AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st September, 2003, 11:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Soul99

My Tec/Water/Freon Cooling Setup Revealed.

Hi peeps, finaly got some piccys of my current pc and cooling setup.

I've had the delta screamers and i've had the watercooling for a while and it was time for something more
I wanted power and silence so i went all out and got a pelt, a fridge for £5 at the dump and a whole load of copper tubing and set about creating my freak of a cooling setup.

I'll start at the heat source, Xp2500 at 2388mhz 1.78v 4c CPU temp 20c case temp after being on all evening, altho my temps are fine and i could put more voltage through my chip to obtain a higher speed i do not think the extra 50 -100 mhz will make any noticable difference to performance and i've seen too many of my own chips slowly degrade in overclocking performance to warrent the extra voltage increase. This is 24/7 prime stable speeds.

I have cooling the CPU a 226watt pelt which is powered by a beefy lab power supply that cost me £200, expencive but high current and variable voltages is nice.

The pelt is sandwiched between a copper plate and a Dangerden Maze-3 waterblock.

The water goes out though a tube and though the wall via copper pipes, I live in a converted loft so all the actual cooling and noise is the other side of the wall in the attic space thats left. It then enters a small fill res and the Ehimn 1250 pump.
The water then passes through a 120mm Chrome ExtreamIce Radiator which has a YS-Tech 135CFM 120mm fan and an airduct taking outside air directly onto the rad. This takes a large portion of the 300watt of so heat that the cpu and pelt are throwing out.

Just before it goes back to the cpu theres a nice chiller box that can cool the water to -15 is neccisary, it is however not.
It is constructed from a picnic chill box which has its interior lined with the freezer section of a fridge. in the middle of the chiller box i have about 30ft of 10mm copper tubing looped and soildiered together to form a copper pipe coil, this is where the water passes before going back to the cpu. i filled the chiller box with a anti freeze/water mix, i found that after leaving it on, say overnight, the freezer element in the chiller box was capable of freezing the entire box solid. when the heat from the cpu and pelt hits the ice it quickly melts it but then creates pools of warm water around the pipes when the water melts, belive it or not, ice is a good insulator. this is why it was important to keep the fluid a liquid to utalize its full capacity. I leave the chiller on minimum setting and right now the water temp is at 25.5c
I never leave this chiller box on and it is only on during computer use. This way all water remains at room temp or higher and eliminates allot of the condensation risk. If i want some crazy overclocking i can leave it on overnight for real chilled water.

Which brings the Water back to the CPU waterblock. Off the cpu i've measured coldside temps of -36 with a cheapo temp monitor held on with my finger, its freezes breath instantly.

The only fans I have in my pc are:
2x80mm in psu modded to 7v - silent
standard chipset fan - does the jobs but it is loud compared to everthing else.
2x80mm fans on 7v, one infront of hard drives one hehind hrd drives pointing on GFX card cooler - Zalman passive cooling a Rad 9700Pro.
I also have another 800mm fan in the back of the case i dont use or need.

Insulation is provided by dielectric grease and neophrem foam cut to size. The back side of the motherboard is covered with grease and foam to stop droplets on the back pins.

Additional cooling was added to the south bridge in the form of half of a GlobalWin FOP-38 heatsink, cut to side and a perfect fit just under the gfx card. I find that with the cpu heat being sucked away by the pelt that my case temps are the lowest i've ever seen, i have barely the need for aditional fans and the added noise they bring.

Silence and 24/7 power computing... I love it.
The summer temp in this attic are allmost unbearable at average 33c and winter time it becomes a chilbox, i've had my cooling tried and tested over the scorching summer and now its time to start reaping the benifits of the autum/winter temps. The outside air duct should do the job nicely. I predict winter Cpu temps of about -8c to -6c only time will tell

Enjoy the pics, I hope you can make it all out.

Soul99
Attached Thumbnails
My Tec/Water/Freon Cooling Setup Revealed.-picture-064.jpg   My Tec/Water/Freon Cooling Setup Revealed.-picture-065.jpg   My Tec/Water/Freon Cooling Setup Revealed.-picture-067.jpg   My Tec/Water/Freon Cooling Setup Revealed.-picture-069.jpg   My Tec/Water/Freon Cooling Setup Revealed.-picture-001.jpg  

AOA Team fah

Last edited by Soul99; 1st September, 2003 at 11:48 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st September, 2003, 11:07 PM

some more pics and one of my tarantula sunbathing on his back.
Attached Thumbnails
My Tec/Water/Freon Cooling Setup Revealed.-picture-003.jpg   My Tec/Water/Freon Cooling Setup Revealed.-picture-004.jpg   My Tec/Water/Freon Cooling Setup Revealed.-picture-063.jpg   My Tec/Water/Freon Cooling Setup Revealed.-picture-006.jpg  
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd September, 2003, 05:42 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

What an impressive system. Some people like cool. Others demand cold!
Old 8th April, 2004, 10:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to IVIoI3iuS

I hate you.

That is an awesome and completely crazy cooling strategy. Hats off to you.
512mb PC-2700 ddram (retired - replaced with Corsair Dual DDR400 (2x512mb))
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
100gb WD HDD
Emprex 4x DVD±R±RW
Thermaltake Hardcano 12
Antec TrueBlue 480 (retired - replaced with Antec 480 because it went poop)
Old 8th April, 2004, 10:07 AM
Member/Contributer

Wow thats looks quite impressive!

However, you aren't sitting ergonomucally correct there at the PC, don't you get neck pains? You need a deeper computer table so you can put the monitor right in front of you...
Old 8th April, 2004, 03:05 PM

I've allways had the monitor set off to the right it doesnt feel natural any other way, 6 + years of hardcore online gaming and i'm used to it. Just getting into that new Far Cry game, its pritty good but even my pc lag's a bit on high detail settings. roll on S939 and the athlon FX!
I might get a TFT and run dual monitors, one in front and one off to the side if i ever get the spare cash.
AOA Team fah
Old 8th April, 2004, 04:10 PM
Member/Contributer

thats nuts, but I'm cookin up my own little scheme and I'm gunna try to use pelts in an unusual way. When I begin the process this summer I'll have pics up, in the mean time very nice stuff :P gotta love those pelts!
Old 8th April, 2004, 09:06 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Thanks Soul99! You just made front page.

http://www.aoaforums.com/
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 9th April, 2004, 03:39 PM

hehe, this post is like 6 months old, how come it took so long to make the front page? >
I'm honoured. Thanx Daniel.
AOA Team fah
Old 9th April, 2004, 08:10 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Good work stands the test of time...or the pictures do! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 18th April, 2004, 06:25 AM
Metal Wizard

Well now that is quite an ingenious setup I am considering adding a pelt this year. A friend of mine suggested a chiller setup with coiled copper in it also, I see now it works quite well!! Thanks for the great pics.

WZ