AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th September, 2001, 01:43 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

watercooling

can u explain to me everything i need to know about this because i am kinda like a newb
XP 1800+
[color]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th September, 2001, 01:55 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phil

well you have a water block/jacket that goes on the cpu much like a heatsink, these are usually made from copper with that being the best for price/performance, this has the water pumped through it which cools it in a similar manner to the air being blown on the fins of a heatsink. The water is pumped by a pump obviously, with this you need to make sure it can lift the water the necessarry hight above the source and that it can pump enough water a minute. Those two components and the tubing comprise the basics, on top of them you should also have a radiator for cooling the water after it's been through the waterblock, some people use car heater cores for these as they are usually cheaper and better quality than water cooling specific radiators and can be picked up from most scrap yards, this will need a fan on to help cool the water. Many people also have a resevior, this allows you to make sure there is sufficient water in the system and add things like water wetter or anti freeze for anti corrosion purposes.
Have a read of the water cooling guides over at www.overclockers.com as they are very comprehensive.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th September, 2001, 05:36 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Pip forgot to mention one thing.

Bongs! No not that kind of bong. Bong meaning an evaporative cooling tower like what nuclear power plants use. There should be some articles on the website Pip linked to . . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 26th September, 2001, 06:09 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Pip forgot to mention one thing.

Bongs! No not that kind of bong. Bong meaning an evaporative cooling tower like what nuclear power plants use. There should be some articles on the website Pip linked to . . . .
is it hard i mean i might do it actually
XP 1800+
[color]
Old 26th September, 2001, 06:28 AM
AOA Staff

na, its easy, just make sure you do enough research to feel confident before you try it!, I know a couple gals that build their own W/C sytems, so I know you can do it!
Old 27th September, 2001, 12:23 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phil

I suggested the bong cooling to him over icq but I don't think he wants to do that right now, it's always an option for the future though, thats the great thing about watercooling is it's so versatile and you can always improve it somehow.

Old 27th September, 2001, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by surlyjoe
na, its easy, just make sure you do enough research to feel confident before you try it!, I know a couple gals that build their own W/C sytems, so I know you can do it!
I'm not so sure Spode would appreciate you calling him a gal! But yes it is just that easy!

AOA Team fah
Old 30th September, 2001, 09:10 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Betty Send a message via MSN to Betty

One day soon I will be venturing into watercooling....
I understand the basics...will be doing standard rad cooling...no bongs for me...too much maintenance from what I have read and been told...and I don't have much time for a high maintenance system...
It will be an adventerous learning experience!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Boy, What a ride!!
Old 30th September, 2001, 09:36 AM

I'm sure you will have no troubles Betty, it is very simple for the most part. As you know, plumb it all, and fill it, and you should be pretty much good to go. Sometimes air will get trapped in the system somewere, but is easily fixed by shacking the living snot out of the component which contains the air. You should ask Glen if he has an old heatercore kicking around, they are about the best radiator for CPU watercooling, they can be a bit dirty, but a little TLC will have them clean in no time . . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 1st October, 2001, 09:17 AM

So that's what a Bong is!

I work in the power station business and have bought a few cooling towers - that's what we call the big 'uns - in my time (try 50 MW of cooling and see how cool that keeps your T'bird).

A couple of points.
(1) These guys evaporate a lot of water, which has to be continuously replenished.
(2) The water has to go somewhere and it's up in the air! One of the problems on power plant is called "plume" and it occurs where you raise the relative humidity of the warm air leaving the cooler to over 100%, resulting in what's basically a permanent cloud coming out of the top of your cooler.
(3) All this evaporation gives rise to another problem - the salts that are naturally present in the water (assuming its not demineralised water you are using for top-up) gradually concentrate in the system (when water evaporates it leaves its salt "load" behind). To counter this we have to continuously drain a small portion of the flow around the system (between 2% & 5%)- normally called "blowdown".

So - what's the score with bongs for OC? Do you put them indoors or outside? How do you deal with the continuous water loss during operation? What about the buildup of salts in the system - do you continuously blow down to drain or do you have to empty the system & refill every now and then?
Old 2nd October, 2001, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by irsquirt
So - what's the score with bongs for OC? Do you put them indoors or outside? How do you deal with the continuous water loss during operation? What about the buildup of salts in the system - do you continuously blow down to drain or do you have to empty the system & refill every now and then?
Most often people put the bong indoors, but with michigan winters maybe I should build one for the out of doors

People just keep adding water to the bong, a little every day, to keep it full.

Most people with bongs are using demineralized water, so salt and calcium buildups are not a problem.

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd October, 2001, 09:23 AM

Are there ever any probs with the amount of water evaporated by the bong (steamed up windows etc)?

How much water does it take?
Old 15th October, 2001, 06:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

there are lots of variables. Like if you live in a humid place, the bong won't work too well.