AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th August, 2003, 05:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to no1

h20? vapor?

ok i haev ben doin A LOT of reaserch on water cooling and i relized my room is hot my computer is too even if i get water cooling it is still gonna be hot it my be cooler but not significant enough to over clock to the extreme.... so i whent on a hunt for alternitve means.... and i came across the holy grail of cooling VAPOR COOLING dun dun DUUUUNNNNN ...... so i looked and there were realy only 2 options on buy both were expensive one realy expensive the other jsut expensive now i am shooting for the vapochill the less expensive one i dotn know a whole lot about vapor cooling and would like to learn more it is hard to find stuff about it cuz it is not very widly used any info would be much apreciated.... and a diy site would be great(keep down the cost)

thx all
Old 25th August, 2003, 07:36 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

A Carnot engine (IE, the same sort of heat pump that powers cryogenic coolers, aircon, freezers and fridges) can move massive amounts of heat compared to peltier devices.

The principle of these systems is just basic physics. Squeeze (IE, compress) a gas, and it's temperature and pressure go up. Cool a highly compressed gas, and it turns into a liquid. Take said liquid and reduce the pressure, and it turns back into a gas.

What happens in a system is a little like the following

A compressor pulls in gas into it's intake, and squashes it hard. The highly compressed gas is pumped into a bunch of tubing (the condensor), where the gas is cooled. The gas condenses inside the tubing into a liquid, which runs out the bottom of the tubing. There, the liquid meets a pressure control valve (the expansion valve), which allows the liquid through to the next stage. Once through the expansion valve, the liquid runs into the evaporator, where the pressure is much lower. This is because the compressor is sucking gas from the evaporator! The liquid boils, and as it does so, takes energy (IE heat) from it's surroundings. The gas then runs back into the compressor where it goes through the whole process again.

However, things like gas pressure, refridgerent type and lubrication are all highly important. Hence, you need to ensure that the parts you pick up will be compatible with the refridgerent (IE, gas) and lubricating oil that you will be using.

A vacuum pump (to remove air from the system, and to help check for leaks), and a set of pressure gauges are also invaluable - You can't setup a system properly without them!

If you build your own system, you also need to calcuate various things (like the length of tubing for the condensor and evaporator) for the system to work properly.

By comparison, attempting DIY watercooling is much easier than what you're looking at now! DIY phase change is possible, but requires much more in terms of calculations and know-how than DIY watercooling does. Get something simple (like the amount of gas to use in the system) wrong, and you can easily kill the phase change system.

Sites such as Phase Change have more information.
Old 25th August, 2003, 11:49 AM

See you're learning already . If you want to take the phase change cooling route I would highly recomend buying a Vapochill or better yet a Prometia mach1 unless you have some HVAC experience. They have some good stuff here too:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/forumd...?s=&forumid=72
Happy learning.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th August, 2003, 10:12 PM

Hey No 1:
Why not use a mini fridge as your external box? That's my next move. It would be alot cheaper and easier for you to do. You can get one for $50/$70.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th August, 2003, 11:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Soul99

a mini fridge wouldnt be able to cope with the constant 80w of heat, i know using the compressor to chill the water now is a differnet way.
AOA Team fah
Old 26th August, 2003, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul99
a mini fridge wouldnt be able to cope with the constant 80w of heat, i know using the compressor to chill the water now is a differnet way.
Yeah I should have specified that.