AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th August, 2003, 02:44 AM

Send a message via ICQ to BrianW

Electrical Question (Fan Control related)

Hello,

I want to ask the electrrical masters a quick question:

I have 2 - 24v dc 1 amp 24 watt fans. First off, I want to know if I can power these with 12volts. If so, what would it do to it's performance? Would It be using anyless wattage? Would I be able to throttle them even lower than 12volts?

Second question: The 12volt version of the above fan has the same specs, save the voltage rating. What are my options, besides PWM, to vary the speed of the fans? I want to control them both with one knob and/or switch.

Thanks in advance,

BrianW

Flow: Res, Pump, CPU watervlock, Y into both rads, both rads into res independently.

Athlon XP 1800+ (@ 1731 - 150mhz fsb.), on a Asus A7N266-c, and a Radeon 9000 *waiting for RMA'd Saphire 9800 ultra from Newegg)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th August, 2003, 05:21 AM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
Hello,

I want to ask the electrrical masters a quick question:

I have 2 - 24v dc 1 amp 24 watt fans. First off, I want to know if I can power these with 12volts. If so, what would it do to it's performance? Would It be using anyless wattage? Would I be able to throttle them even lower than 12volts?

Second question: The 12volt version of the above fan has the same specs, save the voltage rating. What are my options, besides PWM, to vary the speed of the fans? I want to control them both with one knob and/or switch.

Thanks in advance,

BrianW
1amp is a good amount, they may not run at 12v, only way is to try them and see
Old 13th August, 2003, 09:31 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Are these things fans or blowers? 24W is a pretty high operating power for a fan. The 24watt specification only applies when the fan is operating at 24V. They should still operate at 12V, but you may find they don't move much air. You shouldn't do any damage operating them at 12V however. You should be able to throttle them lower, but they might not start turning from standstill on a lower voltage.

For speed control there's two three basic options.

1) Open loop PWM
Sounds like you already know about this! It can control more than one fan.

2) Closed loop PWM
It's a varient where the PWM controller will automatically vary the PWM cycle to keep the fan at a near constant RPM. Best suited to controlling one fan at a time unless the fans are closely matched.

3) Linear voltage controller
This works by dropping the voltage supplied to a fan. The downsides are that the controller gets hot, and the fans may not start at a low voltage.