AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th June, 2003, 01:12 AM

Fridge to CPU cooler ???

I was rumaging in the old store room at work and came across a smirnoff vodka chiller that has hardly ever been used, its fully working and operates quite silently, Now I was going to go get some water cooling set up but I've a feeling with alot of work and a little determination, I may be able to put this to some use.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lee.nagle/smirnfr.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lee.nagle/smirnfr2.jpg

Any Ideas and/or suggestions will be appreciated.

ABIT AN7 2500xp-m @ 2.8ghz (H20-220 WC) , 1GB Twinmos PC3200, Radeon 9800pro(XT flashed)

Last edited by MiGGinZ; 25th June, 2003 at 04:06 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th June, 2003, 02:42 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiGGinZ
I was rumaging in the old store room at work and came across a smirnoff vodka chiller that has never been used, its fully working and operates quite silently, Now I was going to go get some water cooling set up but I've a feeling with alot of work and a little determination, I may be able to put this to some use.

For sure, keep us posted on your progress!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th June, 2003, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I was rumaging in the old store room at work and came across a smirnoff vodka chiller that has never been used, its fully working and operates quite silently, Now I was going to go get some water cooling set up but I've a feeling with alot of work and a little determination, I may be able to put this to some use.

Are you planning to create your own vapour phase change system with this?

Craig
Old 24th June, 2003, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCW
Are you planning to create your own vapour phase change system with this?

Craig
that what I was thinking, all it is is a ccompressor and cold plate at the bottom, I also got a nice roll of insulation tubing and some neoprene tape that they use to cover the beer lines to prevent condensation and keep them cool.

Im off all week next week so after i've read up on some fridge stuff im gonna start.

ABIT AN7 2500xp-m @ 2.8ghz (H20-220 WC) , 1GB Twinmos PC3200, Radeon 9800pro(XT flashed)

Old 24th June, 2003, 01:56 PM

Quote:
that what I was thinking, all it is is a ccompressor and cold plate at the bottom, I also got a nice roll of insulation tubing and some neoprene tape that they use to cover the beer lines to prevent condensation and keep them cool.

Im off all week next week so after i've read up on some fridge stuff im gonna start.
You probably know this but this stuff is very dangerous. I dont know what kind of experience you have with this but I would recommend you visit a phase chnage only forum, look out for a guy called Bowman1964 who has made mnay of his own Phase Change rigs.

Hope this helps,
Craig
Old 24th June, 2003, 02:08 PM

yeah thats why im reading ALOT first and getting all precautions and everything noted, dont want to freon myself to death.

Old 24th June, 2003, 02:41 PM

Quote:
yeah thats why im reading ALOT first and getting all precautions and everything noted, dont want to freon myself to death.
definetly not! ive been trying to get some "work experince" mending fridges so i can learn, compressors can be real dangerous.

Craig
Old 24th June, 2003, 03:31 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCW
definetly not! ive been trying to get some "work experince" mending fridges so i can learn, compressors can be real dangerous.

Craig
like most anything else, knowledge is key. Its possible for newbs to dable in phase change, but be prepared to invest in some tools and read a boatload before you get started, as it can be dangerous if you dont know the ropes. heres a good starter linkage.

http://oberon.ark.com/~airekool/rb1.htm

my first experience was hands on with a bar fridge, and I've done a couple since then each a little more involved than the previous

and if you havent found it yet, www.phase-change.com is where all the gassers hang out

Last edited by surlyjoe; 24th June, 2003 at 03:35 PM.
Old 24th June, 2003, 04:22 PM

cheers for this, found the forum but that website kicked in the basics, got a lot to do before I start, got my uncle to help too he's a refridgeration technician and repairs those big walk in ones you get in restaurants so Im getting there slowly.

Old 24th June, 2003, 04:40 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
cheers for this, found the forum but that website kicked in the basics, got a lot to do before I start, got my uncle to help too he's a refridgeration technician and repairs those big walk in ones you get in restaurants so Im getting there slowly.
milk your uncle for all he's worth! , having somone in the trade to learn from is awesome!