AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

View Poll Results: Air or watercooling for my setup?
Stick with what I have? 3 27.27%
Upgrade & spend a fortune on watercooling? 8 72.73%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 7th August, 2003, 03:58 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Which sensor's which? Your original explanation stated you had 3 probes: one on your HD, one at the back of the case and one by the CPU core/die/whatever you want to call it.

Is this in fact the order
Sensor 1 = CPU core/die
Sensor 2 = case back
Sensor 3 = hard drive casing.

My logic in assuming this is this: your CPU will always be the hottest thing in the case. Your HD WILL be hotter than the room. Your under-chip thermistor is not reported on this readout. If I have the wrong sensor assigned to the wrong component, then let me know.

Based on that assumption, then the temperature delta of your CPU compared to ambient is in fact the average of Sensor 2's reading subtracted from Sensor 1's reading. Which is 30ÂșC.

However, if you've got a room temperature monitored by sensor 3, then I'm very interested to find out just what's being monitored by sensor 2. It would seem to be below ambient temperature... your beer perhaps?

EDIT!!!: Very embarrassing, I got my 2s and 3s mixed up. It should now make sense

Last edited by Kaitain; 7th August, 2003 at 04:38 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th August, 2003, 06:01 PM

battle someone else my friend.. this is quite old..
Old 7th August, 2003, 08:10 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Phiphen, I really believe that Kaitain is only trying to help you better understand what your senors are telling you. K's background is scientific and therefore tends to be objective and precise.

The simple truth is that he's trying to make sense of your data so that you might better understand. Not fighting you, but trying to help you to the next level.

It's obvious that you've put in a good deal of time money and effort into your setup. Kaitain is only trying to help you make the most of your data.

K. is all about trying to understand and helping others to do so as well.

It's my view that K sees., as many reading this, no doubt see as well, that your trying to understand. Trust K. a bit longer, just this once... and see if he can show you something new; as he has helped and aided me and this forums members so many times in the past.

This takes a special kind of effort. One that is humble and keen to learn. But also one that can trust a bit and does not care WHO is right...only WHAT is right and true.

Best wishes! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 7th August, 2003 at 08:19 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th August, 2003, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul99
where my pc pic's for BUMPAGE!!!! damn.
Please post, please Sounds like quite a convoluted loop, although your initial results sound impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiphen
battle someone else my friend.. this is quite old..
Battle? No, your system's intruiging me. So which sensor was which, then? This is gonna bug me for ages now
Old 8th August, 2003, 10:09 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Soul99

I'll have to get onto NTL today and get my FTP space details, i also need to get my mate to bring his digital camera round, i'll see if he can do it tonight, my rig deserves documenting >
AOA Team fah
Old 8th August, 2003, 07:18 PM

bah.. I gave my data... I got nothing but b.s. and resent... as if I understand this world less than some... 1=underneith chip 2=not sure/possible delta 3=ambient temp... =(
Old 8th August, 2003, 07:58 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

NO ONE gave you any B.S.
We have done our best to make our good intentions clear. Members have asked for hard data to enable them to understand what's going on with your system.

They did so in order to help you. Understand that much and you will find a way to properly understand and use the help they have to offered.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 8th August, 2003 at 08:54 PM.
Old 9th August, 2003, 11:16 AM

ya.. kinda looks like that... sorry folks.. I misread kai's FIRST response to my 'claims'... sounds like good intension that I took the wrong way.. and made a fool of myself =(... gj kaitain sorry for the disrespect....

I doubt I have ANYTHING that's calibrated.. I knew that coming into this board... I didn't realise he said that... how lame is that.. I misinformed myself AND ended up TOTALLY agreeing with kai...
Old 9th August, 2003, 06:23 PM

If it makes you feel any better, I got lost half-way through as well! And I started this thread. My head hurts!

ANYWAY..... Going back to the ORIGINAL question, any more thoughts about it???

Blackmyst

EPOX 8RDA3+ rev1.1, 3526 bios, vantec iceberg (nb), zalman gold (sb), heatsinks/fan (mosfets)
XP1800+ slk900 w/92mm vantec tornado, 11 x 215mhz, 1.85v
TWINMOS PC3200 ch-5 winbond, 2x256mb, dc-sync, 8,3,3,2.0, 2.63v
RADEON 9800 PRO 128mb, 380/680
WD RAPTORS 2x36gb, sata raid0
CHEIFTEC CASE enermax 550w
XP HOME sp1, nforce v3.13, catalyst v4.3
3DMARK2001se 18120

Old 9th August, 2003, 07:25 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
ya.. kinda looks like that... sorry folks.. I misread kai's FIRST response to my 'claims'... sounds like good intension that I took the wrong way.. and made a fool of myself =(... gj kaitain sorry for the disrespect....

I doubt I have ANYTHING that's calibrated.. I knew that coming into this board... I didn't realise he said that... how lame is that.. I misinformed myself AND ended up TOTALLY agreeing with kai...
If I only had a penny for every time I mistook an offer to help by another for a confrontation!! ":O}

Think of AOA as a new neighborhood, you'll get turned around a few times before you get the lay of the land. But your new neighbors are friendly and glad to see a new face!!

Be well phiphen!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 9th August, 2003 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10th August, 2003, 02:42 PM

Quote:
1=underneith chip 2=not sure/possible delta 3=ambient temp... =(
Sensor 3's ambient temp? Forgive me for keeping on about this, but where sensor 2's reading only about 20C, I can't help wondering what it's reading. I would normally expect the lowest temperature to be ambient, unless you've got a heat-pumped system (peltier or fridge). Or has this already been noticed and commented on? I've lost the plot for today...

Quote:

Hehe, apologies in return - my query was written in a less than elegant way, I'll admit; I'm not at all surprised you got annoyed by it. Anyway, done and dusted. Who's for a ?
Old 10th August, 2003, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmyst
If it makes you feel any better, I got lost half-way through as well! And I started this thread. My head hurts!

ANYWAY..... Going back to the ORIGINAL question, any more thoughts about it???

Blackmyst
Go for the system you originally specified as a starter. We can help you optimise it later
Old 16th August, 2003, 02:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to prat Send a message via Yahoo to prat

Back to the original question? Get the system you specified. Personally, I like the quality of Dangerden's stuff (it's really quite good, I use a Maze-4 myself). The only drawback is that I somehow (word to the wise: DO NOT start adding coolant to your system at 3:30 a.m.) managed to mix my coolant in our Kool-Aid pitcher, and then spill half of it on my carpet. Great, huh?
Old 16th August, 2003, 04:50 AM

lol.. that sounds like me.. tinkering in the middle of the night.. THEN make a HUGE mistake.. and regret it after a mournings sleep..
OCZ Mini flower'd heatsinks mosfets/vreg.
Old 17th August, 2003, 01:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to prat Send a message via Yahoo to prat

Quote:
lol.. that sounds like me.. tinkering in the middle of the night.. THEN make a HUGE mistake.. and regret it after a mournings sleep..
Sometimes I wake up with a development kernel installed, and I can't remember how it got there.

Tags
epox , water cooling