AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th May, 2003, 03:25 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nate-X Send a message via AIM to Nate-X

Adding fans to the EPoX 8RDA3+ NB and SB heatsinks..

http://www.pureoc.com/Images/EPoX8RDA3+/NB-L.jpg
http://www.pureoc.com/Images/EPoX8RD...thBridge-L.jpg

Just wondering if there'd be an easy non-void the warranty way of sticking a fan on the northbridge and southbridgeon this board. Are 40mm fans small enough to stick on there?
Old 27th May, 2003, 04:44 PM

The second you remove the stock northbridge fan you void the warranty. It sucks, but that's what the EPoX guys say AFAIK.

You can get something like an Iceberq which will fit the holes on the northbridge so it will just clip on, but either way you have to remove the thermal tape on the stock cooler. But that way you don't need to glue anything, just use some thermal paste/AS3 on the nothbridge chip and clip the new heatsink on. You can move the stock northbridge cooler to your southbridge as well, and although it will clip right on you'll probably have to bend some fins to get around some protruding parts near the southbridge. At least I did..
Kingston HyperX PC3500 @ DDR444 2-3-3-7
World Web Chat | Web Design
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th May, 2003, 04:49 PM

I just want to stick a fan on the exisiting heatsinks..
Old 27th May, 2003, 05:10 PM

Ahh, yes, well pay no attention to my ramblings... I was kinda doing a few things at once

A 40mm is small enough, I put a 60mm on top of the stock NB heatsink before upgrading to the Iceberq. Just used some super glue, but I'm sure some double-sided tape or other epoxy would work fine as long as it doesn't bleed onto the chip.

It's only marginally effective without changing the thermal compound though, IMO.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th May, 2003, 05:55 PM

The 3+ uses a much better cooler then previous boards so a fan may help more than you think.

I would use double sided tap to stick a 40mm fan to the heatsink and power it from the case fan header at the top of the board.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 27th May, 2003, 06:02 PM

I noticed the heatsink on the NB looked a lot bigger, and southbridge actually has one! The stock fan on 8rda+ leaves much to be desired...
Old 27th May, 2003, 06:18 PM

Cool deal thanks for the info guys.. I'm assuming I'd use it like I would a processor fan and have it blowing directly on the nb/sb? I plan on ordering some stuff from 2cooltek.com and hopefully they have everything I need

Guess I'm going to have to stick to sunon as I don't see any other 40mm's for sale..

Last edited by Nate-X; 27th May, 2003 at 06:26 PM.
Old 27th May, 2003, 06:35 PM

Yep just have it blowing straight down on the heatsink/chip. A 60mm will probably be great on your northbridge if your limited by choices on the 40mm. 60mm might be a tighter squeeze on the southbridge though, especially if you have a big GFX card. Good luck, hope it helps out!

Sunon makes nice fans though, no worries there
Old 27th May, 2003, 06:41 PM

I don't mind if I have to go with a bigger 60mm fan.. I was wondering if that would be wider than the actual heatsink though since I don't have the board atm.. hehe they should be available in the next week here in the US or so hopefully Would I do the same thing with a 60mm as I would with a 40mm or would that require a 'converter' like some heatsinks require with larger than 80mm fans?

Last edited by Nate-X; 27th May, 2003 at 07:01 PM.
Old 27th May, 2003, 06:46 PM

No need for a converter, just stick it on there. By the looks of that pic, there will probably be some overhang with a 60mm, but atleast on my 8rda+ it didn't get in the way of anything else.
Old 27th May, 2003, 07:02 PM

Cool thanks for the info.. I'm currently looking at..

http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/24/266.htm?497
http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/28/257.htm?497

Wonder how loud those mofos are..
Old 27th May, 2003, 07:52 PM

Dang, those pieces are definitely going to be loud! 50CFM on a 60mm fan? Wow. Delta knows how to move the air that's for sure... better order some earplugs with those bad boys though

Then again, once you've listened to them for a few weeks you might just get used to the noise. My SmartFan II at full blast sounds totally relaxing to me ...
Old 27th May, 2003, 08:18 PM

Heheh the fan on my processor is over 50dba and I have a few other fans in it so I'm used to the sound by now.. actually I have one of those loud metal floor fans in my room.. I can't stand going to bed when it's quiet anymore If I have to, i'm sure I can get some sheets of that sound dampener foam but that won't help much with airflow me thinks.. :P

How much air does the smart fan push? and who makes em? ah i guess from the abbreviation its a themaltake?

Also, does the southbridge get nearly as hot? If not I'll go for a lower end fan for that..

Last edited by Nate-X; 27th May, 2003 at 08:29 PM.
Old 27th May, 2003, 08:53 PM

I think you would be fine with a lower CFM fan on the southbridge. It does get hot, but not nearly as warm as the NB chip. At least on my board anyway, EPoX could surprise us with the 8rda3+ but I doubt it'll be all that different.

The TT (yes, Thermaltake) moves about 75CFM air in a 80mm unit. I dunno, I really don't think it's loud, but before I got it I heard all these people complaining about bleeding ears and restless sleep lol...

I can't sleep without my computer humming in the next room either, I've gotten so used to it it's almost eerie with all my comps off!
Old 27th May, 2003, 10:20 PM

Do you think it would be a drastic change in temp between the two fans I linked above.. one pushes about 40cfm of air while the delta gets a smidge over 50.. is there such a thing as too much air? meaning once it's cooled a certain amount no extra amount of air will offer any benefit?
Old 27th May, 2003, 10:59 PM

Well, I'm not sure if you can ever have too much airflow, unless it's at extremely high CFM of flow. There will probably be a point where your chip doesn't really benefit from any additional cooling like you said, but considering you have no plans on changing the thermal compound or replacing the stock heatsink, I'd go for every CFM I could get. Assuming you'll be OC'ing that board and all..

Oh, and I don't think the difference between those two would be HUGE, but another 10CFM is certainly a difference. If you can take the noise, get the high CFM
Old 27th May, 2003, 11:27 PM

Heheh.. ya the noise of a loud fan isn't too bad even when its right in my bedroom.. lol surprised my wife doesn't throw it out the window but we always go to bed with one of those loud floor fans so I doubt it'd even phase us

One thing though.. I noticed that delta only comes with a 3 pin connector.. where would I get an adapter to hook it directly to the psu? I looked on the 2cooltek site but didn't see em and are the sb and nb heatsinks both around the same size? meaning should a 60mm fan work on the sb as well or should I go for a 40.. even though the 40s I saw were pretty weak this was the best 40mm fan available http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/26/144.htm?497 and only 8.5cfm eww..

Last edited by Nate-X; 27th May, 2003 at 11:32 PM.
Old 28th May, 2003, 01:39 AM

Hehe, well let's hope you never move somewhere without a huge fan in the floor! Or if you do, you can always sneak in and install some rickety fan somewhere just to be safe

Personally I wouldn't be too concerned about some huge fan for the southbridge, I think with adequate case cooling even a heatsink will probably do. If you want to be totally sure, an 8-9CFM fan will be OK. If you're really, really serious about cooling your southbridge you could get this monster:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/delfub.html

But this will probably do:

http://www.directron.com/kd1204pkb1.html

I found some 3-4 pin adapters at Directron too:

http://www.directron.com/3to4adapter.html

On my 8rda+ the NB/SB are basically the same size, but when I have my GF4 installed there is definitely no room for anything over a 40mm there, if that. And it would be a tight squeeze.
Old 28th May, 2003, 02:34 AM

Ahh great Thanks a lot for the links.. should be ordering my stuff in a week or so, so getting prepared Doh! The fan isn't actually in the floor lol.. I guess I misword things quite a bit.. it's one of those huge all metal fans that you put on the floor
Old 28th May, 2003, 04:13 AM

Ahaha, okay I gotcha now. I pictured one of those grated vents for the heating system clanking away every night (perhaps, because I used to have one )... Well then it's no problem, just don't buy a new quieter fan!

Good luck with the order, hope everything goes well