AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th January, 2004, 11:08 PM

SilentDrive + some noise reduction words

This doesn't necessarily fit in this category since these things do anything but aid cooling. However, cooling is definitely an issue here.

After reading a few reviews, I decided to buy a couple of these for my IBM (shudder) Deskstar (shudder more) 5400rpm 20gb drive and my WD (yay) not-caviar 40gb 7200rpm. The noise was jsut getting to me too much. Here's what i have to say (even though they've been on the market a few years now.

First of all they're only recommended for drives emitting less than 6.8W of heat - both of mine are rated at consuming less power than that - so their heat production should be even less. They say this keeps the temp below 55c, the normal safe specifcation (though it sounds a little toasty to me).

Anyway, the bay enclosures arrived today. From the picture, you should be able to see, the black box is lined with sound/vibration absorbing foamy stuff. Inside this layer are two aluminium plates; the upper one goes over the top of the hard drive, the lower has screw holes to clamp it to the bottom of the drive - probably useful in reducing vibrations and keeping the drive still. You will also notice that the upper plate comes out to the air and only has a few cm2 of surface area; it is the lower plate that is able to dissipate heat to the case - a possible design flaw, it should really be the other way round.

There is a lid to go over the back of the SilentDrive, this means that IDE cables and power cables have to be crushed in the gap between lid and enclosure. A gap has been designed in, but not really enough, everything is quite tight. Rounded cables require pulling the sheath back and the inner strands look quite a lot weaker than your average ribbon cable. I think as long as you're careful, this shouldn't be too much of a problem. The lid is also lined with acoustic absorbtion material.

I confess I was worried about using these things especially since the IBM drive has a tendency to die if the power cable is inserted at a slight angle. However, it booted fine and the bios came up ok, as did windows.

The noise reduction is really incredible. I thought most of the whining in my system was coming from the fans (4x 80mm quiet panaflo + 120mm panaflo on the rad). But these things cut almost all of it out.

There's a small hole in the top of the enclosures to allow for moisture and you can feel the upper aluminium plate through it. The temperature is not nearly as horrific as i thought it would be. I read that there was supposed to be a sticker to put on the drives that would indicate maximum temperature reached, but I didnt get any. The act of looking at them would have been too fiddly anyway.

In summary, these are pretty good at what they do but also quite expensive as is all professional (as in not home made) acoustic dampening.

So here's some of my home-made recipes for noise reduction.

1) I've noticed that when my fans are screwed in tightly, they seem to be contorted sligthly which is bad for vibrations. So Ive made sure the holes are more neatly spaced and that fans aren't in too tight.

2) Rubber/felt feet on my pump to reduce vibrations.

3) Cheap acoustic material - offcut carpets. I'm not sure what effect this has had but I've only put it in areas where it has sheet steel on both sides, behind the motherboard tray etc. (farraday's cage preventing build up of any static etc.) Probably not nearly as good as professional stuff, but it can't really hurt heat control in a watercooled system.

To some my reckless regard for hardware safety may be appauling but consider this:

the system you see in these pictures is quiet, overclocked from xp1700 to 2ghz, contains a radeon 9700pro, two hard drives 256mb of samsung pc2700 and some carpet. Also it is entirely self contained in a midi tower case and averages only about 35C load or 30 with the case open.
Attached Thumbnails
SilentDrive + some noise reduction words-p1010103.jpg   SilentDrive + some noise reduction words-p1010100.jpg   SilentDrive + some noise reduction words-p1010100.jpg   SilentDrive + some noise reduction words-p1010106.jpg  

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th January, 2004, 08:35 PM
AOA Staff

I can't stand a noisey PC, either!

I am using an Antec TrueBlue PSU which will run my case fans at a low speed when it's not under load.

I have spotted these things (Acoustifan Anti-Vibration Gel Mounts)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...sories_34.html

but have as yet to buy some, I guess they could be put to use elsewhere in a case, not just on the fans.
Old 27th January, 2004, 09:31 PM
Member/Contributer

I've had the pleasure of trying out some professional noise reduction mats, pictures included. It was in my old case which I have now sold, along with the mats.

The professional mats did indeed help, but case temps rose too.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, stigweed!
Attached Thumbnails
SilentDrive + some noise reduction words-nk3.jpg   SilentDrive + some noise reduction words-nk6.jpg  
Old 28th January, 2004, 12:10 AM

yeah I couldn't afford a nice PSU with variable speed fans and all so I changed the ones in my QTec for a couple of panaflo's. So much quieter.

However, all this tinkering has led me to notice that there's something small rattling around inside my water pump. Being at uni I can't really afford to risk spilling water everywhere, what with all the important work I've got stored.Spillage is the one problem with a system that cramped.

Everything seems stable as it is, I'm probably killing my HDs off slightly faster but I'll probably have upgraded before then.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th January, 2004, 07:57 PM
AOA Staff

I am trying out a Zalman heat pipe HD cooler which fixes the drive to the chasis using 4 rubber mounts. These help reduce noise and vibration. the drive is effectively suspended by rubber.

I think putting foam on the drive bay bezel as shown by Allan is a good idea. It will kill some noise without affecting the cases abilty to conduct heat away. Foam or carpet in key places is the way to do it.
Old 28th January, 2004, 08:00 PM

i had considered those Zalman heatpipes (the have them at quietpc.com as well). but even with rubber mounts the whine of the HD would probably still be there. these things pretty muhc cut if out completely.

AOA Team fah
Old 28th January, 2004, 08:08 PM
AOA Staff

My 80Gb WD, isn't all that noisey to begin with. The DVD / CD drive is noisey though. I bought a Teac one hoping it would be more solid an quiet, but it's very similar to any other. The only quiet CD drive I have is an Iomega external burner which is in a nice solid case.
Old 28th January, 2004, 08:13 PM

My old matsui DVD was incredibly noisy, my samsung combi drive (SM352) is incredbily quiet now though. I do like samsung stuff

AOA Team fah
Old 28th January, 2004, 08:54 PM
AOA Staff

Does that Samsung drive burn CDs or just read them?

EDIT: I mean burn DVDs!
Old 28th January, 2004, 09:02 PM

no. by combi i mean DVD reader, CDRW

AOA Team fah
Old 29th January, 2004, 02:38 AM

HD noise

Hi,

I discovered too it was my IBM deskstar 7200 which had an annoying whine. A Seagate Barrcuda 7200.7 SATA was an excellent replacement , really quiet, so much so I`m getting a second to set up a RAID striping set. Acoustic padding raised temps for me too in my last PC , and didnt do much for noise ..£20 down the tubes
Abit NF-7S Ver 2.0 Bios 23 , Barton2600 xp-m @2.60ghz(FSB 200@13.0x ) 1.95 VCore ,Asetek KT03 kit , 1GB Winbond PC3200 CAS 2.0, Nvidia FX5900 Ultra @478/908 ,2x80gb Seagate Barracuda V SATA RAID 0 ,Creative Audigy 2,Sandra PR3528,3Dmark v3.04 6106.WinXP Pro Sp1 5.1.2600. Prime95 stable.

New sys AMD SD3700 , 1GB OCZ 4200 Plat Ver 2.0 , DFI Nforce4 SLI-DR, MSI 6800GT, OCZ Modstream 520W , Audigy 2 ZS, all going to be frosted in a Mach2 GT Prommy :-)
Old 29th January, 2004, 05:10 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Ah! Very nice! Let's go front page!!

http://www.aoaforums.com/
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 30th January, 2004, 01:59 PM

sweet.

AOA Team fah
Old 30th January, 2004, 04:16 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
I've had the pleasure of trying out some professional noise reduction mats, pictures included. It was in my old case which I have now sold, along with the mats.

The professional mats did indeed help, but case temps rose too.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, stigweed!
I'm really surprised it raised temps more than 1 or 2 degrees. I did a similar thing with some cheap egg crate foam to my wifes PC back in the days of the delta screamers. It quieted down the PC considerably and didn't affect temps at all.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 30th January, 2004, 04:37 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

It's probably more to do with changing the airflow through the case. I've always wondered why people like putting lots of fans in their cases, and then having the majority of the as empty space. Doesn't seem to be much point cooling empty space to me.
Old 4th February, 2004, 02:28 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Ancient1

One can carve rings from dried silicon and use them as vibration dampening on fans and HDDs.
According to my experience ,once a fan has free movement it produces less noise.
I have Antec Sonata which comes fitted with that solution, and less tightening of screws helps.

NF7-S Ver2.0 heatsinked and WC.
WCed Barton 2500+
256Mb CL2.5 TwinMos 3200 @200 7332
MSI Ti4600 VTD 333/693 WCed.
SONATA case 380W TruePower + Acoustipack kit.
x2 Raptor 36Gb Raid
few more IDE HDDs and rounded Cables and TVtuner.
Samsung 959NF, Painted BLACK.
LiteOn 48x24x48x16 Combo Painted Black
Soon Freezer cooled WC sys.
...ongoing project...