AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd December, 2003, 10:10 PM

Unhappy Ehiem 1250 -rattling noise

Does anyone else have an Ehiem 1250 which rattles?

It makes a low frequency hum (i understand this is normal...) which i've silenced by putting foam under it, but in addition to this it makes a "rattling noise".

I've taken the pump apart to check for any damage but cant find anything obvios.

How can i fix this? My main system is otherwise silent and its driving me nuts!!!
Old 3rd December, 2003, 11:56 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

A rattling noise when starting up is normal, but it shouldn't continue afterwards. It's caused by the impellor's rotation synchronising up to the mains frequency. Excess air in the pump can cause this to occur.

Otherwise, try running the pump without the rest of the system on it, and see if the pump still suffers from the rattling without any load on it.
Old 3rd December, 2003, 08:24 PM

Thanks Áedán,

Unfortunately the system is air free (with the layout im using it would be very difficult to get air into the pump anyway). Running the pump with reduced load does decrease the noise produced, but not eliminate it.

The system uses 1/2" tubing (apart from 6" of 3/8" tube), and only comprises of DDmaze3 (1/2" fittings) Homemade resevoir (1/2" fittings), and a Senfu Radiator (3/8" fittings). Flow rate seems to be very high.

Would a picture / diagram of the layout help to work out the problem?
Old 8th December, 2003, 03:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Soul99

the 1250's do rattle and vibrate a bit, mine does.
I solved the problem by installing all the cooling the other side of the wall and i run piped through the wall to the pc.
I did wrap the pump in buble wrap for a time but it didnt muffle the sound much.
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th December, 2003, 05:16 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

You might find your best bet is to talk to Ehiem themselves and see what they suggest. Pumps of that design shouldn't rattle (hum/vibrate is ok though).
Old 9th December, 2003, 05:59 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Soul99

Its the hum that causes it to vibrate against the surface it sits on unless it heavily fixed or weighted down to something.
I sat mine ontop of my case once and it just hummed itself across the top and off the edge
It does have 4 mounting holes so you can attach it to something - but keep in mind that the vibrations will be transfered into that something and a PC case can amplifiy it.
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th December, 2003, 09:45 PM

Nope, its not the hum causing it to rattle. It still rattled even when i held it underwater (to test it) all that was touching the pump was my hand. Its also sitting on 3/4" of low density foam to minimise the hum.

Thanks for the advice, will get in touch with Ehiem, will also try to get a photo of the setup (when i can grab my mates digital camera...!)
Old 17th December, 2003, 07:45 AM

i think maybe there's a bubble in your system and it cousing to rattle.