AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd July, 2003, 03:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to barneygumble742 Send a message via Yahoo to barneygumble742

Question chassis fan monitoring

hi,

i have a tiny chassis fan that's hooked up to the mobo for power. when i downloaded some programs to monitor that fan speed, many of them did not recognize the fan being there.

it has 3 wires running to it from the mobo. red, black, and yellow. i figured the red for power, black for ground, and yellow for monitoring.

what program should i use or try that will show me my fan speed? all along i thought there was absolutely NO way to do that but then i just ran sandra and i was surprised to see it there. the speed was around 1500 rpm and at first i thought there might be something wrong with it. so i took the fan and held it in my hand, stopped it from running, still connected, and refreshed sandra and it said something like 800 rpm. and let go and then refreshed again and it went up to 2000 rpm. and thats when i know that there has to be a way for real time monitoring.

thanks,
barneygumble742
Old 24th July, 2003, 06:32 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneygumble742
hi,

i have a tiny chassis fan that's hooked up to the mobo for power. when i downloaded some programs to monitor that fan speed, many of them did not recognize the fan being there.

it has 3 wires running to it from the mobo. red, black, and yellow. i figured the red for power, black for ground, and yellow for monitoring.

what program should i use or try that will show me my fan speed? all along i thought there was absolutely NO way to do that but then i just ran sandra and i was surprised to see it there. the speed was around 1500 rpm and at first i thought there might be something wrong with it. so i took the fan and held it in my hand, stopped it from running, still connected, and refreshed sandra and it said something like 800 rpm. and let go and then refreshed again and it went up to 2000 rpm. and thats when i know that there has to be a way for real time monitoring.

thanks,
barneygumble742
Weyell.. the sensors built in to mainboards can be wildly inaccurate. Monitoring software can be far off the mark, too. In concert they're not Mil-Spec, putting it mildly. It's probably a good idea to distrust everything that the on-board sensors report, as well as the info that M'board Monitor and software supplied by the mainboard's manufacturer provide.

If knowing what rpm your fans are cranking at is crucial, a fan-bus is probably the way to go. Oops, left out the "Ka-ching."