AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th October, 2003, 06:16 PM

Question PC too cold?

All,

I have just purchased a nice new chieftec case and a Water chill kit, the idle temps have dropped from 38'C to 30'C and heavy load from 60'C to 40'C

However I was in a local maplins yesterday enquiring about more piping and the techie (or said techie) told me that the temps were TOO LOW and I could damage the chip, I got into a discussion with him about this and that I've seen a intel chip down to -22'c in a Vapochil case, but he said it was down the design of the chip and AMD recommend a minimum of 40'C....any ideas of what he means? I have my own ideas about this theory
Gforce 4 4600TI deluxe 128mb @ 301/703
WaterChill CPU kit CPU/CASE Idle 32'C/28'C Load 40'C/29'C
120gig 7200 2mb cache
60 gig 7200 2mb cache
3dmark2001 - 13554marks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th October, 2003, 06:49 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

I think that techie needs to put some Preperation H on his lips, because he is talking out his #$$.

Kyrotech builds AMD approved systems that run at -40 (BTW -40 is the same for celcius and ferhenhieght)

The only thing I could think of is that maybe AMD recommends a min temp of at least -40 and he forgot the -. Either that or he was just full of it. otherwise you would have to heat up your cpu above room temp befor starting your PC. And how much sense does that make?

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th November, 2003, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie_howser
All,

I have just purchased a nice new chieftec case and a Water chill kit, the idle temps have dropped from 38'C to 30'C and heavy load from 60'C to 40'C

However I was in a local maplins yesterday enquiring about more piping and the techie (or said techie) told me that the temps were TOO LOW and I could damage the chip, I got into a discussion with him about this and that I've seen a intel chip down to -22'c in a Vapochil case, but he said it was down the design of the chip and AMD recommend a minimum of 40'C....any ideas of what he means? I have my own ideas about this theory
Maplins dont even bother to train their guys. I was in my local one when there was a guy in wanting memory. The chap asked how old, type of chip etc was told "about 18 months old and a P4". He then tried to give a line that the guy had "special propriotory (sp?) memory" rather than saying it was RDRAM. I wasnt going to let it go so butted into the convo (im not usually that sort but the guy was talking SO outta his ass) and asked what the crack was (infront of the customer) he ended up saying "we dont stock it" he was basically bulling this customer into thinking he had obsolete bits rather than just saying "we dont have that". Really wasnt impressed with the guy. Also they have the NF7-S for £134!!! like DOUBLE most decent mail order prices. I know some shops ARE pricey but thats taking the piss
</rant>

Old 10th November, 2003, 05:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Soul99

AMD Barton currently at -3c and no problems, the maplins dude aint got a clue.
AOA Team fah
Old 10th November, 2003, 08:35 PM
AOA Staff

AMD's website has plenty of info on cooling, but doesn't mention anything about a minimum temperature. The cooler the better, I would have thought. Electricity works more efficiently under lower temperatures.

Possibly, a sudden and large change in temperature might cause some damage. Although, I have never seen it reported.
Old 10th November, 2003, 09:09 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

There is an eventual minimum temperature, as the thermal expansions of copper and the silica substrate are rather different. For older Al-based cores, -40 was about the lowest guaranteed temperature before some cores would tear themselves apart from the inside. Not sure for copper, and I've no mind to research it atm.