AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th November, 2003, 06:51 PM

AS3 or Alumina?

Jus a quick one... best to use on a general heatsink job? Not quite sure of the differences and the artic silver site is a bit confusing with its product explantations. Alumnia wasnt quite a copy paste of the AS3 but was kinda close
Also can anyone recommend a good thermal adhesive? Im guessing something from the same folks as AS3 will be a good job but wondering
Have plans for a new card with a rather cool heatsink but looking for some extra cooling on the ram so will need stick on sinks and also for a possible south bridge passive cooler just for the hell of it
Old 11th November, 2003, 12:01 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Arctic Silver will perform ever so slightly better. But I like Arctic Alumina because it is completelt non conductive and it cost less.

For an adheasive I sugest Actic Alumina 2 part epoxy mixed 50/50 with regular arctic alumina.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th November, 2003, 11:13 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Betty Send a message via MSN to Betty

I really liked Arctic Alumina over AS3...although, AS5 is looking good.
Has anyone tried it?
http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Boy, What a ride!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st December, 2003, 06:17 AM

Hey all! Just got Arctic Silver 5 and done my burn-in tests. I really wanted to know which one was the best and I am Still happy to say that both performed equally (although I was hoping that AS5 would come out on top ).

Anyway, I know a lot of people are asking which one is best, Arctic silver 5 or Ceramique? The answer is any of them would do fine. AS5 is easier to apply (but slightly capacitive, http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm) than Ceramiue (a little bit dense) but aside from that, I'm very happy with both. Oh and Ceramique is neither electrically conductive nor capacitive (http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique.htm).

I love both and I have both
AIUHB0316MPH 27648
Thermaltake Volcano 12 (Arctic Silver Ceramique)
Vantec ICEBERQ CCB-A1C
Two Apacer 512MB PC3200
Maxtor 80GB UDMA 133 7200 rpm 2MB Buffer 6Y080L0
ViewSonic VE500
Enermax 365P-VE
Gainward GF4 4800SE 64M AGP8x
LiteOn 40x12x48x CDRW
ASUS CD-S520/A 52x
Creative Modem Blaster 56kPCI Internal DI5655
Chicony USB keyboard
A4tech MOP17 USB mouse
Old 1st December, 2003, 07:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to purplemohawkman Send a message via Yahoo to purplemohawkman

ive tried as5 and it seems to make about a 1-2 degree diff w/ my h2o so im impressed. and i like how its a lot thinker than as3
-160gig WD sata, 80gig WD SE, 60g maxtor,
-x800pro w/ Graph-O-Matic Rev2 H20 block
-logitec z5300 5.1
-Chieftec Matrix full tower w/ Antec True430
Old 11th December, 2003, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech8
Hey all! Just got Arctic Silver 5 and done my burn-in tests. I really wanted to know which one was the best and I am Still happy to say that both performed equally (although I was hoping that AS5 would come out on top ).

Anyway, I know a lot of people are asking which one is best, Arctic silver 5 or Ceramique? The answer is any of them would do fine. AS5 is easier to apply (but slightly capacitive, http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm) than Ceramiue (a little bit dense) but aside from that, I'm very happy with both. Oh and Ceramique is neither electrically conductive nor capacitive (http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique.htm).

I love both and I have both
Here's the skinny, Arctic Silver 5 is the best thermal paste currently on the market, but it requires up to 200 hours to break in and numerous thermal cycles to break it in. Jiggling the heatsink or waterblock will expedite the process but you will not see the lowest temps until the product is fully settled.

Now Arctic Silver 3 performs roughly the same as ceramique, Ceramique requires little if any time to settle, but Arctic Silver 5 is good stuff.

I have tinkered with AS-5, AS3, Thermagon-2500, Shin Etsu G-751 and Shin Etsu X23 varients recently. You should avoid both Old stock Nanotherm PCM+ and New Stock PCM+ as it has serious issues, Swiftech recently has made public that they do not recommend ANY Nanotherm products with their heatsinks or waterblocks due to PCM+ oxidation and corrosive issues.

If you want the best buy some Arctic Silver 5, but have a little patience to see optimal performance.

Also Use Arctic Silver's new method of spreading the paste if your a P4 user, Go right to step 10 here:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...structions.htm

I was skeptical at first but this method is excellent advise.

PS: In about 7 more years at the rate I'm going I should have enough posts to get into the Classifieds to check for trolls activity

P4 3.2
P4C800-E
MCX159Mrb w/10,500rpm counter-rotating fan
Xtreme Tek Werkz Typhoon waterblock
Maze4 GPU Waterblock
Pc Power & Cooling PSU
1Gig Mushin Promo build 2-2-2
9800 pro w/ silversink ramsinks
WD Raptors