AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th May, 2003, 03:29 AM

cooling question

I have a case that I did some modding on and now i'm putting in the 3 additional thermaltake fans. My question is, is it better to suck air out of the case or blow air in? I have a portal fan sucking air out and a front panel fan sucking air out, and a fan in the back blowing air in. Would I be better having them blow air in?

Dave
Old 7th May, 2003, 05:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

try having more air going OUT then in, its a negitive pressure so that dust wont settle. Count the CFM of the fans going in and out, more OUT is better - Include you powersupply fan.
So having 3x out (2 back and powersupply) and 2in is a good idea
-
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th May, 2003, 06:22 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Diferent schools of thought for sure.

I have always believed in sucking out the back and top and blowing in the front and bottom.

Some will tell you that you should have more air in than out and have filters and this will keep youfrom getting dust into all the small cracks and crevises of things like opical drives. It sounds like sound advise to me. Especially since I have 2 80mm fans blowing in the front and 2 80mm fans sucking out the back plus the PSU and I am constantly digging out dust and dog hair.

Anyway, I would flip all your fans. Have the front ones blowing in, the back ones sucking out. I don't know what you mean by a portal fan but if it is on the side over the vid card have it blow in. If it is on the top have it suck the hot air out.

As long as your system temps are good and you don't have a dust problem don't worry about positive or negitive pressure.

And welcome to the forums.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th May, 2003, 09:20 AM

Also, remember that hot air moves slower than cold air, it is more dense so position the fans where they are gonan pick up hot air and not cold.

I think getting air in and out are eqaully important/ Its always good to have a lot of cold air going in but if its not going out theres a problem so if your gonan take it in, take it out. If your gonan take it out you gotta put some more in so its 50/50 for me.

As heat rises always good to make maybe one of two fans in the top of the case blowing air out of the top.

Craig
Old 30th May, 2003, 01:18 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz Send a message via AIM to Jazz

Actually cold air is more dense than hot.
"Folding protiens and taking names"
Old 30th May, 2003, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jazz
Actually cold air is more dense than hot.
Thats not what my science teacher says!

Craig
Old 30th May, 2003, 03:39 PM

CCW you need a new science teacher!

As air heats up molecular acitvity increases, which breaks the molecules apart and results in less dense air. The less dense air 'floats' on the denser cold air.

As a rule of thumb, I always keep airflow moving from the lower front of the case to the upper rear. Have your intakes on the front and exhaust on the back. If you have a side case fan, let it intake air, while a top mounted fan should exhaust.

Dust will always be a problem but going for more exhaust might help... I usually just balance intake/exhust and use an air filter on my intakes.
Kingston HyperX PC3500 @ DDR444 2-3-3-7
World Web Chat | Web Design
Old 30th May, 2003, 03:45 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by CCW

Thats not what my science teacher says!

Craig
In general, it's best for fans in the lower half of the case to draw air in, and fans in the upper half of the case to extract air from the case. Unless one resides in the middle of an ocean, fans that suck air into the case need to be equipped with filters.

Uh-oh! Where did this science teacher come from? New Zealand? I knew it, hanging on the the planet nearly upside down can give folks... strange ideas. Perhaps this science teacher was referring to something other than air's density for a moment?

Yeah, yeah--I know that even at the South Pole, people are right side up. Shuh.

Spyder, it's accepted wisdom that a slight over-pressure is best for case interior cleanliness. Where do these upstanding Members that are credits to their community's get these highly unorthodox ideas? Tsk.

People sometimes achieve better cooling by "breaking the rules."
Old 30th May, 2003, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters

Where do these upstanding Members that are credits to their community's get these highly unorthodox ideas?

i dont get ya

Craig