AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th December, 2001, 08:18 PM
Banned

Cooling modification advice needed

It's no big deal, but my case temps are inhibiting my cooling right now. While my living room may be around 26-27C year-round, my case under full load is 30-32C and cpu 40-42C. I've been toying with the notion of adding a blow hole on the top, or directly under the exhaust on the back beneath my current exhaust fan/hole... I have only one intake on the lower front and only have that one option for intake (which should suffice I'd think).

I have some extra 80MM 30CFM sunon fans laying around... I don't want to have to add them all, I like to hear myself think, so what would be the best mod -- blow hole on top (I think would be most effective but most time consuming with a standard dremel) or adding a hole beneath the rear exhaust??

I'm also not sure the dremel will 'cut-it' (pun intended ) when trying to create a hole with my current attachments...

Any and all feedback welcome. Sorry, no digital camera.
Old 25th December, 2001, 12:49 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

I think blow hole is best bet, as to the dremel not holding up, try drilling a load of closely spaced holes then connecting with the cutting wheel, then smoothing edges with sanding drum

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th December, 2001, 02:02 AM

Choose the placement of fan by feeling case with your hand.The place where heat is trapped will be where you want to put exhaust fan/blowhole.Does your ps have one or two fans?Enermax has a ps with intake fan toward cpu to pull heat away from hsf.This might be a mod to try if your ps has room .
Old 25th December, 2001, 05:12 AM
Banned

I just realized I posted this in the wrong place !!

Daniel, feel free to move it

Thanks for the responses thus far... I have a generic 250W power supply with crap for exhaust/cooling, may look to upgrade this soon and maybe replace the stock fan with something stronger...
Old 31st December, 2001, 05:31 AM
New Member/OES

Send a message via AIM to Bender

Hey pinky I highly reccomend investing in a hole saw for your drill to make those professional looking modded cases. A dremel is great to smooth out the edges and you can use some nice fan grills to top it all off.

The Project ProjectSimon.com And BizOng.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st December, 2001, 10:44 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

hey pink, have one just under your rear exhust. But have that one blowing in. This should give you max cooling.

Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 31st December, 2001, 03:28 PM
Banned

I'm learning something valuable the past 2 days...

Temps outside dropped. I have a door to a porch/balcony off my living room. I opened the door a crack the other night cause the heat was set too high and noticed my case temps (and CPU temps) dropped 10C but my living room was still warm. Turn out the cold air rolls over the hardwood floors very well and makes it all the way to the case (since it's actually creating a current towards it with the intake fan).

So I'm doing a burn in right now at full voltage with 25C full load temps at 800mhz (about 17C cooler than I normally run). Case is at 21C.

As for cooling mods, my main issue has been the temperature of the room, not the case dynamics. I took the suggestion and felt around the sides of the case for "warm spots"... there were none. Could not find any with my infrared thermal sensor either...

Conclusion, my room temps are just too high, so open the door
Old 31st December, 2001, 07:20 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

ya know what's cool, you figured it out and your smart enough to figure it out.

Hell I know doctors that don't have half your commen sence.

Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 31st December, 2001, 08:53 PM
Banned

Thanks Robbie .

That's actually a very nice thing to say.

But common sense would not make me a good doctor , and it doesn't pay me more at work ...