AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th May, 2003, 07:36 PM

Dabbling with water cooling

I'm looking at getting into a little water cooling. The reason for this is to decrease the noise in my system and make it cooler. The 80mm fan on my Volcano 7 is providing adequate cooling but makes a lot of noise, I'm guessing most water setups would beat 49C on a XP1600@1.89GHz.

I'm not looking to increase my overclock, I'm pretty sure my AGP voltage is the limiting factor there and I can't alter it on my motherboard. I just want it quiter, maybe with a soothing bubbling noise (I've never heard a watercooled setup) and I hope to extend the life of my heavily abused athlon.

So I'm thinking of getting a starter kit for about £150 max. It needs to be fairly reliable as I'll be taking it to uni in the autumn (Fall!). Trouble is there seem to be a lot of cheap and nasty kits out there:

Maxxxperthttp://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...r_Cooling.html This one is £150 but I've never heard of the brand though they sell a lot of stuff on OCS

http://www.theoverclockingstore.co.u...6a0ce23d3b1a03
Then there's this one which is ~£100 and requires a pump. Eheim ones on this site are £30-40 to buy separately, though I'd prefer a pump I could run on 12V internally. Using a relay will do but I don't know if that's included, and I can't make one myself.

Wet and chilly chips http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/...cat=408&page=1
This kit is complete at £130 and all the bits and pieces look nice - normally a sign of decent manufacture quality though I've never heard of them before either.

I could just order the parts separately without too much trouble, are there any particular brands anybody'd recommend.

AOA Team fah

Last edited by stigweed; 19th May, 2003 at 07:39 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th May, 2003, 12:28 AM
Member/Contributer

Hey stigweed, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you.
I've seen a Wet and Chilly chips setup installed in a box and boy was it LOUD! Far louder than just normal air cooling. I wouldn't consider it personally.

Have a look at these waterblocks from a Finish site I found by accident.
http://www.web-jussi.com/cgi-bin/sql...ytys&ryhma2=66
The blocks look very well made and are very reasonably priced.
They also do complete kits and custom order kits too. Just write to them.
Hope that helps.

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th May, 2003, 12:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

i have heard and seen some GREAT things with those Maxxexpert watercoling kits. THey are relitlivly quiet, and sound wise its nothing a reo couldnt knock down further.
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 20th May, 2003, 01:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to Mr.Wells

contack danger den. they have vary good blocks and kits. there blocks have gottin better numbers then the switftek one and they are realy kool people. dangerden.com
Old 20th May, 2003, 02:10 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

The GREAT thing about water is you can hear yourself think again.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 22nd May, 2003, 06:20 PM

With the Wet and Chilly kit was the noise from the pump (unavoidable) or from the fan (downvolt it). I really liked the look of their kit as it was complete and looked decent quality. I especially liked their clip mechanism for the CPU block.

I had someone recommend Danger Den to me but I haven't looked into seeing if they ship to england yet or not.

AOA Team fah
Old 22nd May, 2003, 06:35 PM

OK, looking at Danger Den, I can put together a complete custom kit which seems to consist of a load of decent kit. It's about £130 converted but that's before shipping which I still don't know if they ship to UK

AOA Team fah
Old 22nd May, 2003, 06:51 PM

It's £150 inc shipping for a 3/8" danger den kit with an Eheim pump. I think I'll leave it till I see how much my next pay cheque is. Anyone know if Eheim pumps are noisy? Is the 1025 pump submersible?

AOA Team fah
Old 22nd May, 2003, 07:25 PM

Stig, I have an Eheim 1048 in my customized innovatek kit. It is nearly silent. The only time I hear it is when I turn it on it has a faint click. If you get some air in the system you will hear a slight gurgling sound. I am real happy with mine and from what I have
seen and read many others are as well. Good luck! I was told once you go water you will never go back to air, I'm a believer now.
Old 22nd May, 2003, 07:58 PM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

Couldnt find the 1025 on the Eheim site but if you take a look at this link it looks like it is submersible

http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedFo.../prefilter.htm

I've got a 1048 as well and as Randy says it is virtually silent.

You can get dangerden in the UK as well from
here Not sure about the kits but you might be able to shave a bit off the price
Old 22nd May, 2003, 08:36 PM

I was getting confused between the 1048 and the 1025 (or something like that going form memory). The 1048 was probably the one i'd go forbeing as its cheaper and I'm only running an XP1600 which isn't likely to go further if it gets colder so I don't need massive airflow.

As I said, its £150 worth and I just saw my last credit card statement...

But it will happen

AOA Team fah
Old 25th May, 2003, 06:34 PM

Hehe. Just discovered my grandmother has a little financial gift for me for university. Going to see her tomorrow. Of course I will need a complete watercooling kit to get through Uni so ya know...

AOA Team fah
Old 29th May, 2003, 05:24 PM

stigweed, www.over-clock.co.uk have some nice custom kits that use DangerDen stuff and Eheim pumps, might be worth a look for you. The rpcies are pretty good as well.

Craig
Old 29th May, 2003, 07:28 PM

Thanks. I got my eheim pump from www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk this morning. Damn silent, tested it in my kitchen sink. I ordered a bunch of dangerden stuff and its on its way from the States now. Can't wait its gona be so quiet.

Today was pretty hot and my machine kept crashing when previously its aircooling would do.

Typicla I get this sorted right before my first exam. I'm gonna spend all of monday tinkering with the kit and then fail my Pure 4 on tuesday. ah well.

anyone know of a cheap standalone relay setup you can buy? The closest thing I've seen is those powerstrips that switch on with a USB port.

AOA Team fah
Old 29th May, 2003, 08:17 PM

Stig, go to www.highspeedpc.com and look at the CritiCool PowerPlant PCI Relay Card . They do ship internationally.
I purchased all my H2O gear there and have been 100% satisfied
Scott will go out of his way to help you out.
Old 29th May, 2003, 08:38 PM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

This isnt that cheap but it looks like a nice and tidy solution. I've bought a few things from them and service is excellent. When they say next day they mean it

http://www.chill-tek.com/products/ex...cessories.html
Old 31st May, 2003, 08:46 PM

Thanks. I saw that PCI thing on the dangerden site, should have ordered it then and saved on the postage but I couldn't work out exactly what it did.

Got paid for all my easter overtime so I might be able to splash out. The Barton XP2600+ is looking tasty at £80 compared to my XP1600...

The dangerden stuff reached Bristol airport todya so it should get delivered on monday.

AOA Team fah
Old 31st May, 2003, 09:06 PM

Ok .ordered a PCI card. Now someone destroy my debit and credit cards. NEed to save all that money i earnt. Plase don't sugest any other stuff i need for water cooling.

NO Vapochill no prometia!

AOA Team fah
Old 2nd June, 2003, 06:52 PM
Member/Contributer

Any updates to make Stigweed. Hows the H2O setup coming along?

Just curious
----------------------------------------------

Old 2nd June, 2003, 07:22 PM

The dangerden stuff arrived this morning. I ran the setup for about an hour outside of my box. It seems perfect. I haven't got any hose clips yet so I'm not installing it for a bit; they should arrive tomorrow with the PCI relay card. I ordered Tygon 1/2" tubing (slightly more expensive) and it simply will not kink, which is nice. The MAZE3 block has a lucite top so you can see any bubbles, I managed to bleed the system pretty quickly by shaking the whole thing about. Gonna drain it again before I install it but I've got plenty of distillled water here.

I've got my first A Level exam tomorrow and I really should be revising but I'm not.

I'm going to test my angle grinder+wirebrush to see what kind of smooth finish it gives a cheap heatsink cos i need to polish the DD MAZE3 before I use it.

I've also got to find the resistor I dropped on the floor as I need it to slow down the 120mm fan I've got for the radiator. Even at 7V its noisy (won't spin up at 5V) but with the resistor it's almost silent. Except I dropped the 2 Ohm res somewhere and haven't got any others like it.

Got a few cables to tidy up inside the case as the braiding on the psu cables is peeling back and a few other bits and pieces then it'll be finished. The case is looking damn nice now too - a midi tower with a water cooling setup, window kit, bunch of fans and it doesn't look cluttered. Will post pictures this week when its all finished.

Oh yeah and I just bought a 2nd hand 40gig WD 7200rpm drive (as new from a mate) to replace my minging 20gig 5400rpm IBM drive which won't start unless you wiggle the power connector.

AOA Team fah