AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th January, 2002, 03:01 AM

I could link it but that would defeat the point in writing it up, as this thread does not help someone do it themselves, people want something more than this to read

Ill link it if he does not want to write it up though

or if u insist i link it
XP1700+@1627Mhz unlocked
256MB Crucial PC2100
Aopen HX08
30GB Desktar
17" screen
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th January, 2002, 03:21 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

LOL Conrad I was yanking your chain, and trying to get you something I could link to":O}

In truth I encourage our readers to become writers and post their articles and reviews on our allied sites. I feel this helps make for a very robust and energetic forums.

That you see the value of posting such material speaks well of you.., say how often has THAT happened!? LOL
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th January, 2002, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel ~
LOL Conrad I was yanking your chain
My toilet is automatic flush, no chain here
XP1700+@1627Mhz unlocked
256MB Crucial PC2100
Aopen HX08
30GB Desktar
17" screen
Old 18th January, 2002, 06:01 AM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For CPU cooling, the unidirectional blast straight from the blower is probably the best, just for the sheer speed and volume of the air.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kaitain,

Sheer speed and volume of air is not everything in air cooling. The limitation is still on the Heatsink used. If you take a look at the air flow over cooling efficiency curve. The limit of the air flow that each models of heatsink have are limited. It will come to a pleatau of the curve and level off, any extra flow may not be useful but harmful as it may cause turbulance within the fin of the heatsink itself, thus lowering its efficiency.
Old 18th January, 2002, 10:34 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by RudyNg
quote:
It will come to a pleatau of the curve and level off, any extra flow may not be useful but harmful as it may cause turbulance within the fin of the heatsink itself, thus lowering its efficiency.
Surely you want turbulance within the fin area of the heatsink in order to effect better heat transfer? I thought that a laminar airflow over the fin area would reduce the heat transfer?

AidanII
Old 18th January, 2002, 11:17 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Surely you want turbulance within the fin area of the heatsink in order to effect better heat transfer? I thought that a laminar airflow over the fin area would reduce the heat transfer?
You want a turbulent air profile. Convective heat transfer is an order of magnitude greater in a turbulent profile than in a laminar profile.

Quote:
The limit of the air flow that each models of heatsink have are limited. It will come to a pleatau of the curve and level off, any extra flow may not be useful but harmful as it may cause turbulance within the fin of the heatsink itself, thus lowering its efficiency.
First up, fin efficiency is a function of the heat transfer coefficient. The heat transfer coefficient (larger is better) is directly proportional to a power of the speed. This power is less than one but greater than zero, so yeah, it does reach a point where increasing the velocity of the air does not make a significant improvement but it does NOT reduce the rate of heat transfer. Unless you end up with dead airspace. And given the design of most heatsinks, that's unlikely.
Old 18th January, 2002, 03:36 PM

Send a message via ICQ to e_storm

Quote:
Originally posted by RudyNg
The only way to utilise this blower for cooling computer effectively is to control the air flow of the fan.
With all the back pressure and turbulance that the air pressure from the fan is contributing, the area that need the most criticle cooling ( CPU ) may not be cooled efficiencly.
As such the balancing of the air flow to suit the casing is very important for optimium performance.
The blower will be attached to the outside of the case right above the CPU HS so that it blows directly onto the HS. Don't worry about chip cooling, it will be very good, much better than any chip fan you can put on the HS (comparable at the very least).

As far as air flow control, I'm sure there will be hot spots in the case just by looking at the case air flow design, but all major and important components should have very good air flow and be very cool .
Old 18th January, 2002, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel ~
Feel free to link to the thread! LOL

Would make a good article though wouldn't it, how about one or both of you stretching this out for Conrad?
I plan on writing an article once I complete the project...

It may take a bit of time, as I'm getting a crash course in electronics, circuitry design, and circuit construction. I already know physically how to construct the circuit and the components needed, but I'd like to understand why so I can answer the questions that may come up after posting the article.

*edit*...Actually, I have part of it written on my website already. I put a link to it but: 1) that would be shameless promotion, 2) the data traffic on my site is very limited and with all the pics no one would be able to see it after the first 2 guys went there and looked at the pics.

Last edited by e_storm; 18th January, 2002 at 03:45 PM.
Old 18th January, 2002, 06:06 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by e_storm

I plan on writing an article once I complete the project...

It may take a bit of time, as I'm getting a crash course in electronics, circuitry design, and circuit construction. I already know physically how to construct the circuit and the components needed, but I'd like to understand why so I can answer the questions that may come up after posting the article.

*edit*...Actually, I have part of it written on my website already. I put a link to it but: 1) that would be shameless promotion, 2) the data traffic on my site is very limited and with all the pics no one would be able to see it after the first 2 guys went there and looked at the pics.
I'm sure you could work out a duel posting with Conrad":O}

And of course their is the forums.... LOL
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 18th January, 2002, 06:14 PM

if it was to go on my site i would not publish it if it were anywhere else
XP1700+@1627Mhz unlocked
256MB Crucial PC2100
Aopen HX08
30GB Desktar
17" screen
Old 20th January, 2002, 11:44 AM

I trie this sort of thing a while back.. I pulled the heater blower from a Ford fiesta I was stripping. It was a centrifulgal blower, i have no idea of the cfm but it was atleast 300cfm, if not more.. I attached it to 12volts from a car battery and it would blow 1 inch round stones along the ground!

I proceeded to attatch a "robinsons Special R" fuit juice bottle to the outlet and some 2.5 inch ducting to then end of that. at 12volts it was a VERY conentrated stream of airflow... kinda silly actually,

I then took it home, and attempted to wire the thing up to my PSU - NO luck, it drew too much power from the 12v rail and tripped the system out!

I settled with running it off 5volts, musta been ~100cfm (perhaps a bit less)
It was very quiet, and cooled about 3c better than the delta38 that was on. (duron800@1000 1.85v 55w heat)
I think I was using a fop sink.
I never got round to rigging it up to the full 12volts tho.. now im watercooled because i HATE noise!

Dogs can never have too much fun! See Marge, Weee, weee, woo! wayhey! weeeeeeeee!!! -Homer
Old 23rd January, 2002, 06:56 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to CNUCompGuy Send a message via AIM to CNUCompGuy Send a message via Yahoo to CNUCompGuy

ok, just curious....I keep hearing u guys talk about gettin that blower on the side to cool the CPU/MB better and about all of the air it's goin to push in there, but what about getting the air outta there?? lol, well, I guess u can do what I did and just take the side panel off....if ur case is like mine, then the panel behind the MB is open except for where the motherboard is set....if not then I guess ur SOL, lol, j/k, anywayz, good luck with this, I hope it works out for ya, ttyl
Old 23rd January, 2002, 05:12 PM

Well, the hole in the case frame usually reserved for the front intake fan is the exhaust port. You seal up all other holes, this helps to direct the airflow all the way through the case and over the northbridge and southbridge and PCI cards.
Old 23rd January, 2002, 05:57 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to CNUCompGuy Send a message via AIM to CNUCompGuy Send a message via Yahoo to CNUCompGuy

cool, sounds like u got it all straight, have fun....ttyl