AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th December, 2001, 10:42 AM

My watercooling setup

Hey yall!
I've got a Duron800@1050 1.85v.. Watercooled using a Swiftech MCW462 and no-name pump in a small junction box, holding about 750ml of water for entire system. The whole lot cost me less that 80pounds
Im using a coil of Flexible copper tubing for a radiator, sat where my bottom 3 drive bays should be, with a 120mm fan aimed to blow through the centre, im using about 3 metres of copper pipe, 10mm diameter...
I have an Evercool 29cfm fan in my PSU running at 5v instead of 12.
I never turn the 120mm fan on, so i have only an 80mm cooling the entire system (voodoo4 4500 with fan/sink swapped for socket7cooler, abit kt7raid, maxtor 20gb7200, SB live, 2x Netgear FA310 NICs) And the cpu had been at 100% load for about 2
days now... Case temp is 27, room temp is 23 and cpu is 42c.

I think thats pretty kickass myself.. for a TOTALLY SILENT system, the loudest thing is the hdd and even that is covered in foam in a small cardboard box.

Im pretty sure the temps are so low because i have an unconventional radiator and plumbing setup (remember i have approx 10cfm for the entire system!)
I have the pump outputting to a y connector, one side going to cpu and other to radiator, and i have a small valve to regulate the flow throught the radiator.. I did the because i figured that if the water was flowing slower, I'd need less airflow to cool it.. guess i was right.

Just spreading the goodness... Higher flow isnt always better!

Dogs can never have too much fun! See Marge, Weee, weee, woo! wayhey! weeeeeeeee!!! -Homer
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th December, 2001, 12:18 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

hey dave! that the same block u reviewed at spodes? how do you rate it compared to the DD designs? as thats what im probably gonna be getting for my system... will probably do a review of the block myself if spode doesnt mind, i know he has a thing for water and electronics!

also u have ICQ or MSN? i have all the rest of the guys at spodesabode on one or the other, its useful to keep in contact and find out whats in the works so i dont go stealing anyones thunder!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st January, 2002, 09:34 PM

hey!
yeah i got MSN - maxpowa@hotmail.com

The block im using is similar to the one i reviewed, although this is the later revision (blue anodised)
I've never used a DangerDen block.. i was considering getting one when i bought this but they were outta stock... i cant imagine there would be much between them performance wise, just whether you prefer the sexy swivel connectors or plain barbs.
People have had trouble finding tubing for the swivel connectors - I got some from homebase DIY - 86p per metre if i recall correctly.

Dogs can never have too much fun! See Marge, Weee, weee, woo! wayhey! weeeeeeeee!!! -Homer
Old 1st January, 2002, 10:36 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

ok, thx m8, i will be using 1/2 tubing, so swiftech is a no no.

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 2nd January, 2002, 08:18 PM

The fittings on the swiftech are 5/8bsp thread (i think) sop dont count it out as you can just swap the fittings over.

Sorry if I just confused matters.

That sounds like a good system. I especially like the sound of silence.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 2nd January, 2002, 09:20 PM

well i know what they look like, they are giant sized versions of the connectors used for model gas turbine fuel lines, if they did a 1/2 diameter one, it would still be a problem as the block would need modifying to connect them

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 3rd January, 2002, 02:09 AM

You should be able to buy hoze barbs that will just screw in replacing the swiftech ones.

Have a look for a thread on www.tekforums.co.uk in the watercooling and peltiers section about swiftech moding.

Its not hard, and theres a place right down the road that sells them from me if you want some posting to you.

Old 3rd January, 2002, 01:14 PM

ill look into it! from what i read on tekheads forum, looks like DD's quality control is slipping! and the swiftech blocks just looks awesome! i might be able to use 3/8 nylon pipes, looks more professional, or could go up to 1/2 with the same connectors they use already.... ill have a word with a guy i know about the connectors, see if he can get big uns.

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 3rd January, 2002, 07:19 PM

Ive also seen several people on other forums who have bough dangerden blocks that have leaked.
Im unsure if there blocks are getting worse or if its just that there are more "inexperienced" people using them.

Id make sure I bought from somewhere that is good with RMAs to be safe.

I think 1/2" is the way to go if your building a new system.

Old 3rd January, 2002, 07:22 PM

holst, its definately DD, otherwise these inexperianced guys are putting at least 1000PSI into the blocks...... somehow i doubt that

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 3rd January, 2002, 07:51 PM

Im just very suspicous by nature.

I just re-read that thread on TEK and it does sound like the guy had two bad blocks in a row.

That would worry me as far as there reliability is concerned.

Also there was a guy a few weeks aggo who bought a Maze2-2 that had a big dent in the cold plate when he bought it. He had to lap it for ages to fix it.

Maybe there just selling too many blocks to keep up quality controll.

Old 3rd January, 2002, 07:55 PM

yeh probably right, when the SK6 became a well knows heatsink, and demand went up, quality suffered

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED