.

I hate to be a nudge, but a fast answer would be VERY helpful! Thank you!
Old 9th December, 2001, 06:56 PM

Cloasters...

Same info needed on my end... Got the galciator, going to socket 370 it...

Best answer--Pinky has one (Glaciator II) on his Celley 3... he didn't mention a big problem... you might PM him if he's OL...

K

Notice to signature reader: The entire physical universe, including
this signature, may one day collapse back into an infinitesimally
small space. Should another universe subsequently re-emerge,
the existence of this signature in that universe cannot be guaranteed.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th December, 2001, 12:52 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thanks, Kris! I bit the bullet and tried it. I had to hook the buckle end first, then the non-buckle end of the SK7 clip. Only because the space between the caps around the S370 of an Asus CUBX-E and the buckle end of Glaciator's steel strap is too confined. This might be the smart way to attach this clip, even if you have plenty of room near the buckle because the buckle is a flimsy thing, like the one's on the SK7 clips for early FOP-32/38's were. You can use a stubby common screwdriver to depress the non-buckle side of the clip, plus a jeweller's Phillips to press the end in to latch firmly on the Socket 370's lug.

Works like a champ. My C366 at 550 Mhz @ 2.00 Core Volts(default) is running at 29.5 C. The room temp is about 64F. Nonetheless, the olde Celerons are hot running processors when OC'd--this is a dang good temp! Never seen it this cool before.

I never thought I'd use this HSF. It's scarily heavy, glad I didn't 86 it!
Old 10th December, 2001, 05:54 AM

Yes.... they wouldn't be the best option on a portable gaming box!! (besides adding a couple pounds, I think they might actually weigh enough to do damage to the CPU & mobo... )

Thanks for the install tip.. mine is up somtime before Wed... I gotta lap the Glaciator first though...

I am going to working with a C3 & was considering removing the IHS from the slug.. think there is enough wieght & pressure required to damamge the core even if I use a protective foot (medium wieght foam)?

Maybe I need to develop a shim out of something more solid??

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th December, 2001, 05:56 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Using the Millennium Glaciator in a LAN box is out of the question! It's attached firmly to my S370 mainboard, so I decided that a safety tether isn't mandatory.

Nonetheless, the box that it's in must be handled like eggs. Moving the case even a centimeter requires extreme care!

I haven't seen a C3 in person. If it were mine, I'd leave the heat spreader alone and let it stay there. The clip on the Glaciator isn't as forceful as the one on late model FOP-38's, btw. Why complicate things by removing the heat spreader and adding a shim?
Old 10th December, 2001, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I haven't seen a C3 in person. If it were mine, I'd leave the heat spreader alone and let it stay there. The clip on the Glaciator isn't as forceful as the one on late model FOP-38's, btw. Why complicate things by removing the heat spreader and adding a shim?
From what I've READ, there is quite an advantage to removing the IHS (5-8C)... (& I know from experience that this may be different in practice)... I probably will not remove it on the first OC run, but if she doesn't get to "1.6-ish" and heat is an indication removing the IHS will be my next move...

Makes sense that 2 thermal transfers are less efficient than 1 (the pro)... also makes sense that the core is "delicate"--because of Intel's revival of the IHS (the con)...

Sheesh, I'd hate to crack or chip this baby...

Old 15th December, 2001, 01:25 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I can't argue: 5-8C is a LOT of difference! Beats me why Intel goes to the trouble of adding a heat spreader--and then negates its value by not doing it right.
Then again, Chipzilla insists that P3E's are OK up to 80-85C. Then proves that it believes its own lying propaganda by using stock HSF's for the RB'd flavors(except for the 1 Gig+ P3E's) that can't cool an igloo in a blizzard.

Ya just gotta love Sir Andy Grove.