AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th January, 2002, 10:33 AM
Member/Contributer

Check out this water block bracket.

I was just lookin around the O/C pages to see what's new and ran across this.

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q1...ooling-04.html

It LOOKS like a good design but I wonder how well it works in application.
----------------------------------------------

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th January, 2002, 01:12 PM
AOA Staff

thats damn nice!! looks like it is pretty much brand specific though :P
Old 6th January, 2002, 05:15 PM

The only problem that you may face with using this clamp is Cracking the CPU core or breaking the socket cleat. The pressure requires for CPU is around 12 to 24 LBs.

You'll be better off making a simple clamp like this. Even with this clamp there is a tendency of breaking the socket cleat.
Old 6th January, 2002, 08:22 PM

Send a message via ICQ to kplonk

Well may be brand specific but sure looks sweet
Old 6th January, 2002, 09:49 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

just checking u all read about the XP bending using clips and hold downs like that? need to use the 4 mounting holes aparantly :s

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th January, 2002, 05:57 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally posted by RudyNg
The only problem that you may face with using this clamp is Cracking the CPU core or breaking the socket cleat. The pressure requires for CPU is around 12 to 24 LBs.

You'll be better off making a simple clamp like this. Even with this clamp there is a tendency of breaking the socket cleat.
I had looked at that before. The only problem I have with attempting to make that design is the need for the paper clips need to be the exact same length with the exact bends. I feel that if there was some inconsistancy in eather one of these areas it may cause more pressure on one area of the core than the other. Resulting in the problems reported by Cole in his research.

I think what I'm going to go with once I get ready to build my XP 1700+ system is something like @ DangerDen. The plexiglass and posts that mount through the holes around the socket.
Attached Thumbnails
Check out this water block bracket.-amdhold_down_thumb.gif  

Old 7th January, 2002, 05:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Southern Man
I think what I'm going to go with once I get ready to build my XP 1700+ system is something like @ DangerDen. The plexiglass and posts that mount through the holes around the socket.
I think you found a winner there

With all this talk I regret not having play money for a watercooling rig now

Hell, I hardly use the MHZ I have now ...
Old 7th January, 2002, 11:32 AM

The plexi glass clamping method is constrain for use in AMD chips motherboard. If you a going for intel you'll still need clampimg from the socket cleat.
Old 8th January, 2002, 08:32 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally posted by RudyNg
The plexi glass clamping method is constrain for use in AMD chips motherboard. If you a going for intel you'll still need clamping from the socket cleat.
Intel is a dirty word in this house. Except when my stepson is here. He's a Celery Man.

I am looking at cooling for a XP 1700+ so the plexi design will work fine for me. I figure the best idea is to get all 4 top nuts to where they just get snug, mark a point on all 4 nuts and start turning them down in a torquing sequence in 1/8 turns each. The mark is to make sure each nut is turned the same amount, each tightening sequence. Maybe overkill but I feel better about trying this than most other affordable solutions.

Old 8th January, 2002, 12:09 PM

You could add springs at the top of the plexi. This way you need not worry of overtightening and cracking the core. Unless you are using shims on your Chip.
Old 8th January, 2002, 05:27 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

one thing u gotta remember, AMD specify a set pressure, now torque loading the nuts to that amoung will not be anywhere near the correct pressure, it would probably be way way over it...... i think springs that need a set load to compress are the best method

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 8th January, 2002, 05:35 PM

I've read from their data sheet. The pressure on the core is something like between 12 to 24 lbs.

If you look at the 1/4" diameter teflon stud screw, each stud could easily take 50 lbs before it breaks or the thread is damage. With 4 studs jacking onto the core it could easily crack the chip.
Old 11th January, 2002, 07:03 AM
Member/Contributer

I do like the idea of the springs. I'll need to do some research into what's available out there. I think there are some so stiff they could crack the core also. Sure don't want to use to little pressure.

Thanks for the idea guys.