AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th January, 2004, 02:54 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to raven_19702003

king copper heatsink

Heatsink
hi peeps

i need some advice i got a new heatsink and fan today (copper king +4 multi led's) and i have been told that i don't need to use any thermol grease as the heatsink has a copper base is this true, this is the first time i have ever done anything like this, and this is my first attemp at modding a pc

i don't want to go goosing my cpu and new mobo up big time on advice from someone who didn't know what they were talking about

thnx ppl
Old 5th January, 2004, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven_19702003
Heatsink
hi peeps

i need some advice i got a new heatsink and fan today (copper king +4 multi led's) and i have been told that i don't need to use any thermol grease as the heatsink has a copper base is this true, this is the first time i have ever done anything like this, and this is my first attemp at modding a pc

i don't want to go goosing my cpu and new mobo up big time on advice from someone who didn't know what they were talking about

thnx ppl
Thermal grease of some type is a must. However good the cooler is and however polished the base it IS needed.
Artic silver of some type is my personal preference. The instructions on the site give good advice on best use of thermal grease.
Basically lap (ultra fine sandpaper) the base to the best finish you can manage - unless the base is already nice and shiney.
Get some grease on a clear thin plastic surgical glove (or a food bag works in a pinch) rub this over the contact area on the cooler then wipe it away. This will leave a discoloured mark on the base (where the grease has filled in the tiny pits in the copper surface).
Get your chip seated and squirt on a little grease (think grain of rice), apply heatsink and lock it down. Try and give it a TINY twist as you seat it (this spreads the grease over the core) once done lift the cooler off and check the core is covered and makes good contact and replace -give it a little wiggle once its locked down - you should be good to go

Last edited by MercutioUK; 5th January, 2004 at 03:25 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th January, 2004, 04:22 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to raven_19702003

thnx fo the advice and the little tut (it was needed)