AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st January, 2002, 06:37 PM

Send a message via ICQ to kplonk

Radiator Positioning

I have 2 radiators 260 x 245 x 20 mm with 10 mm copper tube as the flow path they are 10 pass, my question is that should I mount them back to back and pull air through them both or should I mount the fans between them and pull through one and push through the other.
Old 1st January, 2002, 10:43 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

i personally would have them side by side, that way one wont be getting warm air!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd January, 2002, 11:23 AM

Yer makes sence, then pull air through them both
Old 2nd January, 2002, 09:21 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

yup thats it just takes more fans that way though

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd January, 2002, 11:09 PM

Sorry what i ment by sid by side was one in front of the other and then pull air through them both at once, you dont think this is a good idea
Old 3rd January, 2002, 07:26 PM

like this?

F|R||R|F --->

i think like this is best

|R|F-------->
|R|F-------->

|R| = radiator
F = fan

this way both rads get cold air, therefore better cooling

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 3rd January, 2002, 07:58 PM

How are you running the radiators in your system.

You should have them in paralell to get best flow rates and cooling (water moves slower)

Unless you have a chipset or GPU block then it might be better to put a radiator before each component.

Random Nonsence's prefered fan positions look loke the best, that way each rad gets fresh air.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 4th January, 2002, 12:20 AM

Ok her is the run down, i currently have a Senfu rad, but am chaing this to a set of 2 as mentions above the gain in doing this is more surface area (fins) and longer length of tube.

But i have to change the fans, i want to use a pair of YSTech 120mm 4pin fans i was thinking side by sied in a duct that expands to meet the size of the rads, the rads then mounted one after the other and conected in series, will post some pics, that was what i was thinking what do you think??
Old 4th January, 2002, 12:31 PM

to be honest thats not a good idea, if you make a duct increase in size like you are suggesting, it will slow down airflow a lot, and the faster the airflow the more effective the radiator....

the senfu radiators are a rectangular shape yeh? one above the other with 2 fans on each pulling air through would be much more efficient, especially if the rads are in parrallel in the cooling circuit, as flow rates in the rads will be half of in the rest of the circuit giving them more time to cool the water.

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 6th January, 2002, 12:15 AM

Ok yer makes sence, i see what you are saying about reducing the flow rate
Old 6th January, 2002, 03:23 AM
AOA Staff

while expanding the duct will slow the air a bit, it will still be the same volume of air (cfm) so it won't hinder the cooling, the duct idea is pretty common to most remote radiators that are a rad on one side of a small enclosure and fans on the other, the benefit being that there are no dead air spots on the rad and less resistance/noise from the fans. its also a good way to vent the exhaust out of the central case area. the drawback being that it takes room to run ducting and most cases are cramped to begin with.
Old 7th January, 2002, 12:13 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Each of those fans you listed (assuming you're going for the larger of the 120mm ys-tech fans) is more than adequate for cooling one of the radiators you've listed, so you've got a lot of room to play there.

Fans, btw, work better when pushing air, rather than pulling it. Put them on the inlet side.

I reckon your best course might be to have each radiator side-by-side. You can duct to them if you wish, but have the fans side-by-side at the duct inlet (you can then shrink the duct down to 3" tubing or what you will - the air will compress to fit with not too many losses). This is one of the rare instances when it would be better to have both fans at the duct inlet, rather than having one on the inlet and one pulling through the outlet.

A design trick that might be useful: when you expand your duct to fit the radiators, make sure you've got the same clear (wide) length of pipe as its final diameter. This gives the air chance to sort itself out and prevent it trying to jet through the middle thus missing each radiator. If you find you don't have room for this, then an alternative workaround is to place a small baffle about 1/2" past the expansion point - about the size of a uk£0.02 coin for a 3" tube is good. That should persuade the air to flow in a more helpful pattern.

Sorry if this has been a bit rambling.
Old 7th January, 2002, 11:27 PM

I see what you are saying, will have to look at the design a bit though, need to get it on paper so i can explain where things lay a little better will do that asap, i have finised the passive part of the fan speed controlers and the fan mounting barckest so will get some images up about them as i edit them, thanks for all the input so far
Old 26th January, 2002, 01:50 AM

Finly did some images, sorry took so long see what you think.

http://www.kplonk.com/cgi-bin/pagebu...=cooler&page=7
Old 26th January, 2002, 05:23 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaitain
Fans, btw, work better when pushing air, rather than pulling it.
It's nice to see for once that someone agrees with me on this particular issue !!! Also, I find it to typically be quieter to arrange the fan(s) to blow through . . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 26th January, 2002, 11:45 AM

I was playing with my new cooler box last night, changing between blowing and pulling and I think you are right, the blowing onto the rads seems to be better than the pulling only problem I have is that the water I was cooling got cooler before I switched so I think that may have interfered with the result.