AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd November, 2003, 07:40 PM
AOA Staff

Aero 7+ and Epox board - Tip

I have fitted a Coolermaster Aero 7+ CPU cooler. I noticed a slight problem with it installed on my 8RGA+ board.

In the first pic you will notice that the fan intake is directly above the NB and graphics card heatsinks which do throw out alot of heat.

In the second photo I have unscrewed the fan and rotated it through 90 degrees, so that it has a better chance of sucking in cooler air.

Doing this has reduced my CPU temps by 1.5 degrees celsius (idle and under load). Not bad for a 2 minute job.

This isn't an issue with all mobos, it just depends on the orientation of the CPU.
Attached Thumbnails
Aero 7+ and Epox board - Tip-aero7before.jpg   Aero 7+ and Epox board - Tip-aero7after.jpg  
Old 3rd November, 2003, 08:30 PM
Member/Contributer

Good idea... so, how are your temps now??
Old 3rd November, 2003, 09:03 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
Good idea... so, how are your temps now??
Now 1.5c lower, so a definite improvement.
Old 3rd November, 2003, 10:56 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

You'll also find that the "front" of the blower, which is the hole without the motor supports on it, sucks in the majority of the air.

Additionally, I've found that any cross flow (IE, air blown across the intakes) seems to hinder the blower's operation, probably because it's upsetting the airflow internally to the cage.
Old 3rd November, 2003, 11:07 PM
AOA Staff

You're right there! Even if you place your finger near the intake you can hear it straining to draw air in.

I think a flat fan draws air from a wide area, where as this type draws in along a narrow path directly from the front of the intake. This would explain why my cpu was hotter with it pointing at that hot NB chip.
Old 3rd November, 2003, 11:26 PM

The back of the fan, where the motor lives, appears to block a significant amount of airflow - IE, blocking the back doesn't really make much difference. That's a shame, as it means only half of the blower is actually doing something!
Old 3rd November, 2003, 11:52 PM
AOA Staff

I am tempted to get some duct hose to attach to the intake and then straight out to the front of my case where the two lower external drive bays are.

Similar to this kit which draws from the top (scroll to the bottom of the page):
http://www.chill-tek.com/products/fan-grills.html
Old 4th November, 2003, 10:39 AM

Give it a go and see how well it works! As long as there's good airflow through the duct, the blower should be ok with it. What would be better would be having the blower at the front of the case, blowing the air all the way to the heatsink.

Like traditional fans, blowers work best blowing into a slight pressure increase, rather than sucking from an area of lower pressure. The blower should be able to provide enough pressure that the ducting won't make too much difference to the airflow.