AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th May, 2003, 08:06 PM

Fan voltage question

You can run a fan at 12, 7 or 5 Volts depending on how you wire it up and assuming the fan will happily run at such speeds. Now. At 7 volts, the +5V line gets conencted to the negative terminal on your fan.

Normally conventional current would flow from +12 or +5 down to 0 through you components. Now if you run at 7 volts, the conventional current goes from +12 to +5. Surely this means that current is going the wrong way up the 5V line? Is this bad for PSUs? I've never seen it affect the way a pc functions I just don't feel good about it. can someone explain?

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th May, 2003, 09:51 PM
Member/Contributer

A friend of mine who is in the electronics business assured me that it wouldn't hurt the PSU at all... But I can't really remember the reasons he gave!
Old 19th May, 2003, 09:53 PM

WEll that's good cos I just started doing it anyway. 120mm fans are SOO Loud at 12V

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th May, 2003, 12:49 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Re: Fan voltage question

Quote:
Originally posted by stigweed
Now if you run at 7 volts, the conventional current goes from +12 to +5. Surely this means that current is going the wrong way up the 5V line? Is this bad for PSUs
Ahh. Now, lets say your fan uses 0.1A when running at 7 volts. What happens? Well, the power flows from the +12V line, through the fan, and into the 5V line. However, there's a wacking great motherboard chewing up 25A worth of power on the 5V line. The fan will be providing 0.1A worth of that 25A, and the PSU will provide the other 24.9A on the 5V line.

In other words, as long as there's a significantly larger load between 5V and 0V, then putting a fan between 12V and 5V won't really make any difference.

Áedán
Old 22nd May, 2003, 06:08 PM

Ah I was thinking about that. I wasn't sure what would require that kind of current on the 5V line.

I thought it'd be you that came through on this kind of question, Áedán.

AOA Team fah