AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th January, 2004, 09:22 PM

Send a message via ICQ to CaesaR

Watercooling For Under 200CAD

Suggestions ? I was looking at the AquariusII system but according to www.canadacomputers.com it has been discontinued. I've look at a few systems but nothing is terribly impressive for under 200.

I might consider a DIY system but im not sure if i can make one that will work.

Suggestions ?
120gig 7200RPM 8meg Cache
ATI Radeon 9600Pro
9774 3D Marks (2001SE)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th January, 2004, 02:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to purplemohawkman Send a message via Yahoo to purplemohawkman

dont know of that many quality h2o systems for under 200, you should be able to find some aquariuses around still but i wouldnt suggest getting one, i was very disapointed w/ it, and ended up buying a high end water cooling later, but a good company is dangerden you can build a top quality system for around 200.
-160gig WD sata, 80gig WD SE, 60g maxtor,
-x800pro w/ Graph-O-Matic Rev2 H20 block
-logitec z5300 5.1
-Chieftec Matrix full tower w/ Antec True430
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th January, 2004, 03:32 PM

Send a message via ICQ to CaesaR

Thanks,

but im looking for a complete pre-packaged kit because i have no idea what im even looking for! I dont know anything about sizes or rads & pumps etc...

-pat
120gig 7200RPM 8meg Cache
ATI Radeon 9600Pro
9774 3D Marks (2001SE)
Old 8th January, 2004, 03:41 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

A water cooling setup is fairly easy to DIY. If you get the items at computer shops they are going to be expensive. If you get them from other sources they will be much cheaper.

You will need:

1 Waterblock - This should be high quality and made for the purpose of being a waterblock for a computer. This you will have to buy at a computer shop, perferibly one that speaclizes in cooling.

2 Pump - This is just an aquairium pump and most likely will be cheapest from a pet shop or online pet store. The most popular modle is the Enhim 1250. It is a very good pump and very quiet but also costly. The supreme Mag 3 is a good subsitute at about half the cost. It is slightly more powerful but is also more noisy and vibrates more. Some people have reported leaks on thier Mag 3 pumps but mine owrks fine w/o leaks. Just make sure to run your system for 24 hous befor installing it in your computer to test for leaks. If it leaks just seal then with clear silicone caulk.

3 Radiator - There are many computer built radiators out there but they can be spendy. A heatercore will often give you better results at a much cheaper price. There is a heatercore database somewhere on the net, I will try and find it and post a link. You need to see how big of a heatercore that you want then find one that fits your requirements. You can either pull one from a junkyard or you can pick one up from a local auto parts store. I think the heater core from an 85 Chevy Chevette is popular as is the core from an 85 Camero if you have the room. You should be able to fine one for less than $20

4 Fans and shroud - Fans should be 12v 120x120x38mm. 2 fans working in a push me pull me configuration are best. They can be had at computer shops or you can pick some up at an online surplus shop for a fraction of the cost. You can bolt these to the heater core simply by useong long machine screws and washers and nuts and sandwhiching them together with the heatercore inbetween. If you want a shroud to inprove eficany then you will have to build your own. I have seen them built out of cardboard or old tupperware containers. I personally like to go down to home depot and get some sheetmetal for A/C ducting and make my own.

5 Tubing, valves, resivor, expansion chamber, ect..... - Home Depot Baby! They sell reinforced and vinyl tubing in various sizes. Use reinforced tubing with 1/2" ID for most of your system. Also pick up some hose clamps, I use them religously. You will also need some way for the water to expand and contract as it heats and cools. To do this you can use a resivor or an expansion chamber. A resivior can be made out of tupperware or whatever will hold water. I use a piece of 1" vinyl tubing about 1' long as an expansion chamber. I figure it has enough give unless the water starts boiling, and then expansion would be the least of my worries :O . If you use an expansion chamber you will need someway to fill and remove air from the system. For that you will need some vales and fitting also from Home Depot.

What I did was to put the system together dry and go from the pump to the radiator to the water block and back to the pump. I found the highest point from the block back to the pump then cut the hose there, put in a tee and an adapyter to go up to 1" hose. Then I used 1" vinyl hose to return to the pump. I also ran a short hose from the top of the tee to a vavle. I can hook up another hose on top of the valve and use it to fill the system and remove any air bubles.

To make sure I started with no air I first put the system together dry. Then unbolted it leaving all the hoses and hose clamps inplace. Put a mark where you will break the system apart so when you put it back together the hoses won't be twisted. Then I took the whole thing outside. I put it in a mop bucket and filled the bucket with water. Now I broke it at the tee and turned on the pump. Then I moved everything around tilting it this way and that to get all the air out of the system. Then I put the hose back on so no water could leak out or air could leak in. Then drain the water. Next tilt the corner of the bucket and only sbmerge the part you will be breaking and add whatever corosion inhibitor you want. Antifreeze work OK but it is thicker than water and makes the pump work much harder. Redline water wetter does the exact opposite. Anyway add your inhibitor and start your pump and break your system apart and let it run until you anr pushing inhibitor out the system then put it back together.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 23rd January, 2004, 07:04 AM

I've had the fun of building 2 water cooling systems. #1 with Koolance
h2o blocks, Swiftech radiator, 110v pump in res. #2 DangerDen Maze2
block, Iceberg Xtreme rad, Mag3 pump with push/pull 120mm fans. my
only complaint is the 110v pumps are hurting my elec bill more than the
four 500w psu's.
I am converting to 12v pumps run of the psu. but I also went to
http://www.coolerguys.com and purchased a Koolance PC2-601BW.
water cooling in a nice server tower. $189.00USD. nedd to buy a cpu
block which put's the total over $200, but not by much.
http://www.koolance.com also has another style case for $149.00
http://www.infotechnow.com has that case with cpu block for the
same $149.00.
Switech also makes complete kits. look at there site for prices and
ideas too.
good luck and happy water cooling.

Ron

AOA Team fah
Old 23rd January, 2004, 10:32 AM
Member/Contributer

It is probably too pricey, but take a look at the asetek WaterChill kit, it really is a great kit for the price. Click the WaterChill link in my sig to read my review of it. If you only go with CPU cooling it shouldn't be too expensive, but still a great deal better than the aquarius kits.

I'd like to add that if you want DIY, Hydor makes some fine pumps at a fair price.