AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st May, 2003, 07:04 PM

inner Fan Power

Hello everyone

I have bought a new case with 3 funs build in.
2 of them takes the air out and one suck the air in.

My problem is: to where should I attach them so they will get power?

My board is Albatron 865PE PRO II. It has 3 fan power connectors.
one - for the CPU fan
second - for Memory Controller Hub.
third - for Fan.

My PSU is tsunami 350w very basic and it does not have any fan power cable.

So, how do I connect the other 2 fans, do I need to buy a special monitor pannel that has power connectors, or a power cord splitter that attached to the regular power supply cable and also has extention to the fan ? After all I have 2 fans with no power supply.

Help AND thanks
Old 31st May, 2003, 07:21 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA's Forums, snag!

Have a gander at www.2cooltek.com , they have splitters/extensions for 4-Pin "Molex" power connectors. Other etailer's sell them too.

Fans that move more than 27 cfm shouldn't be connected to a motherboard's 3-Pin fan risers, IMHO. There are adapters that let you connect fans with 3-Pin plugs to the main power "daisy chain" from the power supply, and also the rpm wire to the mainboard's 3-Pin risers. Then you have the best of both worlds, you're not overloading the 3-Pin fan risers, and you still have fan rpm info.

Last edited by cloasters; 1st June, 2003 at 07:49 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st May, 2003, 08:00 PM

Id go with cloasters suggestions, either buy an adaptor to add the third fan to a molex connector, or if you have a spare male molex plug you can solder this to your fan and plug it straight into your PSU.

If your running large numbers of fans then you might want to make or buy a fanbus to let you controll the speed of your fans and also keep your wiring neater.

This is quite a popular product.
http://www.vantecusa.com/nxp101.html

You can also make your own, read the guides at www.bit-tech.net

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st May, 2003, 09:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to Not Slim

Speaking as an owner of the Nexus the only problem is that you are limited to the amount of fans you can control from it.

Don't get me wrong, i personally love it, however if you want full control over the fans in your case you are better off with a fanbus/rheobus.

Cheers
8RGA+, Barton 2500 @ 215x10.5 (for the time being), Sapphire 9700 pro @ 405x660, 2X256MB Twinmoss w/Winbond @ 3,2,2,2, Antec True Control 550W, Alpha Pal8045 with one seriously LOUD Vantec Fan, Lian Li PC60 USB with another couple of Vantec Tornado's and other assorted bits.